Rumour – Capcom vs Namco and Namco vs Capcom in development, debuting this weekend

Tuesday, 20th July 2010 09:39 GMT By Johnny Cullen

capcomnamco

Game Informer‘s put live a whopping rumour: Capcom and Namco are pooling together for two new fighting games.

According to the publication, Capcom vs Namco and Namco vs Capcom will be announced at Comic-Con this weekend.

The former is being developed with the Street Fighter IV engine, while the latter is being made using a Tekken 6 base.

GI reckons this will be SFIV producer Yoshinori Ono’s big Comic-Con reveal, with him producing on the Capcom side, while Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada will handle the Namco side.

The two were also seen on stage together at the EVO 2010 a while back in Vegas, so that might add some weight.

We’ll know soon enough.

1. StolenGlory

If this is real, my face will likely explode.

2. Erthazus

This is really cool stuff if it’s true.

3. Patrick Garratt

I’d be surprised if they’d got this wrong, tbh.

4. Johnny Cullen

If this gets announced, it’s automatically the best game in existence.

5. Calvin

Nice one, this has so much potential.

6. Blerk

I swear the news today is being specifically designed to force me into a meh-induced coma! :-D

7. StolenGlory

@4 I must correct you Johnny.

Best game(s) in existence :)

8. KrazyKraut

When two galaxies collide…

9. elronathon

Bring the Rival Schools characters please!

Very exciting stuff.

10. StolenGlory

I’m just looking forward to the Katamari support character :)

11. amirmir

VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Really? Am I dreaming?? I know it’s still a rumor but……

12. Johnny Cullen

@7 Ah, good thinking.

13. mington

i’m definitely interested in the SF4 engine game, i’m gonna have to brush up on my Namco though

List of Namco games

14. mington

Pac-Man vs Ryu

15. mington

Namco make Soulcalibur \o/

I just hope they keep the Tekken characters to a minimum

16. 2plus2equals5

STOP capcom! PLEASE STOP with ryu, ken etc!
    Marvel vs capcom 3, tatsunoco vs capcom, street fighter 4, super street fighter 4 etc…
    STOP! Too many fighting games! Why don’ you make a new re, dmc, onimusha, chaos legion(XD)or something REALLY NEW?

17. mington

FYI Your gameinformer link is broken

18. Johnny Cullen

Fixed.

19. StolenGlory

@16 Uhh, because there are those of us who like fighting games?

20. DiodeX

Umm, Tecmo should ask for a piece of this, or at least its characters ;), come on, we all like bouncing boobies, don’t we?

21. AHA-Lambda

ZOMGAWESOME :O

22. SplatteredHouse

This is very interesting, it could be a great cross over. I hope it is true! :D

23. 2plus2equals5

@19: I’m a fan too(of kof XD) but ryu:capcom=mario:nintendo, huge success but STOP! Make something new! I don’ t know you but i’ ve NEVER bought two games with the same character, because after the end of a game i want something completely new!
    The only fighting crossovers i want are the ones with kof characters(vs guilty gear?), marvel vs dc and mortal kombat vs def jam(so i can kill some rapper XD)

24. Nozz

This is one of the best gaming RUMOURS ive heard in a long time!! AWESOME!

25. mington

Namco × Capcom (ナムコ クロス カプコン, Namuko Kurosu Kapukon?)[1] is an action RPG/tactical RPG hybrid game for the PlayStation 2 console, developed by Monolith Soft and featuring characters from games produced by companies Namco and Capcom. blah blah blah

check out the character list for ideas on who may feature in this title

26. mington

character list of Namco × Capcom with pictures

this game could be seriously badass!

27. LOLshock94

so would namco vs capcom be a 3rd person fighting and capcom vs namco will be 2d fighting i think il stick to capcom vs namco

28. Anders

This’ll be sooooooo awesome. Will be intersting to compare the sales figures after the games have been released, though. I’ll take the SFIV engine over the Tekken 6 engine any day.

29. theevilaires

It would be cool if it happened for real. We need more fighters seriously. Anders I would call you crazy if you said Tekken 5…hell screw it anyway you’re crazy. SFIV engine was shit.

30. mington

SFIV engine was THE shit.

31. theevilaires

You guys are on crack. I could take Zangeif and totally cheat my way to the top with his Russian lariant move (not sure its spelled that way :D ) The engine was poor. Tekken 5 would kick its ass any day (IMO).

32. Mattigan

Um, yeah, try that lariat shit online…

33. spiderLAW

SSF4 is the best fighting game to come out since SFIII:3rdS (have to wait and see if the new Mortal Kombat can do better).

This sounds awesome so i cant wait for the Capcom vs Namco version with the Street Fighter engine.

Im still waiting for my Dragonball Z (or Shonen Jump) vs Street Fighter (or Capcom)

@16 Im still waiting to hear anything on Onimusha 5 myself. Of course, they have t bring back Hidemitsu Samanosuke Akechi. A game where he and Jubei Yagyu team up would be epic.

34. Madeira

@theevilaires: You talk way too much shit on this site to be making colossally stupid statements like that. But I’m not surprised.

35. spiderLAW

Yeah dude, that lariat would eat shit against an array of counter attacks from any character in SSF4. The only character that attack could get frustrating against is Makoto, given that you can execute Zangief’s attack quick enough after ex cancel or block.

36. theevilaires

talk shit like what? that I’m the best gamer in the world? I just think the engine for SF4 is crap. I’m so close to my platinum trophy by just using Zangief. The game is cheap so I’m gonna get my platinum and let it collect dust until the world ends. ITS SHIT!

37. Boris Fett

A thought. Wouldn’t the Street Fighter characters have a slightly unfair advantage in these? You know, fireballs and all…

38. Boris Fett

@36 Zangief is overpowered in Street Fighter IV. In Super Street Fighter IV, not so much. There’s nothing inherently wrong with the engine itself.

39. theevilaires

If I didn’t like SF4 what on earth would get me to try SSF4…do you people think. Capcom put out a shit game then re-released it after these asshole got your money and went on vacations from the first failure.

Surprise they didn’t ask for full price. (Which showed their guilt that they knew they shipped a crappy ass game)

Tekken’s engine on the other hand is simply better especially 5, but thats still 2D vs 3D stuff really. Anyway Tekken is better than SF live and die with that fact.

40. Madeira

@theevilaires: That’s why at Evo 2010 was completely hype this year because of SSF4, and Tekken was just a minor distraction. If you knew shit about fighting games, you wouldn’t be spouting such lame-ass garbage like Zangief is overpowered and you exploited that to get some pathetic trophy.

41. spiderLAW

Sorry bro, i dont agree with you. While i thought Tekken 5 was Great, it just doesnt have the feel that I particularly like. Doesnt mean it was shit because i didnt like it.

Same goes for Street Fighter 4. It was great also but there were major problems with it. Super Street Fighter 4 adressed all those problems (except now Ryu is all powerful, but not unbeatable) and then added tons more content. The online community alone is enough to want to buy Super Street Fighter 4. Do what i did. I sold my copy of Street Fighter 4 for $20 on craigslist and then went to Gamestop and bought a used copy of Super Street Fighter 4 for $25. It is now one of my favorite games this gen.