Capcom upping output on major franchises

Tuesday, 27th July 2010 11:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

re5

According to a Nikkei report, Capcom wants to release more games from its big IPs on a yearly basis.

The publisher has said we’ll now see three or four titles from series like Resident Evil and Monster Hunter as a result reducing development times.

Capcom plans to outsource development on such big franchises to western studios, cutting dev time from four years to two or three years.

Already, its given Canadian-based Blue Castle Studios development duties on Dead Rising 2, while it’s rumoured that Enslaved and Heavenly Sword developer Ninja Theory is working on Devil May Cry 5, something NT’s Tameem Antoniades refused to confirm or deny when we chatted to him in May.

Capcom’s western output has had its ups and downs so far: Swedish studio GRIN went bust last year following its Bionic Commando reboot, and Airtight’s Dark Void only managed a poor run.

Capcom president Haruhiro Tsujimota has said that western studios will no longer be working on new IPs from the firm, instead just focussing on sequels.

Thanks, Andriasang.

1. Robo_1

I wonder what accounts for the two year difference in dev time? Talent, team size, working conditions!

2. Blerk

Japanese teams take an extra 12 months inventing ridiculous control schemes and putting in code to stop you from moving and shooting at the same time. :-)

3. dfar80

I wonder why people complain RE5 wasn’t surival horror but want it turned into more of an actiony shooter by being, literaly, run and gun. Not aimed at you Blerk, but your comment reminded me of the whole nerd rage about that.

4. freedoms_stain

hmmm.

My gut feeling on this is not good tbh.

5. Blerk

I think that was the problem – it was neither one thing nor the other. It wasn’t a survival horror game any more so people couldn’t forgive it the wonky controls, and it wasn’t a proper action game because of the wonky controls.

You’re either doing a slow-paced game, in which case you can get away with more controls-wise, or you’re doing a fast-paced one where you can’t. Capcom seemed to get the mix almost perfectly wrong.

6. Erthazus

First of all it was a survival Action and the bad one.

7. mington

Sheva’s AI was pretty horrific, maybe that was meant to be the horror element

8. Erthazus

@7 Just don’t give her good gun and ammo and she will be a great AI.

AI shoot very well in RE5, but they use every fucking weapon no matter what situation is.

I always used her as a shield and she had only a pistol, while i used every fucking gun and ammo.

9. Crysis

Dino Crisis remake!

10. dfar80

@Blerk:

Actually, I’m not sure I agree. While it’s true the action and more slower paced moments weren’t finely tuned, I still think it’s survival horror. It’s just a different kind of experience people have grown accostumed to. It’s no longer the pointless Myst-like item hunt, but it still is about being underpowered and severely wounded while dealing with multiple zombies. While I’ve enjoyed the series somewhat, and can see the positives of older games, there’s something to be said about how level design is now more open and gives players more chances to act upon immediate danger. You’re still running, still saving ammo, still worried about surviving – it’s just that the pacing is nowhere near as plodding or padded out with a terrible story (RE4), although it deserves its fair share of criticism (most bosses are bollocks, for instance). The tension in 5 is no longer about hearing guys groaning around the corner but not being able to see them; it’s about having a large level, seeing things clearly and still having death become a very likely chance.

To me, not being able to run and shoot at the same time just makes me think the control scheme makes a player mindful of how to play. If I were running and shooting it would be more Modern Warfare.

11. LOLshock94

any chance of capcom remaking there alien vs predator

12. dfar80

By the way, when people complain about RE5′s AI, they only mention Sheva. Have they tried playing with Sheva and having Chris as a companion? The guy was even worse than her :D

13. Crysis

@LOLshock, no, the do not own the publishing rights to the franchise, SEGA currently does

14. OlderGamer

I think RE is a relic. I think it is broken and may need to be reimagined to work again. Back on the PSone, and Dreamcast the JP made slow, plodding “survival horror” game worked. In some ways because of lack of options. The games speed, lack of openness(small field of view), and whatnot fit the hardware.

But now fast forward to today and we have far better hardware enabling the games to do and be a lot more then narrow hallways in a mansion.

Also western devs have their own take on the genere. And instead of slow and restricted we have run and gun open enviroments. They focus on fast and furious. Running out of shots frustrates most, so amo is no longer a problem. Playing w/friends is fun, so we can co-op four people. And instead of a RE game, we now have Left 4 Dead. Hell even the Zombie Mode in CoD:WAW was fun.

And its not just games. But in Movies, we have a lot of movies like Zombieland. Alot like the L4D games they are campy, fast paced, fun rides.

I think there is still a place for RE, I just think that it needs retooling. The controls need to be drasticly redone for starters. And maybe even more. Maybe a focus on said run and gun gameplay styles. In the market today looks at your biggest western sellers. From Halos, Gears, CoD, etc.

