Bungie to “penalise” Reach quitters

Sunday, 1st August 2010 15:10 GMT By Joe Anderson

haloreach10

Bungie’s Brian Jarrard has said anyone rage-quitting Halo Reach on a regular basis will find themselves punished.

Speaking to Xbox360Achievements, Jarrard said:

“I think one of the new things people will be excited about is how we’re going to be able to penalise people who are habitually quitting out of games, which isn’t exactly cheating, but it creates a really negative experience for everybody else in the game.

“We actually have new tools now to detect that and eventually, people who do this habitually will actually be penalised. We want to be able to remove them from the population so they can’t make everyone else keep having a bad time.”

This is just the latest Reach-related news from Bungie’s European visit this week. Get everything else from it here.

Halo: Reach releases on September 14 worldwide for Xbox 360 in three different options.

1. DeSpiritusBellum

I don’t think punishing players is ever really the way to go, but it is very annoying when a server just flushes out.

Modern Warfare did it exactly right by offering a bonus to anyone staying through the game.

2. Joe Anderson

Yeah what happens if you are one of these people that has to go for a piss every two seconds? or have a crappy internet connection.

3. Boris Fett

@2 They *did* say they would only do it to people who do it habitually.

Unless your connection is so bad that you get kicked off the internet every single time you start a match, it’s doubtful they’re going to ban you. That’s just common sense.

If you connection *is* that bad, you should be contacting you ISP and demand they fix it, as they’re legally obliged to.

4. Joe Anderson

@3 just saying.

I couldn’t bring myself to play Halo personally, not really been a fan at all so far, although saying that Reach is looking mighty fine.

5. Crysis

this is a good idea, too many times have i lost due to droppers, it is no fun, also winning over a team which has had droppers is also no fun, takes out the excitement of winning with even odds, maybe banning them for 1min after they pressed quit is a sufficient enough penalty, adding an extra min ‘banned’ time for each time they do, resseting after a fortnigh or month or something

6. DeSpiritusBellum

@5 I don’t think excluding people from the game is the solution. You should make them want to participate. Just don’t give them any XP for that round if they wimp out. People are vain as hell, it really works.

I’ve been playing MW2 off and on since release, and I very rarely see people quitting. They all want the XP, and ultimately I think that leads to a more mature take on losing.

Losing always sucks, but when you lose more by quitting, you pretty much have to accept it as part of the game. But you should also do something to balance it, so it doesn’t become noobs versus veterans by virtue of people jumping teams.

I think shooters in general are in a pretty good place evolution wise, but they’re all lacking in balance. It should be possible to make a virtual ladder and distribute people according to that.

7. xino

what if you get disconnected or cable comes out?

8. Callum

Over the years games have shifted to a ‘less penalties and more reward’ system that seems to work ok…this seems to be a giant step backwards? Reward the players who stay, ignore the ones who don’t. simples!

9. Boris Fett

@7 They’re not going to penalise you for a few random drops. Geez.

10. LOLshock94

shit why am i buying this………..

lol jokes why doesnt every game do this

and hope its not like froza where if u draw a dick u get banned then draw dick again the ur banned 4 ever

11. GitForceGemini

Bungie should use the carrot and not the stick.

If you’re not enjoying yourself, you have every right to call it quits.

12. revolting

Any time you start talking about punishing paying customers, you’re setting yourself up for some backlash. While I can see why quitters annoy the hell out of serious gamers, this will be a massive turn off for casual players. And by casual I don’t mean the wii/party game crowd, I mean people who play Halo just for fun. Personally, I switch back and forth between the two. While this is unlikely (hopefully) to penalise people for genuine disconnects, it still sets a worrying trend. Quite often I’d play some Halo 3 multiplayer before work, and then have to bail out when time to get myself going came around- this system would see me punished for that. As it is I already earned loads of xbox Live negative ratings for leaving early. While the system’s intentions are sensible and reasonable, the execusion is flawed at best.

I can only see this being fair if it’s only applied to ranked matches, but even then it’s still leaning towards too harsh. Real life just isn’t as clearly defined as “Player left early = unsportsman-like!” Not everyone can sit around all day playing games, and sometimes unfortunately when you need to stop playing, it’s mid-match. Does that mean you should not be allowed to enjoy Halo multiplayer as much as any other paying customer? The quote “We want to be able to remove them from the population” is particularly worrisome.

13. Gekidami

Manage your time better? If you have to go out in 5mins dont start playing a game. In a game like this where people cant join already started matches, i’m all for penalising people who quit often because their quiting is leaving empty spaces in that match which it turn (may) penalise the people that decided to stay in the game.

And for the record Halo 3 also penalised quitters. But the ranking system was so shitty it was useless.

14. chronoss2

too stupid!!!! Everybody’s not a NERD to sit in front on a game for more than 1 or 2 hours. Sometimes i put a game online to play a little bit, not spend my day sticked to the controller. And I really don’t care to lose points or I dunno what, I am somebody who plays videogames for the pleasure. Only noobs play Halo an Call of Duty, everybody knows that.

15. Blerk

So… it won’t be a problem for you then, right?

16. Tonka

Fuck you up the ass mother fucking Bungie! It’s my fucking game and I do whatever the fuck I want. I’m not going to sit through an entire match filled with whiny little teens just because you get on your mighty fucking fascist horse.

Thank you very much. FUCKERS!

17. Blerk

Perhaps they could introduce a system that penalises you for being a whiny little teen?

18. Tonka

And estrange 95% of their fucking userbase? Fat fucking chance of “Ohh ladi fucking dah play our game or we will fucking punish you” Bungie ever doing that.

19. Tonka

Plus, didn’t they leave MS so that they could have some “creative freedom?” Is this it? A fascist version of Halol 3?

Well, colour me unimpressed.

Wank bags.

20. Blerk

I wasn’t really talking about Bungie, I just meant ‘in general’. :-D

21. Callum

Lol Tonka, will you be buying this game out of interest?

22. Crysis

“I’ll continue to fucking quit until I found a bunch of grown up level headed GOOD players.” very grown up yourself, ey?

23. chronoss2

@16 : you are my idol hhhhhhhhhh

24. LOLshock94

@22 hahahaha XD

25. Tonka

@21 No fucking way. Although I will make sure we get it for the office!

One thing I really like about Halol “motherfucking” 3 is that that it has split screen multi player.

That’s still in innit? Otherwise Bungie can go fuck themselves. If I want to pretend I’m some superhero space ranger I’ll play Toy Story and wank myself to sleep in my Buzz Lightyear bed sheet.

26. Crysis

@Tonka, do you have Tourette’s syyndrome?

27. Mike

He can’t even use that as an excuse unfortunately.

28. Tonka

It would have been more fun if they cuntalized their players.

29. Crysis

u sound like a 12 yo kid who was dropped on his head as a baby

30. _Sikamikanico_

I agree with what Bungie have done on this one. The key word here is “habitually” – if you are quitting out every game just because you might lose, or you don’t like who you’re playing with, then FUCK YOU. Enjoy your 15 minute sit out, you annoying little self-centered git. If you can’t play a team game with your team, and stick it through to the bitter end, then what do I care? Stick to playing a playlist that doesn’t punish everyone else when you can’t be arsed.

The occasional quit because someone is at the door, or because you have to go to work is fair enough. But they are talking about continual quitters.

/RANT.

31. No_PUDding

Just curious, where was this Buzz-Lightyear bedsheet purchased?

32. Tonka

Found it cheap in one of those Bargin Barns type stores! HAve one with woody but he doesn’t do it for me. (I think it’s his voice)