Nintendo UK hints at sub-£200 pricing for 3DS

Thursday, 29th July 2010 14:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

3ds4

Nintendo UK marketing boss James Honeywell has hinted to Electricpig that 3DS will be sold for under £200 in the UK.

“Price, we haven’t made any kind of announcement at the moment, but for everyone who already knows, you know, the Nintendo DSi is available for around £129.99,” said Honeywell at a Nintendo event in London earlier this week.

He went on to add: “The Nintendo DSi XL, with the larger screens, is around £159.99. So obviously, it’s going to fit, kind of, somewhere within that kind of architecture.”

Nintendo hasn’t confirmed any prices yet for 3DS for any region, nor has it confirmed launch dates, but it announced earlier this morning it will announce those details on September 29.

It did previously confirm that it will be in the major regions by the end of March 2011.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Tonka

Well it better fucking be!

2. Happy Hardon Harry

I’ll get this on day 1 depending on the price and games available at launch. If it’s £149.99 (or there about’s) and has Ocarina of Time (in 3D) at launch then it’s already bought.

3. get2sammyb

£199.99 with some kind of tech-demoish software and I’m there day one.

4. Tonka

I’ll by 3 and set fire to two of them.

5. Johnny Cullen

MGS3DS.

Have that day one, and I’m sold, regardless of price for the thing itself.

6. Callum

MGS3DS or 3D Ocarina bundle and it’s a day one regardless of price. I need this.

7. Bloodyghost

$199.99
    MGS,SSF4, Ocarina, Paper Mario, and more! I am in!

8. sickpuppysoftware

I’d be hoping for a £150ish price tag.

By hope I mean “I won’t pay more than”

9. cookiejar

I’d give it a punt for that price.

I haven’t bought Nintendo hardware in years!

10. AHA-Lambda

199.99 then?

11. Bloodyghost

I will pay up to 230 no more. I think the price tag will be 210 dollars now.

12. LOLshock94

last time mgs was on a nintendo console it was fucking shit (MGS 1)

13. Bloodyghost

@12 well this one looks better. Also I do not want to feel asleep playing it.

14. Tomo

What the fuck?! People are seriously considering paying 200 quid for a 3DS?!

The original one was only 100 quid! I’m expecting a £150 price tag, which will be too much for me. £125 and we’re talking.

200 quid seriously… You can get a fucking Wii and games for that.

15. LOLshock94

if theres a R43d card then il buy it :)

16. Madlink

@ Tomo
    You didn’t seriously think it would come out at £150 did you? Sure the original DS was only £99, but the models since have only pushed the price further up.
    The latest model, the DSi XL, launched with an RRP of £159.99.
    If the 3DS releases within the next six months at £200 or below, then I’d consider that pretty fair pricing.

“You can get a fucking Wii and games for that”
    It is crazy how cheap you can get a Wii nowadays. GAME, and I’m sure other places, are selling their preowned Wii hardware for £79.99!

17. Happy Hardon Harry

The 3DS won’t be £200 (or over), that’s for sure, Nintendo aren’t in the market of producing highly priced hardware, they want their systems to be mainstream and such a price tag, whatever it may be at launch, will no doubt reflect this.

18. Spaced Oddity

£199/229 Euros/$249 at launch
    And it’ll still sell more than the $249 PSP did.

19. bugmenot

i’m going with £229. There’s enough tech premium in there for nintendo to justify it. How many autostereoscopic devices are there on the market? If the dsixl is £150 and this has a vastly improved processor, memory, screen(s), motion sensor, on top of the old ds processors for backward compatibility(arm9+arm7), what is likelyhood it will be just £50 more?

20. Crysis

@bugmenot, i could buy 2 Wiis or 2 360 Arcades @£229

21. frostquake

Cullen you need to translate those German Euros into American Dollars for those of us who are in the USA??

Thanks :)

22. bugmenot

@crysis
    i appreciate that but you cant compare as yet unreleased 2011-tech prices to 2005-tech prices in 2010.

23. 2plus2equals5

Good price, but am i the only one who thinks that touchscreen- based games will disappear?