UK sales of Xbox 360 up 1,000% thanks to new SKU

Tuesday, 20th July 2010 20:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

xbox360logo

Microsoft Europe boss Chris Lewis has said UK sales of Xbox 360 are up a whopping 1,000 percent over last week, thanks to the console’s new SKU.

Speaking with GI.biz, Lewis attributes the surge to price cuts on older Elite and Arcade models, along with the slimmer console revealed at E3, providing Microsoft with an 84 percent share of the market.

“It’s only a couple of days of sales, but it does further enforce the appetite that people have for the Xbox 360, and excitement for the 250GB slimmer, quieter version,” said Lewis.

The slimline Xbox 360 runs £199 in the UK, while the Elite sells for £149 and the Arcade £119. Lewis did not provide a break down in percentage of the different SKUs.

It was announced by Chart-Track yesterday that sales for the redesigned console were higher than Sony’s release of PS3 Slim, as well as the slimmer PS2.

Lewis’ “1,000 percent” comment is similar to the comment Chart-Track boss Dorian Bloch made to VG247, when he told us PS3 Slim sales were over 1,000 percent in the UK at launch last year.

Microsoft today announced a 4Gb Xbox 360 slimline for £149.99, which can also be purchased in a bundle with Kinect plus one game for £249.99 come November, when Kinect will also be made available with Kinect Adventures  for £129.99.

1. Razor

Not saying the breakdown of new and discounted are they…

2. Withnail

1000% sounds nice but it’s unfortunately completely meaningless without knowing the sales from the week before.

3. onyxbox

Every 360 gamer that loves the platform will buy one of these simply because it offers the promise of being reelable and quiet which were the only bugbears 360 owners had to put up with.

It is bound to sell to a very high percentage of the existing user base IMO. The rest of the sales are due to the heavy discounting of the older models.

And yes… % means nothing really

4. Sleazy Bastard

@2 1000% is 1000%. It’s not hard to imagine that it will correspond to high figures and will probably boost the 360 into a nice momentum, alongside with the U.S market response to the new model.

@3 I love the 360 but I won’t buy this one unless something happens to the one I currently have. I own the red edition with the 120GB drive and I install my games on the HD. That way there are no drive problems or noise.

5. NiceFellow

@4 1000% doesn’t mean a lot without knowing over what. According to official figures in Japan the 360 went from around 3000 to 17000, which is a huge percentage increase (approx 500%) but peanuts when you’re trying to sell millions of consoles.

The unit sales may have been amazing, but you need to know the start point in units for the 1000% to be sure.

6. reask

@ 3
    I have been listening to this codswallop since 360 came out.
    Oh it will only sell to the hardcore xbots then drop off once it hits 24 million blah blah blah.

What evidence is there that it is mostly 360 owners upgrading?
    It would serve you 360 doomsayers better to start questioning your own beloved PS3 shortcomings.
    I mean how long is it now that the PS3 is out and still PSN is not fit to lick the boots of live?

FFS guys get over it already.
    360 is and will continue to be the best all round gaming console this gen imo.
    Maybe if PS3 walked the walk and not talked the talk as there glorious fanbase keep doing then we would have a debate on the matter.
    And before you start giving me down the glen Yes I have been using PSN mostly for the last few months and trust me next multi plat to come out I will be going Live.
    The payment is worth it as I Just find the overall experience so much more smooth on it.

As for games.
    If I hear UC2 mentioned one more time I will puke all over Drathan.
    PS3 is A good console and in all fairness has features included that MS are only now offering in some respects.
    But do you think the teenager on MW2 gives a fiddlers about any of that shit?
    No they dont because mam and dad are footing the bill.

Please start showing some respect for the competition that came from nowhere to be the current leader on the HD front.
    No disrespect to Wii but if it sold a Billion tomorrow I could care less tbh.

7. Razor

“I mean how long is it now that the PS3 is out and still PSN is not fit to lick the boots of Live?”