Standing steadfast in the face of trends and being unwilling ot change and adapt has hurt a lot of JP games(look at their RPGs). I just think they should go back to the drawing board, come up with a game formula that is more PS3/xb360 and less PSone/Dreamcast.

15. daytripper

I would like to see the next Resident Evil done in a Uncharted style, really good 3rd person action with puzzles and tricky situations instead of full on action like 4 & 5. Obviously the graphical style should be different from Uncharted but I think you know what am getting at.

16. Erthazus

“Maybe a focus on said run and gun gameplay styles. In the market today looks at your biggest western sellers. From Halos, Gears, CoD, etc.”

No. Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2 don’t agree with you at all.

“I would like to see the next Resident Evil done in a Uncharted style”

Are you nuts? There are lot of 3rd Person action games.
    Resident Evil is a horror game, not a platformer with puzzles and action.

17. Gekidami

L4D is a pretty poor example of survival horror (hint: It isnt one at all). If you want a decent example of a recent western survival horror game look to Dead Space and you’ll see that it -like all survival horror games even today- is still slow paced and uses small, closed areas.

And you seem to have forgotten about RE4 where Capcom redesigned the way you play RE.

18. Blerk

Yeah, they could do a lot worse than taking a good look at Dead Space.

19. daytripper

@16 no i’m not nuts, far from it.

20. OlderGamer

I think my point was more that the hang up on “survival” might be the trouble. I know people will disagree, but it is what it is. The old top down shooters like Shock Troopers(Neo Geo) or any number of Gen/SNES games were made the way they were because that was all the hardware in that day and age could do.

Now days those same games would mostly likly end up FPS or 3rd person, but still in “3D”.

I suggest that the reasons behind the design of RE in the first place had more to do with hardware limitations then it did actual game design. The hardware limited things like number of baddies on the screen at one time, open world enviroments, even the games “challange”(if it was too easy it would have been too short, upping the dificulty makes it take longer to beat).

Ask yourself if RE was being invented/designed today with todays systems in mind, would it have taken the same slow paced 3 bullets four zombies, almost enough healing herbs game design? I don’t think it would.

So my arguement would be that the onyl reason we say “survival horror” today was because of those hardware/design limitations back then. Remove the word survival, and we have a lot of things. From the Fear games, to Bioshock to yes L4D.

Maybe an even better example of a well done survival game if you want to insist that there should be such a thing is Alan Wake. I know it is different then RE but still.

As far as Deadspace goes, I know I am not the only one, as it didn’t sell well, but that game crapped out. I think a lot of folks saw it as a shooter, I know I did. But that is far from how it plays. BTW, that is in no way a shot at the game or those that enjoyed it. I simply didn’t like it. I did feel that it was better then the past few RE games.

21. Erthazus

@20 I’m sorry but you are absolutely wrong:

1) Silent Hill
    2) Resident Evil series
    3) Siren
    4) Clock Tower 3

are all designed to be a Horror games.

what about Dead Space game? Is there any hardware limitations for it now? There is no hardware limitations for it.

We don’t need to turn all franchises to the 3rd or first person shooters.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_horror this is a good Wiki page for a Horror games.

22. freedoms_stain

L4D is more like Survival Onslaught. With a touch of frustration. It still pisses me off that you can’t pull yourself up off a fucking ledge in that game…

23. Dr.Freeman

am guessing that RE6 ‘ll be in japan n u’ll be facing some asian ninja zombies, aaaand robot zombies maybe..

24. OlderGamer

No I am not, and no your not ;)

1)JP game
    2)JP game
    3)JP game
    4)JP game

Its classic. Like I said, ignoring current trends. Then they ponder why their games don’t sell like they used to.

As far as not needing 3rd person or fps shooters, your right. Sorta. Like in 8/16bits days we didn’t need platformers, but they set the world on fire. So almost everyone made one. That is what I mean by ignoring trends.

And what is RE, SH, CT, and even AW if not 3rd person “Shooterless” games? Lacking is what. Mystery. Intregue. Puzzles(yuck, I hate puzzles unless it is a Puzzle Game). Story. All fine things(except the puzzles). But where is the gameplay?

All I am really saying is that in todays market there is a lot more competition out there. High quality games. And for the most part the games you just mentioned won’t top the sales charts today because they can’t compete.

My suggestion is that those said games need a rethink. Wanna compare Bioshock sales to RE? Or the AW?

We aren’t one the PSone or even PS2 anymore. Some games have updated very well(look at the new SF games), and some games havn’t held up as well, like RE. I think when most gamers see guns and zombies they wanna play a L4D style game and not a RE one.

