Halo: Reach blowout at Comic-Con – £250 hardware bundle confirmed, Forge 2.0 and Firefight Versus announced

Friday, 23rd July 2010 09:30 GMT By Johnny Cullen

reach bundle

Boom. Halo: Reach goes big. Literally

Bungie dropped a couple of bombs during its Comic-Con panel in the early hours of this morning.

£250/$400 hardware bundle confirmed

The first thing of note is the new hardware bundle. Rumoured by Ars and HaloTips, the pack was revealed and unboxed in front of the attending audience.

The bundle will contain a 250Gb Xbox 360 Slim, a copy of Halo: Reach, two wireless controllers and the trimmings: cables and stuff.

It’s available now for preorder for $400, and releases on September 14: the worldwide launch of the game itself. Microsoft’s confirmed it will be exclusive to Game and GameStation in the UK for £249.

You have Covenant in my Firefight

Also shown off in detail at the panel was the return of Firefight, which debuted in Halo 3: ODST last September. The mode, which was announced for a return at E3, does have a few new tricks.

First, it showed a new play type called “Gruntpocalypse”. In a gist: All grunts, all the time. Aim for the face.”

Also revealed was “Versus Firefight”, which lets you play on the Covenant side, as well as be a Spartan against a warm of Covenant soldiers.

All maps from Firefight will be taking from the campaign.

It’s worth pointing out here that multiplayer has also gotten a new vehicle in the shape of a forklift.

LittleBigHalo

Undoubtably, though, the big one is Forge 2.0: it’s massive.

The mode, an editing tool to create and edit your own maps, debuted in Halo 3 in 2007, but needless to say, it’s improved. A lot.

Mind that sighting from what was thought to be the return of Halo 2 map Blood Gulch? It’s properly gone beyond that, now.

Basically, in a word, more: more customization options, more tools, more ways to improve your multiplayer experience, more depth, just more.

There’s a vidoc from Bungie that explains how Forge 2.0 works. It’s below, along with shots of the hardware bundle and a video of an un-boxing of the flavours available for the game.

Bit hard not to be excited for this, eh?

Halo: Reach releases on September 14 for Xbox 360.

1. Hunam

If they release it in the UK I think I might get it. Want a slim but a limited edition one would be much swisher to be honest.

2. Psychotext

For a second I thought that was just going to be the game and some extras, not including a console. :)

3. Hunam

I’d be lying if I didn’t say I thought that for a second too :P

4. reask

Playing 3 on legendary at the moment and really and truly the AI in this game is still amazing after so many years.

I await reach with anticipation.

5. Callum

Excellent! I’ve got one of the 20gb old school 360s and ive been looking to upgrade…this might be it!

6. onlineatron

Dear Christopher

Don’t spend all your student loans on new consoles, instruments and a macbook for university.

Love
    Your fleeting common sense.

7. RETARDED VIKING

yeah hopefully it’ll be better than 3 ugh what a piece of crap that was…..i want 2 back…….

8. Yakuza

Im just gonna leave that here

9. Kuwabara

10. frostquake

Naw…I did the Buy all Limited GaGa…I am past that..My wallet is pooting dust and not shitting bricks of gold anymore!! SO just the game thank you! But hey if your a Banker go for it….because you sucked the teetee dry!

11. Erthazus

Oh dear.

12. revolting

It’s been confirmed by Major Nelson, with pictures and a link to the official press release: http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/07/22/xbox-360-limited-edition-halo-reach-bundle.aspx

13. Mastergames

14. Blerk

It doesn’t look bad in that colour, but does it really need the writing all over it? And the pad’s just horrible, it looks like Spiderman’s been at it! :-D

15. Erthazus

It’s fucking cool limited edition. Just a console with spider-man cum all over it with two controllers and a game. Amazing.

While Halo fanboys will purchase real limited edition with toys and e.t.c.

16. Petulant Radish

17. Zune HD

I luv my xbox 360 so much <3

18. Johnny Cullen

Just added a bit more detail about the hardwarw bundle. It’s £249 in the UK, and it’s available at Game and GameStation only.

19. Gadzooks!

The wait for Reach is torturous! It’s shaping up to be the most feature packed game ever released.

I’m predicting somewhere around 10 million sales once the dust has settled.

Not too keen on the silver box and controllers though. I’ll be trading up my launch premium for a black one to go with my black elite.

20. AHA-Lambda

“I’m predicting somewhere around 10 million sales once the dust has settled.”

21. Erthazus

@AHA-Lambda, even if he is a Microsoft fanboy, 10 million with this hype on the shitty game? Possible.

Look at Halo 3, after so many years it’s already 10 million copies sold even if it is cheaper, but install base is now bigger.

22. Gadzooks!

You dont think reach is capable of outselling halo3?

23. Boris Fett

That is one sexy controller.