Live launched in 2002 and has evolved over two different platforms; PSN launched in 2006, with no previous network experience for Sony to draw from.

Live has only really come into its own over the last three years, and it will take the same period of time for PSN to reach the same stage.

8. The Hindle

“360 is and will continue to be the best all round gaming console this gen imo”

Based on what your opinion?

9. theevilaires

Uncharted 2 Talked the talked and walked the walked and no 360 game to date can come close matching it technically and graphically….have fun puking on Nathan Drake before he kicks your ass if he was real :D

Pound for pound PS3 is better gaming/media console on the market. Not being fanboyish its just the facts. When 360 offers lag free, free online play – be able to read more than 3 video and audio formats – and can match KZ3,GT5,UC2,and GOW3 quality gaming then come back and try to walk the walk….

10. reask

@TH
    I did add IMO in all fairness.
    @ Razor
    I was responding to the tired old opinion of the cell is the best regardless in all fairness.
    I mean why does every fanboy seem to think that 360 owners are unhappy with there purchase and regret not having a PS3?
    Fantasy land.

11. theevilaires

because they’re always in SONY articles trolling ;)

12. Psychotext

1000% stat really is meaningless, but we do know that the S model sold around the same as the launch week of the original 360, and more than the PS2 slim and the PS3 slim… further to that, we know that the 360 sold 70k in its launch week in the UK.

So… the week before the S model the 360 sold somewhere around 6360, but who knows exactly. How pointless is that? Especially as I can’t imagine anyone buying a new 360 when the upgraded model is due the week after. :D

13. The Hindle

Tea dude thats far from fact, thats opinion imo.

This is why people dont write on forums no more :D

14. reask

Sorry Tea and you know I have great respect for you but As much as I love my PS3 it still amazes me how people seem to think 360 owners are somehow unhappy.

I have 2 wonderful gaming machines under my Sony Bravia and love playing games on both.
    You on the other hand seem to avoid certain games ie halo 3 because of some sort of bias.

And you know TEA you really are depriving yourself of a great gaming experience because of that IMO.

I have played some great games on PS3 and will continue to do so hopefully but I refuse to be told that my last 3 and a half years on 360 has been a delusion on my part.

Oh btw I kicked Drakes ass.
    My first Platinum. :)

15. theevilaires

Hindle answer these:

Does the PS3 read more media formats than the 360

Does any 360 title surpass UC2 even after being on the market 1+ full year

Not being a fanboy the answers to those questions are the truth pound for pound the PS3 wins. Sure the 360 can do things the PS3 can’t but that has to do with patents rather than tech. CELL and RSX can do anything + more the 360 can do just in their own unique way.

Now tell me I’m lying… I’m just stating the truth I don’t give a shit but I won’t let people run around here telling lies spreading false facts when its only their opinion.

16. The Hindle

Sure the 360 can do things the PS3 can’t

All 3 of the consoles have strengths and weaknesses Tea, The 360 does things the Ps3 cant and vice versa. We may finally be getting somewhere :D

17. theevilaires

Reask i never said that and my actions certainly don’t prove that cause I own a 360 too. I’m just busy trophy whoring most of the time. You can love both but certain events has forced all of us to favor one over the other in a way. Whether its achievements, in-game custom music in every game, xbox live, trophies , free online play whatever.

Those key things have forced every one on this site to favor one system over the other. NO ONE HERE PLAYS BOTH EQUALLY….and that is not a bad thing.

18. theevilaires

Hindle you still did not answer my pound for pound questions.

19. reask

FFS TEA you’re in rabid fanboy mode now.
    Who gives a fiddlers about half the shit you’re on about?

You know buy game put it in console wait for opening credits and enjoy.
    Now that’s gaming my friend.
    Again you mention one of my fave games UC2 but I have lots of others that I really enjoy as well.
    Do you not?

