Sony confirms August 17 date for gamescom presser

Wednesday, 28th July 2010 12:17 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ps3slim5

SCEE’s just confirmed it’s holding its gamescom press conference on Tuesday, August 17 in Cologne.

The press conference kicks off at 6.00pm CET (5.00pm BST).

Sony’s also announced the first batch of games its taking to the show, which includes:

• Killzone 3
  • Gran Turismo 5
  • inFamous 2
  • LittleBigPlanet 2
  • DC Universe Online
  • Journey
  • Motorstorm: Apocalypse
  • Sorcery

This is only the second press conference to be announced for the show: EA said two weeks ago that it will be holding its presser on the same day as Sony’s, earlier in the afternoon.

gamescom takes place between August 18-22.

1. Blerk

Is Microsoft bothering to do one this year? No doubt Nintendo won’t be showing up again.

2. Elven_Star

Sorcery and Journey. yay!

3. The Hindle

What kind of new announcements are people expecting from Gamescom? I think it will be more new features for games we know about.

4. Johnny Cullen

Microsoft hasn’t really said if they are doing a presser again.

I should actually get in touch with them about it.

5. mington

I’ve been trying to watch this DC Universe Online trailer all day, i can only get half way through it before i have to switch it off and pretend i’m doing work

6. get2sammyb

@3 – yeah I agree. I think it will be stuff like, “We’ve already shown you Killzone 3′s single-player, now take a look at the multiplayer.”

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a new Move game announcement or two. Perhaps that survival horror game that’s shown up in some splash trailers?

I’m also expecting more On-Demand TV apps for Europe as a whole. ITV Player, 4OD, etc.

Other than that, I’m really just anticipating more trailers, more gameplay, etc of games I’m already aware of and excited for. That’ll suit me fine anyway! :)

7. cookiejar

I’m hoping to hear more about the software on board PS3. Perhaps a refreshed XMB and cross game chat! Although, one can only hope.

Other than that, anything is good. Sony are usually pretty decent at Gamescom.

8. Blerk

I’m expecting a rerun of E3 for the benefit of people with really short memories.

9. Anders

Last year, Microsofts gamescom “press conference” consisted of thirty minutes of Peter Molyneux talking about Fable III.

10. Aimless

I reckon they’ll demonstrate a non-snowy Killzone 3 level and show off the first public footage of Journey. They’ll also mention 3D so many times that everyone watching will want to die.

11. KAP

Thats one thing i love about SONY they always put there balls on the table with every known gaming event. they can easy say “nah fuck it we’ve shown enough”

Keep it up sony, proud of u guys. all u need to do now is sort your bloody console out. lol

12. cookiejar

@8 Just as long as Microsoft don’t do the same thing. I’ve had enough of Ponchos and Smiling PR faces :)

13. DigitalEnemy

OS 4.0 annoucement
    I predict OS 4.0 annoucement – key features being re-designed XMB and more social features like cross game chat and voice messaging. Also auto sync trophies and a few other highly requested features as per the blog.share website.

Sony annouced OS 3.0 at Gamescom last year, so annoucement of OS 4.0 this year, is highly possible…

14. KrazyKraut

Yo….how they can do a press conf when on 17th when the gamescom starts on 18th?

15. Razor

It better be streamed live this time.

16. Zarckan

They won’t redesign the XMB as it will break every theme and dynamic-theme there is.

17. Quiiick

@ #14 (KrazyKraut)
    It’s absolutely nothing unusual to hold a press-conference 1 day before the show opens for the public. All major trade-shows (E3, TGS, GC) have this tradition in place for years.

Remember: press-conferences are not meant for the public to participate. They’re here to inform the press. That’s why it’s called a “press”-conference. ;)

18. Quiiick

@ #13
    Hopefully they won’t redesign the XMB.
    The saying goes: “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.”

19. Crysis

psp2 announcement!!!

20. KB24

What’s “Journey”?

21. Blerk

Pretty much the most interesting thing announced at E3.

22. LOLshock94

how many 2s and 3s are there lol

23. cookiejar

@18 I don’t mind the XMB myself, I think its one of the best UI’s around.

I’d just like it cleaned up, and the backend improved. For instance, auto syncing of trophies is a must, better/quicker installs for patches and demos and more PSN ID integration would be better. Click on someone’s ID and see a proper bio, what game they last played and info about the game they’re currently playing. Simple stuff really.

24. Quiiick

@ cookiejar
    I absolutely agree 100% with the kind of updates you suggest for PS3 OS 4.0. Especially the auto syncing of trophies and a better install procedure for patches and demos.

Just don’t clutter the XMB interface anymore with useless additions and stupid redundancy (yes, I’m looking at you, Playstation Store!).

25. KrazyKraut

@Quiiick
    thanks for the explanation :)

26. meimei

Good article, Each and power strip,bamboo furniture every point is good enough.Thanks for sharing with us your wisdom.

27. meimei

I am totally agree with your oppinion.this blog post cosmetic packaging,power cable,speaker cable is very encouraging to people who want to know these topics.

28. meimei

Great!This article is creative,there are a lot of new idea,ratchet tiedown,booster-cable,tow-ropeit gives me inspiration.I think I will also inspired by you and think about more new ideas.

29. meimei

I really appreciate booster cable,glue gun what you post.

30. meimei

Your post is rocking and knowledgeable… I really appreciate shower enclosure,computer steam shower room,bed hooks the way you write . I would like to read more from you.

31. meimei

In use of the rails of the test, i don’t understand. I hope paper tissue,solar water heater,solar collector I can improve through learning this respect. But overall, it’s very nice. Thank you for your share!

32. meimei

Your site is in my list and when I need something it is easy to find automatic digital blood pressure monitor,basal thermometer. Thanks!