24. DrDamn

I’m liking the new design more than I did when I first saw it, but silver plastic rarely looks anything but cheap – black looks better.

25. AHA-Lambda

@22 – nope purely because the only halo related thing i think could ever do so would have to be called halo 4

26. Psychotext

Name’s irrelevant. It’ll all come down to the marketing, and if they go as big as they did with Halo 3, it’ll sell like Halo 3.

(Not to mention that it wont have ODSTs disadvantage of being seen as an expansion pack from day one)

27. Erthazus

@AHA, i will be so surprised if they won’t sell it more than 6 million. I will be really surprised about that.

28. LePlatypus

This game is going to kick ass, I do go through phases where I whore out on Halo games for like a month and I guess I will begin doing that in anticipation for Reach. This game will easily sell more than 10 million

29. The Hindle

Halo 3 did 8.1m at least it was there the last time Microsoft updated it. We will know Halo Reaches total sales by the time October is over as by then Cod will be out and it wont sell when thats out.

30. Psychotext

That’s not really how it works TH.

31. The Hindle

I convoluted my point, basically Halo has always been an ip that blows its load in the first month of release or 6 weeks something like that. Obviously it will still sell when Cod is out but the sales wont be as high.

32. Spaced Oddity

@DrDamn
    I agree, I feel the designers failed to capitalize on making a great LE model here. The new 360 S is damn sexy in black, but I’m sure it’d look great in other colors, especially red with black trim. The silver looks cheap, indeed.

33. Gadzooks!

Thats very old data TH. Years old in fact. Its done another 2 million since then.

See the recent article on how halo 3 outsold most of the ps3 first party catalog combined. I think greenburg quoted 10 million+.

34. The Hindle

He only said it had outsold all of those games which if you add the sales up for the games he mentioned comes to under 8m btw. He meant NA only.

People assume Halo 3 is over 10m, ive heard 11m mentioned but the only evidence is its at 8.1m unless you can provide a link of course. I dont think any Halo game has ever sold over 9m Halo 2 did 8.6 and Halo did 6m

35. Gadzooks!

Greenburg said 10+. Thats more accurate than 2 year old data.

Not sure why you spend so much energy trying to discredit a game in spite of overwhelming evidence. Very strange behavior for someone who claims to be a gamer…

36. The Hindle

Discrediting it, im just going of facts overwhelming evidence you still cant provide a link, so im to assume you saying Halo 3 did over 10m is overwhelming evidence lol dont make me laugh.

37. The Hindle

Here is Greenbergs actual tweet

“Just in from research team (NPD),” Greenberg wrote in the Twitter update, “Halo 3 has outsold Resistance 1 + 2, Uncharted 1+2, Killzone 2 and God of War III COMBINED….wow.

Lets play a game of spot the 10 figure i cant find it can you?

38. Psychotext

I know the source of the 10m number…

39. JonFE

Let me guess, Psycho, VGChartz.com per chance?

EDIT: However, I find it hard to believe that Halo 3 sales have totally halted since January 08, when the official 8.1 million sales number was announced…

40. The Hindle

Really? link? 10m is a milestone it suprises me that if it has indeed done that then Microsoft would have made a big deal.

41. Gadzooks!

Ok, my bad it wasnt Greenburg himself, just almost every games news source on the planet that quoted 10 million+. Here’s one such example: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-halo-3-outsold-six-ps3-titles-combined

Ok, now lets look at this from a sensible point of view. Something you may not be used to.

It sold 8.1 million as of Jan 2008. We agree on that, right?

Since then Halo 3 has been in and out of the top 40 on a very regular basis. How did it get there? Yes, that’s right it got there through sales. Being a constant presence in the top 40 will net you 2 million residual over 2 years easily.

The 11 million figure is actually far more likely than 10.

42. The Hindle

Ahh assumption Gadzooks you love it dont you? Halo 3 hasnt been in the top 40 since roughly early 2009 even then it left soon as it entered. I abide by facts Gadzooks not assumption. You cant pass a fact off as assumption its just stupid.

Edit Plus history tells us Halo has always been a front loaded ip.

Edit 2 Vg charts LOL

43. LOLshock94

peanut butter jelly time

44. The Hindle

Just me though is this, ive always abided by facts mainly but seems thats out of fashion these days.

45. Dralen

Not a fan of the colour, a bit like the Halo 3 one in that sense. The new black 360 looks much cooler.

46. Gadzooks!

So let me get this straight. You are saying that you are taking the last reported figure, 8.1 million to be the total sales to date? If so then you are being a bit thick.

You are not abiding by facts because you are ignoring a large amount of sales. Just because we can find no official figures of their numbers does not mean they dont exist.

I get it okay, you dont like Halo and you want to put the IP down at every possible opportunity. That is of course your job as a fanboy (dont you dare deny that), but you do realise it makes you look stupid, right? Right?

