Sony announces UK Move pricing, details Starter Pack

Thursday, 29th July 2010 11:59 GMT By Patrick Garratt

move4

Sony’s announced the UK pricing of PlayStation Move, further detailing the Starter Pack that will release alongside it.

The Motion Controller itself will be £34.99, while the Sub Controller will be £24.99.

The PlayStation Eye will cost £24.99.

There will also be a £49.99 bundle featuring the Motion Controller, the Eye and a starter disc.

Starter Pack

The disc will contain, as well as an instructional video, the following demos on the disc:

• Sports Champions
  • Start the Party!
  • The Shoot
  • EyePet: Move Edition
  • TV Superstars
  • Tiger Woods PGA TOUR ® 11 (English only)
  • echochrome ii (PSN title)
  • Tumble (PSN title)
  • Beat Sketchers (PSN title)

Sony’s been keen to point out this morning that the Sub Controller isn’t necessary to play Move-enabled games: you can use a DualShock instead.

PlayStation Move launches on September 15 in Europe, September 18 in the US and on October 21 in Japan.

1. V_Ben

those are some surprisingly decent prices. I’ll get the bundle with a sub controller. :)

2. KAP

Kinect is £129 right?

Move it is then.

3. Blerk

Very smart of them to ‘break up’ the cost here rather than bundle it all together. That’s worked a treat for Nintendo.

4. woodyrulesok

Well for me to get two move controllers and two sub controllers, that’s £120.
    I imagine you’ll be able to get cheaper deals online though.

Not a lot cheaper than M$ £130.
    I assume that’s what they meant when they said it’s competitively priced.

5. cookiejar

Pre-ordered.

6. get2sammyb

Already ordered one. Seeing as I only really need a single Move controller (but I’m buying two), I was always in. In fact — I’m so sold on this I’m getting the whole job-lot of goodies: 2 x Move controller, charging dock, 1 x Navi, 1 x gun container.

Seriously cannot wait for Sports Champions. Buying it purely for the table tennis. Software prices are great.

7. ARFarokhi

OMG! seems like MOVE is soooooooooooo popular here! in fact, it should be, ’cause along with casual games, there are several hardcore games for it. Good for SONY! :D

8. ninjanutta

im nicely suprised and more excited about move than i ever thought i could be,after seeing the vids on it the other day,i think it makes sence to have two wands for a lot of games,i will gaet the whole package i think.the 3d aspect looks promising too,cant wait for my 3dtv to arrive

9. Zurtech

Prices aren’t too bad, until you consider, some games need two motion controllers or two sub-controllers.

Base pack is fine, but if ye want the sub-controller too, then the that’s £75, plus a possible extra £60 for an additional sub-controller and navigation one too, for specific titles.

So there is a possible £135 price tag if ye wanted to get everything ye’d need to play all games. Add to that the fighting game that needs two sub-controllers, if it has two-player, ye’d need to fork out an extra £50 for another two for the second player.

10. ianos

The Dual Shock 3 can substitute for a Sub Controller if you don’t want to buy one, so that’s a potential saving.

11. Blerk

I still think a DS3′s going to be very difficult to use one-handed. If you’re going to buy Move you may as well get the full thing.

12. Johnny Cullen

Yeah, what Blerk said.

I just can’t picture myself playing Move with a DS3. Just seems weird.

13. Happy Hardon Harry

No thanks, i’ve got the Wii for motion controlled games.

14. Psychotext

Surprised they didn’t bundle that PS3 sports game.

15. get2sammyb

@11, @12 – You’re right, it would be awkward — but the point is that they’re giving you a choice. It might not be ideal, but it’s nice that it’s there. Obviously if you’re investing in this you may aswell have the Navi — though you probably won’t need it straight away now that SOCOM’s been delayed as I don’t think any of the launch titles support the Navi.

I reckon they’ll do The Fight Wii Play style, and bundle it with an additional Move to be honest.

16. cookiejar

Yeah you’d probably wanna buy the SubCon as well, but I’m going to try the DS3 all the same. If its just using the stick for motion, and not using the buttons so much, it should be fine. You can grip the controller in the middle – its how you do for High Velocity Bowling, anyway.

17. ianos

@11/12

Like I said, and like others have chipped in with – it’s just the fact you CAN use the DS3 if you want. It’s not ideal, but at least the option’s there. I would have taken any other option open to me rather than fork out for another bloody nunchuck. Alas, there was none.

18. 2plus2equals5

There’s no need of two moves for a single player, for example sport champion can be played with one or two moves and not every game need sub controller. So i think that as a beginning the starter pack is perfect.

19. Happy Hardon Harry

Sony should be bundling the Motion Controller, Sub Controller and PlayStation Eye for £25. Maybe then they’ll actually shift some units.

Sony are in the same dilemma as MS regarding their peripherals in that the hardcore won’t buy them and the casual market won’t buy them as they’ll pick up a Wii as it cheaper than buying Move/Natal plus the PS3/360 console and games to go along with such a set up.

