Sucker Punch reverts Cole back to old self for inFamous 2, new clip shows off comic cut-scenes

Friday, 23rd July 2010 10:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

infamous22

See that look you see above? The one with Cole apparently having hair and a fair amount of tattoos? Forget that look. Old Cole’s back.

Developer Sucker Punch confirmed before its panel for the game that it had decided to revert back to the character’s old look from inFamous 1 after massive negative feedback on the new character design after its Game Informer reveal a while back.

IGN’s seen the new look, but doesn’t have any shots of it. It does, however, have a video of how the comic cut-scenes are presented in the game, also detailing some of the location’s background at the same time.

Get it below.

inFamous 2 releases next year for PS3.

1. Erthazus

1st day buy. I will shit bricks when i will play Infamous 2.

2. evilashchris

I’m really glad they did this, the new boy just looked wrong, especially after events in the first game.

3. AHA-Lambda

I am disappoint son….

I like new cole!! Plus i thought they would stop the comic book thing, wasn’t really a fan of it in the first game either =/

still keeping an eye on this regardless

4. Blerk

Wow, that’s really surprising! Kudos to them for actually listening to the feedback.

5. Johnny Cullen

I was actually geting attached to new Cole. :(

6. kdogg

Maybe there’ll be a choice to play either.. and the comic book cut scenes rocked the mother fucking house!

7. BraveArse

Yup good move imo. I get sick of games changing the way the main protagonist looks with every new game. Used to piss me off royally with Splinter Cell.

8. RETARDED VIKING

glad they kept the the comic styled cut scenes although i agree with some about getting used to the new cole…but i fucking hate the voice ugh fag!!!

9. Moonwalker1982

Awesome, happy as hell. The old character was awesome, serious and much more ‘gritty’ looking than this new one. This new one could be the son of Nathan Drake. But the voice won’t be the same, right?

10. Nozz

Chances are they might put the redesigned Cole in as an alternative skin for use after you complete the game. Still, glad to see good ol’ Cole is back!

11. Demiath

Thank God. I’m usually not one to side with the “LESS COLORFUL, PLEASE” emo mob (see the Diablo 3 art style “controversy” for examples of gamers revelling in their own stupidity), but in this case I thought the extreme makeover was completely unwarranted.

12. adame_bikar

No,the new look was good.

13. Doomsayer

Count me back in :)

14. Spaced Oddity

This makes me sad panda. I disliked the new Cole at first, but it grew on me.

15. Quiiick

I’m really glad that SuckerPunch listens to the fans. Good move!

16. LOLshock94

i wonder how many glitches are in this game

17. revolting

Wow, really? Awesome! I really didn’t expect them to change their stance on this. Great to see fan feedback actually being listened to. Old Cole was one of my favourite new IP protagonists in recent years. I’m chuffed to bits to see him overpower the most jarring, illogical, and totally unecessary retcon in recent memory.

Presumably they’ll have to change the voice too, as the new one’s was ten years too young for old Cole.

Edited to add: Hmm, just watched the trailer. The voice is odd.. somewhere between the gruff old one and the dudetastic new one. Ah well, at least they’ve correceted the most significant mistake.

18. Spaced Oddity

@16 Probably a lot less than Uncharted 2. lol
    inFamous was full of glitches, but its biggest problem was its repetitive side-mission structure, which I hope has been fixed and expanded upon the original.

@17 As I said before, I’m really disappointed they ditched the new look as it fit the mood and atmosphere of the second game. I say this being one who liked the old Cole. As for old Cole being too old for the new voice, he was only in his 20s in the first game.

19. Stephany Nunneley

Meh. I liked the new Cole, he looked like a chav/skinhead in the first one.

20. theevilaires

What does it matter how he looks? You’re looking at his back side the whole game anyway unless you euros love looking at a guys ass for 3-4 hours straight.

STFU and play the game.

21. Erthazus

@Steph, i’m sorry but new Cole looked like a Nathan Drake Rip Off or some cheesy sexy guy. Screw this.

Old one is old one.

@TEA, it’s a story related game? And character is the important part, i understand that console fags are stupid and don’t give a fuck about anything except of shooting guys in the head.
    Let Sucker Punch make mature games please. At least someone is trying at the console world to listen to the community.

22. revolting

@18 there’s no official confirmation of his age anywhere, but personally I would have said the first one was late 20s to early 30s.

As for how much it fits the setting… well, I’d say your perception of this varies from gamer to gamer. Personally, I found the new Cole to be massively jarring and out of place. But I also think we haven’t seen enough to know one way or the other for certain. All I do know for certain is that the new Cole was a massive negative hanging over my decision to buy the second game or not. I genuinely disliked him that much, but it wasn’t just the character itself that put me off, it was the shocking disregard for our previous experiences with the first game. Now that he’s allegedly gone and continuity has emerged triumphant, I’m really looking forward to picking this up.