20. ninjanutta

ive got to agree,i own both consoles and love them both,the only reason my 360 gets more playtime is because i get the games for almost free but to be honest the ps3 is far superior in almost every way,the exclusives are way ahead of anything on the 360.still i do enjoy both so i dont really care.

21. theevilaires

No one can never just admit I’m right. they always have to spin it :D ok Reask you’re right. I’m going back to split second without in-game custom soundtracks I’m sure the 360 has :D

22. theevilaires

Thank you ninjanutta for living on earth :D

23. reask

I understand your comment on the trophies thing but I still feel your resentment of M$ somehow clouds your judgement sometimes.
    I know you love gaming and wish you would get into the 360 as I honestly reckon you would lovwe it as much as PS.

You know more than me that graphics are but a nice touch sometimes and gameplay is the real deal.

24. The Hindle

I play both equally and buy 50% of multis on me Ps3 and 360. I tend to prefer fps on the 360 whilst hack and slash or action adventures on me Ps3. You may be right on the pound for pound thing Tea i dont know im not a tech head but you only have to look at how much money Sony lost to wonder does it matter?

25. theevilaires

I don’t have any resentment over M$ Reask. As I’ve said before I love gaming and no matter what I’ll always own every console that comes out at some point. You think I haven’t said bad things about SONY then you’re kidding yourself.

I fucking HATE Kaz Harai. He’s a fucking weasel. I just can’t play both consoles at the same time. I wish I could but I can’t. These trophies have me by the balls :D and I’m in a competition with a euro so that means no console swapping until I bury this little UK fucker.

But I’m itching to play ME1 and 2 . Just about to give up hope on those ports :D

26. OlderGamer

reask +1000%

I have been wanting to go off like that for a long time.

I play more PC now then I did at the start of this gen, but I agree with everything EVERYTHING you just said.

27. theevilaires

Don’t forget to lube up good O.G. ;)

28. Gadzooks!

TEA, You have not once posted anything that isnt straight up baiting bullshit. You are not a gamer, you are a troll. All you care about is some imagined war, not the games.

The rest of us can just enjoy our games but you seem to have a problem with that. Why i cannot fathom. It’s pathetic, it truly is.

You are the pondscum that makes forums the tedious fanboy infested mess they are and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Go away and leave us gamers the chance to talk about games, because you crash any thread you post in with your stupid and deliberate trolling.

29. OlderGamer

I’m just gonna point to reasks OP.

See here is the thing, Tea. reask, Hindle, and myself all enjoy our PS3s. I don’t complain about lack of cross game chat. I don’t bitch because I had to drop 50usd for a blue tooth headset(when MS includes a headset in every system box). I don’t complain about loss of BC with the PS3.

I don’t spend time trolling to praise the xb360 to godly hieghts.

I don’t put you down or call people names because they enjoy a game (regaurdless of what system it is on).

Yet you do. And your not alone. It just gets old after awhile.

I could pick apart your logic. I could really get into it with you. I am sure on some level both of us would enjoy the go of it. But, it does get old. the same old go around. Same old “points” and “counter points”. Over what? a video game system. A toy. And besides those points and counterpoints are just selfrightous opinions. No matter how hard you try or how much hot air you use, the xb360 had a large spike in sales. It happend despite how you “feel” about the system.

And to be clear I enjoy all three of my games systems this gen(even the Wii).

One of the things I agree with reask about the most is that if you just chilled out and played the damn games, you would enjoy them. As you know Gears is a great game. And its not the only one. you mentioned the ME games. Your right, lots of gamers enjoyed them – why deprive yourself man? Because it made more sense for the western devd game to hit on a westernminded system? That would be like me getting pissed(and missing out) on GT5 because it is an eastern devd game on a eastern system.

I implore you, just play the damn games. Then come back and tell us what you did and didn’t enjoy. Forget what system they are on. Who the hell cares what the logo is?

And stop putting people down because they like their xboxes.