25. Gekidami

You really seem to have it in for the Japanese dont you.

All i can say is that i’m glad you bear no weight in the games industry. Otherwise every game would be a muscle head, run’n'gun no matter the genre.

26. The_Deleted

More Dino Crisis please!!!!

27. OlderGamer

I play a lot of JP games.

I have a modded Saturn. A JP PS2. A Neo Geo. And Turbo Duo. All sitting behind me in the game room.

It isn’t about what I want or what I would play anymore then it is about your likes and dislikes. I was speaking more of RE, its recent sales drops, and the “genere” in general. It is outdated and needs a rethink. As far how that relates to JP games, a lot of their games need rethinks. As a whole they tend to cling to traditional ideas and move forward/evolve slowly.

One thing tho, gaming is about a lot more then what comes out of JP. It didn’t used to be that way, but it is now.

28. Gekidami

RE5 sold 4.4 million durring its first month (more then Bioshock and Bioshock 2 in their first months btw). I’d hardly say theres that much of a “sales drop”.

29. DaMan

@Older

while you’re right in that console limitations did play a role, it wasn’t the primary reason (let alone the only reason as you seem to imply) why AitD, RE, Dino crisis and etc were designed that way. PS1 was able to run ie Syphon Filter games. there merely were lots of people that enjoyed Dino Crisis instead. something like Silent Hill was a different ball park though, those games never did half of RE numbers.

by the way, the first ever ‘survival horror’ game was a western one, AitD =P . japanese popularized that concept with their REs.

30. JonFE

@OlderGamer:

Don’t flatter yourself; you cannot win an argument against Erthazus and his mighty wiki links. 8O

:D

31. dfar80

“I was speaking more of RE, its recent sales drops”

RE4 sold close to 4 millions and a half, and RE5 is apparentely the best selling RE to date with 5.3 copies sold worldwide.

Not that sales are accurate measures of a game’s quality, but saleswise, it’s hardly in decline. Unless more money is the new crysis.

32. OlderGamer

Fear the wiki !!

Look the thing to keep in mind about sale figures, esp for JP made games, is that your looking at world wide sales. the big three major markets at work. Re still does well. How many copies do you think say L4D sold in JP?

Alot of sale comparisons are not always fair. One of my problems with JP is that as I get older I see how closed off gamewise they are. I know some of you folks laugh it off, but it is true. They buy their own games and that is pretty much it. So in that regaurd your often comparing a two market game(western made one) to a three market game(JP made one).

Presumably RE sold better in JP then else where. And also presumably it sold better on PS3 because of it.

A UK, USA, or Canadian game is often limited in terms of sales because of that closed off segment of the JP game buying public that stays with what they know, and what is made in JP.

You could defend that and ask what is wrong with it? They like what they like. Their society is different then ours right? So it is. No fault in that. However when I suggest that some of these games would sell better here if they changed and became more like western games, it doesn’t get the same consideration. I even get scoffed at claiming I am racist or something:

“You really seem to have it in for the Japanese dont you.

All i can say is that i’m glad you bear no weight in the games industry. Otherwise every game would be a muscle head, run’n’gun no matter the genre.”

It is ok for them to like what they like, but not for me/us. It is almost as if there is a double standard at work. It seems to me that often gamers view JP as some sort of holy land of video gaming goodness. Years ago i could understand that, but the west has a great games. And be them JP or not, the games that come out of the east are very often rehashes of the same old stuff they have been making for years.

To be fair the west does the samething. In todays big budget and big risk market devs/pubs shy away from IPs that haven’t already proven themselves and won’t want to tinker with said formulas.

Same as in JP.

But you can’t blast Halo, CoD, Gears for being all western gore w/o at the same time aknowledging that JP games have several drawbacks too. I hate the art styles in todays JP games(for example). To me they look femme, and childish. That wasn’t a problem in the 16bit days.

There are a lot of layers to something like this.

And really stop latching on to pure numbers – break them down. And understand that 1M in sales isn’t the milestone it used to be. Also lets talk about numbers, someone else pointed out that numbers don’t always mean quality.

If a game sells big in week one, thos are sales off of preorders and first run buyers. Thats good, sales are sales. But look at this thread almost everyone here agrees that RE5 stinks. Many would say the samething about RE4.

Lets say Starcraft II was awful. All of the people that preordered still bought it. In fact w/a game like SCII it still might sell even if it was dissapointing. I dare say alot like the RE franchise.

However there is another trick at work here. The review system. RE5 scored 85% or higher is most reviews. With the fact that both online and print media make their bread a butter selling advertisments to the same companies that are promoting the very same games subject to preview/review… you get where that line of thinking is at. And those reviews/previews desurved or not help build up week one sales. Happens all of the time hype for a game that is hohum at best drives sales.