Anyway, back to my original point. With Halo 3 selling somewhere between 8.1 and 11 million and the install base being much larger now I can quite easily see Reach selling 10 million.

47. aki

@45 agreed, though the Halo 3 edition was way uglier.

48. LOLshock94

yeah gadzooks but your comment has proven that you are a fanboy as well

49. The Hindle

Ahh the fanboy statement, please grow up. Im not putting the ip down at all and again as history proves Halo 2 which had the same amount of hype only ever did 8.6m so to say Halo 3 did the roughly the same is far from stupid.

Ignoring a large amount of sales, what 8.1m sales thats fucking huge. Of course its higher then 8.1m but to say it sold a further 3m copies and you have to think Modern warfare was selling bucket loads at that time as well, it simply isnt over or at 10m thats fact.

50. JonFE

@Hindle:

At least you acknowledge that Halo 3 sales are over 8.1 million, it would be stupid not to. :D

51. The Hindle

Of course but 2m or 3m over no way.

52. Gadzooks!

“Ahh the fanboy statement”

You show your fanboy credentials on a daily basis, this fact is not in dispute.

“it simply isnt over or at 10m thats fact.”

WTF… after your self-righteous bullshit about facts you then come out with this?

It’s embarrasing reading your posts man. It’s the verbal equivalent of scrabbling up a muddy verge. Messy and desperate.

53. JonFE

Given that it’s been more than 2 years since the 8.1m was reported, it can be closer than you think to 10m by now, but I agree that MS would be shouting through the roof if such a milestone was surpassed.

54. reask

Always amuses me at the lack of respect for 360 successes.
    This game will live up to the hype I reckon as bungie are pretty good devs imo.

As I said earlier I picked up h3 again and I still can not recall any game I have played before it or up till now on either 360 PS2 or PS3 that has AI like it.
    They fuc**ing throw the kitchen sink at you. :)
    Very aggressive AI imo that is totally unpredictable.

If you like shooters I highly recommend playing this game.
    The weapons are there to beat it on heroic or legendary but you will need to utilize everything at your disposal.
    If reach is better I will be very happy and if it is not I will still be getting it day one.

If you dont like Halo I say fair enough but anyone who likes a fps game which is my fav type of game and are putting down Halo, well I can only wonder.

Bungie ftw. :)

55. Kerplunk

@54 “Always amuses me at the lack of respect for 360 successes.”

I’m sure Microsoft don’t care about this so called lack of respect when they’re checking their bottom line.

It amuses me that anyone should be commenting on the lack of respect on anything. This is the internet after all. I’ve seen people celebrate companies going bust and people losing their livelihoods. Respect for a corporation’s manufactured successes is a pretty unrealistic expectation.

56. DaMan

a great game and a great bundle, very nice.

57. The Hindle

I was never disrespecting them, on the contrary the marketing behind Halo 3 was genius. Im just clearing up a common misconception thats been mistaken as fact over the years.

58. AHA-Lambda

I cant see this doing aswell as halo 3 considerin:

CoD has basically taken the FPS crown from halo for your average punter and its the average punter that makes the halo sales what they are, just like CoD which they have flocked to.

Plus the marketing for halo 3 was immense basically only outdone by MW2 itself. Reach marketing has so far come nowhere close. This game will review great and sell stupidly well but will it beat halo 3? I just cant see it =/

59. Mike

I am so buying this. Fuck me. It’s lovely.

60. Callum

This…or the matte black 360 that I read about somewhere? Hmmm…

61. DaMan

I think if 3 did 10 million MS would’ve announced it.. vgchartz are the only ones reporting that figure, and Pachter makes more sense than that site . about 9 million or something seems very plausible though.

in the end, I think Reach will do similar numbers though, going by those Live activity stats it’s still one of the very top multiplayer fps. it’s silly and naive to believe that ‘marketing’ is the only/main reason people continue playing a multiplayer title.

62. The Hindle

@58 Yep thats a good way of putting it. With the likes of Cod black ops and MOH plus GT 5 all out in the same period Reach will have its work cut out so my prediction is higher then ODST but fair lower then Halo 3.

63. DaMan

if pretty much an add-on performed that well last fall, despite MW2 being released at the same time, makes sense for a whole new multiplayer title to do numbers close to ODST’s predecessor,. don’t see how an exclusive racing from PS3 has anything to do with it. random speculations ftw.

64. The Hindle

Its a big selling racing game that appeals to the mainstream audience, and a lot of people felt burnt by Halo ODST hence why it did no where near Halo 3 numbers.

65. The Hindle

Halo fanboys sheesh.