I hope Move/Natal bomb as i hate to see companies cash-in based on the success of a competitor (Nintendo) with such devices and not producing anything original of their own.

It’s bullshit, none of these devices (Move/Natal) do anything new, they just looked at Nintendo and said we’ll have a bit of that.

20. Psychotext

@17: A similar situation wouldn’t really work on the Wii anyway as the nunchuck has motion sensing, you’re actually supposed to be able to move it around as you play. The navi controller on the PS3 is just a stick and some buttons, which is why the DS3 can work as a replacement.

21. DrDamn

The distinction between Move and Kinect for the “hardcore” is that Sony have announced some support in more hardcore games. There has been very little shown or announced of what Kinect will do in hardcore games. It is also easier for standard games to implement Move as an option due to lower processing overheads and flexibility of the controls – lots of buttons and similarity to a standard controller.

Regarding using DS3 as navi. It’s certainly workable – though it will depend on the game. If it’s one which can be played sat down then that’s fine. I also found the older no-rumble controller is better if stood up as it’s lighter – early adopter FTW! ;)

22. Boris Fett

If you buy two bundle packs, that’s already £100. Then there are the games that require two Move wands, like the fighting game, just to play in single player.

If you want a game to play with it (unless you’re lucky enough to have a game that patches it in), you’re looking at about £130 – 140 for a multi-player experience, or about £100 for a single player one. That’s not a huge difference.

Kinect has multi-player by default due to its design, so the only way that Move will be cheaper to buy is if you already have a camera, or intend to play by yourself.

*This* is exactly what Microsoft meant when they pointed out that the device is competitively priced. Only a very small group of people will the necessary peripherals on hand already to make the Move a cheaper purchase than Kinect.

23. Happy Hardon Harry

The only demographic likely to buy into Move/Natal are those that already have 360′s PS3′s and even then it’s a hard sell. There is no way Mr Joe Average on the street is going to fork out for Move/Natal plus the PS3/360 console, plus games to go along with it and that’s not even touching multiplayer yet, which would add to the cost of ownership.

You only need to look over at any hardcore gaming forum i.e. NTSC UK, RLLMUK, GAF, etc to see that the hardcore just aren’t interested in Move or Natal.

24. _LarZen_

Kinect < Move

Nuff said.

25. _LarZen_

@23 “If Mr Joe Average wants a motion controlled experience then they’ll buy a Wii as it’s cheaper. Simple as that.”

Wel if Mr Joe Avrage aint 10 years old he wil probably buy a X360 or PS3 ;)

26. Happy Hardon Harry

Along with all the other man-childs on PSN/XBL…

27. Crysis

i’ve ogt large hands, holding a dualshock in one hand is no problem, there i already lowered the amount i’m going to spend to $100[AUD] for the starter kit, half the price of Kinect, $200, & for a second person, i need another $60 which is still cheaper.. considering that the DS3 costs $99 here, idk why =\

28. WetSnake

Pre Ordered.
    What?! :P Atleast Sony does have some core games for Move (RE5, KZ3, HR)

29. DrDamn

@Boris Fett
    You kinda hit failure in your first six words there.

30. reask

Thing is 35 quid doesn’t sound bad to the average punter so it will be worth a try.
    Then if you like it you can get the add ons.
    I reckon Sony are going the right way with this.
    Edit: the starter disc sounds quite good value as well.

31. Boris Fett

@29 Care to elaborate instead of being a blind troll?

32. Quiiick

The disc within this starter-pack looks useless to me. Generally, adding software to a hardware bundle in order to add value is a real cheap trick. Costs a manufacturer close to nothing to throwing in some software. Besides, I’m sure you can get all these demos on PSN for download as well.

I’d personally prefer a “pro” starter-pack for MOVE containing:

- 1 PS-Eye
    - 2 Motion Controllers
    - 1 Sub-Controller

£80 would be a nice price for such a bundle (instead of £120 if you buy these separately).

33. The Hindle

Youre crazy if you buy this or Kinect seriously i cant see how anyone would want it.

34. DrDamn

Bundle pack contains motion controller, camera and disc. Why would you want two cameras and two discs?

35. DrDamn

Yeah I’d like to see some love for us fools who already have a camera too.

36. justiceblob

I find it reasonably annoying that there is no value pack for long term customers who bought the Eye years ago. I’m sure with a bit of bartering I can get to two sets with a game for £100

37. reask

I fancy trying the tiger woods game with it actually.
    I mean if it was accurate I reckon it would make the game more enjoyable for idiots like me who can never suss the greens using the controller. :(

38. Dannybuoy

Good prices I’d say. I’m happy to try using DS3 in my left hand, but don’t mind spending the extra for the nav. I’m up for two Moves though. If they can make a vine climbing mechanic that Sony showed the other day (Cameleon demo) in Uncharted 3 then Move has win written all over it. Just Imagine climbing up a vine yourself, being followed by grunts. You can stop, hang with one hand and shoot with the other. Please Naughty Dog. Hear my crys.. wahahhahahhhhaaa

39. LOLshock94

PS3 with a dildo errrrmmmmmmmm……………..