Acording to my own WiKi I lookd it up RE4 out sold RE5 by a very narrow margin and both weigh in at the 5M mark. In the end I suspect that RE will continue to sell and thus out sell RE4. I have no way of knowing what portion of those sales are from JP and what % are not.

Last bit here, i do also remember playing Alone in the Dark on the PC, before there was such a thing as a Playstation. I thought it was neat, but I enjoyed play Doom more. Prolly a telling sign, even back then.

33. DaMan

have to agree, most of their sales probably do come from Japan.

oh, and I for one always hated id games, I couldn’t bring myself to play any of them after Wolf3d and Commander Keen. always felt like you’re playing an API demo. telling sign, more so back in the 90s.

34. Gekidami

What can i say OG? I’m sorry that you fail to grasp what the survival horror genre is, and that you dislike what you know of it. But as it happens alot of people do like it, they like was it was over 10 years ago and they like what it is today.
    Honnestly, you coming in here and saying that it needs to be more like Halo and Gears because YOU prefer those types of games is ridiculous. I just think its a shame that you seem to be incaplable of respecting other peoples preferences and want to impose your own.

I’ll definitely think of what you said here as i play Dead Space 2. I’ll be imagining Isaac running around, gun in hand with near infinite ammo, taking cover on walls to dodge enemy gun fire. Imagine him running up to an enemy then scream a stupid one liner as he insta-kills it, then takes cover again and regains health magically for doing nothing but standing still.

Then i’ll stop and shudder.

“RE5 did 4.4 million on both platforms combined. while RE3 did 3.5 on PS1 alone, and RE2 did almost 5. so yeah indeed, the sales did go downhill.”

Timesframes, they’re important. ;)

35. DaMan

which is why I even posted a link to kotaku. these games sell like crazy in the first weeks, but a couple of months later nobody’s buying them.

36. The Hindle

Well said Gek.

37. Gekidami

I was talking about RE2 & 3 actually. We can assume that they’ve done 5 million and 3.5 million from the day they were released till the day this report came out. I dont quite see how RE5 selling 4.4 million in just over a month compared to the 10 odd years of the other 2 equals sales for the franchise going “downhill”.

38. DaMan

are you saying it took years for RE2/Nemesis to do those numbers? look up some of the old sales reports for Capcom, these games do 80 to 90 % of their sales in the very first months.

even if 5 did say, 5 million on PS3and 360 combined by now, it’s still considerably less than the predecessors.

39. The Hindle

Most games do the majority of thier sales during the first few month, its rare any game is still in the charts 6 months after it came out. Cod and Nintendo thats it really.

40. OlderGamer

Gek, you completly and 100% only read/see what you want to see.

I NEVER said I wanted Surv Horror to be like Halo or Gears. I am not even a big Halo fan, I will play it with friends, but it is for the fun of hanging with friends and not so much the game.

I like Gears. But it is far from a survival horror game. What the hell post did you read? Wasn’t mine.

I always, as best I can, treat people and their opinons with respect. Even your dillusional butt ;)

Of course people like the game(RE). Let me grab a quote, I wrote “Quality doesn’t always means sales numbers. But most of the time I like to think that if a game is really bad it won’t sell. So if a game sells well then it must mean that alot of folks enjoy it and thus its quality level, to them, is high.”

Psst, I was talking about RE!! You goof ball.

I always state my two cents as such. It is just an opnion. It honestly can’t be wrong. You can disagree, and you can have your own opinion, but in the end someones opinion is their own and true to them. It can’t be proven right or wrong. Thats what it is.

IMO, I think RE should evolve.

I think most people who played the last couple of games would agree that the quality was lacking in them. And when taken in context of expanded markets, multiple platforms, at the lest the sales of RE have stagnated. They are not terrible. But they aren’t, IMO, what they could be if they changed their formula to a more western style of gaming. PSST, did you catch the IMO I snuck in there? Just wanted to be sure.

Personaly(spoiler – opinion alert) I didn’t like Dead Space. It was boring for me. I have no interest in playing the sequel.

The most fun i have had playing anything remotly close to this genere this gen has been Alan Wake. That is a fantastic game. The second closest(and I base this on fun playing – and really you can’t meassure a persons fun) is the L4D games. They were fast, creepy, co-op goodness. Just plan fun. I also felt that Bioshock was pretty good.

But none of that really matters. Those are just my two cents. A whole nickles worth really.

No point in me writing more. I am not getting through. I do give you points for reading my wall of text. And you are entitled to your own opinion as well. I just wish you grabbed my points/thoughts a bit better.