66. AHA-Lambda

also can i just say i was burned by odst and so i aint gettin reach :P

67. DaMan

nobody expected ODST to do the Halo3 numbers. it was an add-on. it deserved the sales it got. excellent campaign, more so in co-op, and a firefight. worth the price? not for everyone.

and GT5 is being released in November (if it won’t be delayed again..) really, I don’t know where ‘d you get your stats from, but I don’t think Halo players care about it. besides, either way they’re both very mainstream releases, hence both will affect each others’ figures that way.

68. DaMan

let’s make a bet, TH :P .

69. The Hindle

Hmm a bet on what? ODST was a Halo game and all previous Halo games have sold huge , also to correct you on the add on part Microsoft marketed the game as a full on Halo game and even said multiple times it wasnt an expansion pack. So basically that makes ODST the next main Halo game after 3 and it sold what it sold.

70. The Hindle

“But as we went along we got a better understanding of how much content we could create this way,” Creamer says. “Normally a Halo development cycle is three years compared to just a year here. But we weren’t going to make any changes to the engine so we had a more stable platform to work from and we were able to create quite a bit more content than we originally thought we would. That’s how the scope ended up changing from being an expansion to being a full game.”

This statement is from a Bungie dev.

71. DaMan

Reach sales I mean. if you lose I get your 360 account, including credit card info.. jokes, Hindle.

it did sell ‘huge’ for what it was. Halo Wars was also a ‘halo game’.

I’m commenting on it’s value. it was pretty much an expansion, you think people will pay their money without knowing what’s inside? I know what they said. they can market Reach as two games, doesn’t make it true though. it deserved what it got. more evidence that marketing alone won’t sell your games btw =P .

72. LOLshock94

why dont we just wait for the game and fucking play it when it comes out

73. OlderGamer

I think a couple of you are nitpicking to say the least.

H3 sold very well. What ODST did, or what Reach does have no impact of H3s numbers.

If the next three CoD games only do 5M each are they somehow failures? If they don’t repeat the peaks of MW2, won’t mean that 5M isn’t still damn good.

Lets get this straight, ODST sold well. Reach will likly sell VERY well. No way to know for sure yet of course. Maybe Reach does 8M, maybe 10M. Maybe only that said 5M.

In the end Halo sales own PS3 exclusive sales. I saw that mentioned and have no idea why that is important to anyone. But, to me, that says a hell alot of people like and buy Halo games.

Reach is a Halo game. Its going to be huge, IMO(again time will tell).

But gripping over less that 2M sales on a game as big as H3 is silly. It really is. Do you not think the game could have done 10M by now? I mean really, isn’t it possible?

Of course it is. It is also possible that it hasn’t done that yet. But who cares. A win is a win. Isn’t it?

If you win the race by 5 car lengths or 5000 car lengths, your have still won.

Halo games win. That simple.

Personaly I think Reach is looking good. The beta was fun(and that is the point of playing last I knew). I was a bigger Halo fan with Halo and Halo2, but the other ones where well done games. I expect Reach to be well done too.

74. The Hindle

” In the end Halo owns Ps3 exclusive sales” dont you mean Halo 3? because the others Halo games so far have sold as much as any Ps3 game. The whole point of this debate was 360 fanboys were passing assumption off as fact.

75. MushroomStamp

Pew! Pew!

76. OlderGamer

Nope I was generalizing. I was refering to Halo as a series. And those weren’t even my words, they were someone elses.

I couldn’t careless about how many millions a game does. If I enjoy it it is good enough for me.

Love it or hate it Halo has been an ace for MS and its Xbox systems.

77. reask

You know TH I know for a fact you’re not a fanboy as I know you play your 360 quite a lot.
    If I was to hazard a guess though I reckon I would be correct in assuming that your preference is PS3 first.

No harm in that my friend as it is a wonderful console imo.
    But having said that I would like to add the caveat of gaming franchises in to the equasion.

IMO the halo one stands out on its own for just more than sales and having played 3 as my first one ever I cannot compare it to the other 2.

What I will say is though imo halo is under no threat from the likes of MW2 or other pretenders as it is just so unique on line or sp.

I have just played a couple of matches on line and the experience is just so different to MW2 that it makes me believe that the true halo base are itching for this one and will pick it up day one to have the edge on there opponents.

When an ould fella like me picks up on something like this it has to make me wonder when Sony are going to get that killer app to associate there console to the same experience.

I can actually understand the passion Halo heads feel towards this game as there is so much weaponry to be utilised online or sp.

The feel of the game is unique imo and all credit to bungie for creating that.
    On the sony side I would put ND up there with Bungie but without the online support from Sony it is hard for them to create the same success imo.

I reckon reach is going to kick ass and set new standards and await the release of it with no fears of it disappointing me.

78. Moonwalker1982

If i was going for a new 360, i’d go for the Halo: Reach one, until i saw its price. Ridiculous! Why 400 euro? When the new console is 250? So you get the new console and the game, you’d think it would be like 250 + 60 or so, but nope. You don’t even get the legendary edition with the bundle? Come on now.