Lord British reigns supreme in NCSoft suit, walks away with $28 million

Friday, 30th July 2010 07:03 GMT By Nathan Grayson

richardgarriott2

In 2008, Ultima creator Richard “Lord British” Garriott was on top of the world. Literally. He had a cushy seat atop one of the world’s largest MMO developers, and he – you know – went to outer space. Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there.

Until today.

After suing NCSoft last year, lassoing the MMO behemoth, and dragging it back to his home turf of Texas, Garriott was recently awarded $28 million by a federal court.

Apparently, Garriott was seeking $47 million – not $24 million as was initially reported. Still, $28 million is nothing to scoff at, and Garriott – fictional royalty though he may be – seemed pretty satisfied with the $28 million chunk of change that landed in his cup.

“I am extremely pleased with the jury’s decision,” Garriott said in a statement to the Statesman. “The facts were clear that my departure from NCsoft was not voluntary. I am very pleased with the final award.”

After firing Garriott in 2008, NCSoft alleged that the Ultima creator’s departure was voluntary – a tiny swipe of red ink that would have had a major impact on Garriott’s stock options. Garriott, of course, was outraged – especially seeing as he’d just spent $20 million on a couple round-trip rocket ship tickets – and it seems the court felt the same way.

With his days of space travel at least temporarily behind him, Garriott’s focus now rests on getting something not powered by rocket fuel off the ground: a new social media venture known as Portalarium.  Sounds like one small step for social media, and one giant leap for made-up words to us. Although, with a brand new cash infusion, that small step might end up making some pretty sizable prints.

1. frostquake

Puke-o-rama…. Why do the Fubar and crazy all give them-self a “lord” title??

Though if he was truly involuntary separated, I understand the law suit, but wow I couldn’t work for this self righteous seemingly pretentious prick!!

2. Boris Fett

Self righteous? Pretentious?

How is he self righteous? Because he has an open and honest opinion?

Considering he single-handedly created one of the most popular franchises in gaming history (until old-EA raped the entire franchise into the ground), he opinion has a bit more lee-way than most.

I easily rate this guy as one of the industry’s greatest luminaries.

As for pretentious? Really? You… do realise the whole Lord British thing was only ever in fun and was never meant to be taken seriously, right?

3. Epic Fool

^ What he said.

4. revolting

More than anything else, I find it greatly amusing that Garriott was interviewed by the Statesman – presumably not the main hero of NCSoft’s City of Heroes/Villains who bears the same name. :)

I listed to a neat interview with Garriott on Massively a few months back. Having experienced and learned from both the ulimate success and ultimate failure sides of MMOs and games in general, he has some pretty awesome ideas for radical changes to the MMO scene. Would be neat to see some of this cash getting invested into developing them further.

5. frostquake

Hmmm Give me MILLIONS and MILLIONS of Dollars and I will go up into space instead of using it for humanity reasons here on good old planet Earth, But Hey if you have already got Millions invested in making this Earth Better, then go ahead and Burn up Millions in Rocket Fuel…I know NO ONE here on VG247 who wouldn’t take a Million Dollar Bill and Set it on fire, just to watch it burn…LOL, I mean it’s not like the whole worlds Economy is in the Toilet. I am sure the times he went into space he cured Cancer and Aids in one sweep of his magic scepter and didn’t just do it, so he could brag to his friends that he is one of few civilians that went to space. Hey give me 20 Million Dollars for a Space Ticket, and I will cash it in for something else here on Earth…but hey that is just me. I say what ever gets your Rocket Erect…go for it, and to hell with humanity, we are all doomed by 2012 anyway…ROFLMAO!!!