23. theevilaires

Erthazus take your alienware PC gaming and probe it up your ass. Like I said STFU and play this gem that you would never get on your stupid pc. I didn’t hear this stuff when Kojima decided to make Snake old in MGS4 so why the fuss over Cole?

Is the guy from Alan Wake too cute or should Remedy have made him look more of a bum….You guys cry over the stupidest shit I swear.

24. Telepathic.Geometry

I’m glad that they’re changing him back and that they listen to the fans, but I’m also a little worried, that, they listen to the fans. In this case I think it’s for the best, but to be honest, I’d rather that the devs just decided amongst themselves what’s best for the game and didn’t listen too [i]too[/i] closely to fans.

25. Psychotext

The guy from Alan Wake is cute?

26. revolting

@23 because Snake aging makes sense. People get older. Cole getting 5-10 years younger and having a complete personality transplant does not make any sense at all, and yes, that does matter to some people who enjoyed the original.

27. theevilaires

There are ways of making yourself look fit and younger….its called sleep, diet, and exercise (try it you couch potato). Cole saw what would happen in the future in the last game so he got himself in shape and trained. His life changed for the better. He use to be a delivery boy for crying out loud. How many fit Fed Ex or UPS workers stop by your house?

It would have made sense. Plus isn’t there a new voice for Cole now? So WTH really.

28. Spaced Oddity

I vote SP puts Cole in a pink polkadot dress, fishnets and high-heels, since apparently TEA doesn’t care what he looks like. lol

29. revolting

Except he didn’t lose weight, having already been a fit freerunner/bike messenger in the the first game. He got younger. No ammount of sit ups will make a person younger, just like no ammount of asshattery will make you smarter.

30. theevilaires

I say we put your mother in that stuff and see how many of us will like that :D

31. theevilaires

I think LL Cool J would say different. The guy is in his 40′s and still looks 28. STFU cause you a lard ass and wii fit wasn’t the success you thought it would be for you :D

32. daytripper

cant see the video says its blocked

33. onlineatron

Old cole with new voice will be quite jarring.

But I’m glad he’s back.

34. reask

@32. same here.

35. theevilaires

Try this one. Guy is curling the whole cast lol. Steph I know you’d like to be curled :D

36. Robo_1

Credit to them for listening to the community. Aesthetically I didn’t really have any alliance, but if you’re trying to tell a continuous story, then it’s probably best to stick with the same look.

37. Erthazus

“Erthazus take your alienware PC gaming”

I don’t use that overpriced piece of iron and never will buy it. I use custom PC’s. Ha ha :P

“play this gem that you would never get on your stupid pc”

I absolutely will and will play other multiplatform games that you will never experience (with better precision, connection, graphics, performance, resolution), not to mention about exclusive legendary title like Starcraft II or D3 that you will never experience so just shut the fuck up Tea, and enjoy 95% of your mediocre pRaystation games. I still win, i don’t care about fanboys. Enjoy ;)

“I didn’t hear this stuff when Kojima decided to make Snake old”

so if you have no problems with the character, why bother posting? Some people have problems like i (and some other), someone like you DON’T.

Problem with the Cole is that they made absolutely new character while continuing the story. It’s like bitch is writing about Harry Fucking Potter with glasses, then in the next book he is absolutely a different character.

38. Stephany Nunneley

@35 – That doesn’t count. She weighs like 30 pounds, minus all the hot air spewing from her mouth.

39. No_PUDding

I like an ugly character, and I like continuity too.

So well played Sucker Punch. Thank you, we liked your original vision.

40. AHA-Lambda

I’m sorry but for me this may be a dealbreaker. The old cole was a character that to me was very generic and would be mistaken for a character in a space marine/modern warfare shooter >_> and he was supposed to be an everyday guy!

was the new one a copy of nathan drake? yeah a bit but nathan drake has a heck of a lot more creativity and originality put behind it than any bloody sev/marcus fenix/master chief type character. And know that they’ve backed off this i’m just quite pissed now >:(

41. YoungZer0

I agree with AHA-Lambda. Sure he looked a little bit like Nathan, but why is this a bad thing? People love Nathan. The reason why i never wanted to play infamous was the look of the main character. He screamed “GENERIC” from every pore. His voice was also fucking horrible. And this time it seems to be worse.

I hope they make a mix between the old Cole and the new one, otherwise i’m going to pass.

Yes, i’d do that just because of the character design.

42. MushroomStamp

Totally stoked for this game, loved the first. It’s actually one of the rare games that I have beaten several times. Usually once I beat something I’m done. I am glad they changed the look back from the wimpy boy next door look. Now hopefully they change the wimpy fag voice back.

43. night_tripper

I don’t care personally which look they give cole the first game was great and Infamous 2 looks even better cant wait to get a hold of this game from a great game developer :P

44. Isaaclarke37

I never hated the old one and i didn’t hate the new one i just found it a little bit out of track in a matter of consistency that’s all to have a new redesigned Cole.