30. theevilaires

O.G calm down you’re trying way too hard to gain a point in that wall of babble.

Gadzooks!…..seek help!

31. Boris Fett

Apples and oranges, peaches and pears.

At the end of the day, a fruit is still a fruit.

32. theevilaires

I finally agree with O’Connor….. holy shit! :D

33. LOLshock94

is it normal to like a xbox more then a ps3 but slag the xbox all the time???

34. LOLshock94

Gadzooks! do u ever stop saying troll because all u ever do is troll

35. Boris Fett

@32 Actually, no, you don’t. You completely missed my point.

It doesn’t matter if it a PS3, a 360, a Wii, a DS or a PSP (the fruit) housing the game. All that matters is whether the game (the taste) is good or not.

There are no bad consoles. Only bad games. Every console has its merits and failings in equal measure. Stop fussing over the machine and just enjoy the games.

36. theevilaires

I know what you meant O’Connor but you also can’t count out the features of these machines which they all have unique ones but you must see which one has the better value.

Graphics and gameplay PS3 takes it by a land slide because it offers more support from every genre. Hell SONY’s 1st party stuff alone stretches over all game genres from Music (singstar) to RPG (WKC)

Then the features of the system are to me better than the others.

but whatever who really cares you’re right about just enjoying the games. Everybody just shut up. This got blown way out of hand for no good reason. Thanks NiceFellow and Reask :D

37. Crysis

i’d rather pay $150 for an arcade & buy an 16gb stick thnan get the new console for $450(Aussie p;rice, not american), now for my honest opinions on this 360 vs ps3 war:
    Nintendo is winning, so this is pointless(imo their consoles are shit this gen tho)
    360 hass a batter online service, whether it’s worth the money is entirely up to the user.
    360 does not NOT have a better interface, the XMB is much easier to navigate (just my opinion) .
    XBL has better content, no doubt, PSN is still great, Steam is best :P .
    PS3 has better exclusives, 360 has some jewels too.
    360 normally plays multiplat games a little better, but in general, it’s too hard to tell.
    PS3 is the better Media player, no questioning it what so ever, to play most files the 360 requires an update, per each profile you want to watch content with& no playlist function while the PS3 auto-plays next file in line & transfer is easy, albeit the 360 can stream stuff from the pc, but i’ve tried it & it takes forever to buffer & often crashes.
    All in All, both have their advantages & dissadvantages & imo you should either buy consoles & enjoy the best of both worlds, or shutup with the trolling & accept the fact you’re just trying to make excuses so you do not feel let down about your purchase

38. Holesome

@theevilaires, man it’s so hard to care about what you write in your postings with you banging your drum so hard. You opinion is so thick it can’t be swallowed. What you claim as facts wrapped around an IMO disclaimer are absolutely not fact and most if not all points you make have an equal counter. Opinions are opinions but when you try to cram them down everyone’s throats enough is enough.

I absolutely agree with Gadzooks and OldGamer’s approach.

Way to go MS. The significant increase in sales world wide as a result of the 360s and other price cuts will help keep the beast going and better secure the possibility of a new MS console in years to come. This new 360s is a welcome edition to the 360 family.

39. Gadzooks!

“the 360 can stream stuff from the pc, but i’ve tried it & it takes forever to buffer & often crashes.”

I watch all my media on the 360 streamed from a PC and have never had any buffering or any crashes.

I’d take a look at your server setup or maybe network settings. Do you stream over wireless? Many people find wireless struggles to stream HD content.

40. Crysis

nope, got ethernet directly plaugged to the router from my pc & one ethernet plugged directly into the 360, no wireless what so ever, idk why it’s fking up, but my external hdd is much larger than either of my desktops hdd so i just stream from there, tho i have a 320gb hdd on my ps3 with over 300 videos on it & i have never had a problem (they are only AVI files or something so they use fk all memory but are muc more compressed but i’m using a std television & wouldn’t notice the difference & still looks great on my HD monitor)