Fight Night: Champion announced for 2011

Tuesday, 20th July 2010 09:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

fight night 5

So much for waiting until tonight. EA Sports has announced Fight Night: Champion for a 2011 release on PS3 and 360.

The game’s biggest talking point, according to developer EA Vancouver, is a new single-player mode, which will “break the mold of what is expected in a single-player sports game. Players will be introduced to an entirely new way to step between the ropes and experience the drama, emotion, excitement and tragedy of world championship boxing.”

EA Sports’ Brian Hayes told IGN that there would be somewhere between 60-65 fighters in the game.

A new gameplay feature known as “Full Spectrum Punch Control” has also been added, which is said to let players move around the ring to deliver “some of the most devastating punches ever seen in a Fight Night game.”

There’s first shots of how the mechanic works at the link above.

The game will also be “the most user-friendly title in the franchise’s history,” with new online modes included for good measure.

Expect more on this later today.

1. Blerk

Oh. Hopefully that’s not everything.

/disappointed

2. Sunshyme

There’s the first bummer. :P

Come on EA, you’ve got to come with something bigger than this.

3. Patrick Garratt

The second Need for Speed’s a cert.

4. Blerk

Stop it, you’re making me yawn! :-D

5. Patrick Garratt

I think that’s the only one left in EA’s FY2010 line-up that hasn’t been announced. FIFA will get a big showing as they didn’t show it at E3.

6. Blerk

Boo! Too much sport, too much same-old, far too ‘safe’. What happened to the new EA? I liked those guys!

Edit: Although they did publish DeathSpank. So I might let them off.

7. Patrick Garratt

New Mirror’s Edge would be nice. New Battlefield too, if they’re feeling flush.

8. Tonka

Is it Move/Kinect compatible?

9. ExclusivesMostly

@8: I think MOVE would work great with this. Maybe they’ll give confirmation later.

10. cookiejar

How about a proper new Sim City…… :(

11. theevilaires

Stop with the fight nights this gen. Wait until next gen to show off better graphics and psychics please.

12. spiderLAW

I just hope this is better than Round 4. Everything about Round 4 was a step down from Round 3 except for the force feedback from the punches. The puches felt more realistic but the rest of the game was just weak. I mean shit, i landed 594(78%) punches with most of them being Haymakers, uppercuts, hooks, and counters with high stamina and the guy was still standng in the end on pro mode (normal) GTFO.

13. MushroomStamp

@12, I agree.. I preferred 3.

14. spiderLAW

Yeah, makes me wish i kept my copy for the 360. Now i have to go and buy it again, but for PS3 this time. My cusin-in-law (best friend since 11yrs old) only has a PS3 and i want to be able to beat his ass on it since normally, in real life, it would be the other way around (kind of. I am better at wrestling and Taekwondo, hes better at MMA)