Codemasters: No demo for F1 2010

Sunday, 18th July 2010 10:29 GMT By Joe Anderson

f12010

Codemasters community manager Ian Webster has confirmed there will be no demo for F1 2010.

Webster said that due to the game’s complexities, the studio would not have time to ship a demo before its release in September.

“Due to the nature of the game, and its layers of licensed content, it will not be possible to make a cut-down, limited content sample that would serve as a demo for F1 in 2010 within our production deadlines,” said Webster on the game’s official forums.

The last F1 game was released by Sony in March 2007 in the West, and was exclusive to PS3.

This time around the game will appear on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. PSP and Wii versions were released in November last year.

Check out a new gameplay video below.

Thanks, Videogamezone.

1. OlderGamer

This just in:

Oldergamer confirms, he will not be buying this game due to lack of a demo.

Dumbass Codies, most game could benifit from a demo. But how a car controls in a racing game is paramount to quality/fun factor/enjoymen and ultimatly value of said game. I won’t buy this game because I won’t know going in if the game is too “sim” and if those caontrols are scalible to the point where I can enjoy them. If I have to fight the car/track and physics, I can’t enjoy the actual racing aspects of the game against other cars/AI or even other online players.

Sorry but with F1 Champ ed still being so good on PS3, no way I would touch this game without a Demo.

2. Grimrita

The game cant be that realistic, we saw some over taking in this video.

3. Yoshi

Bad move they need a demo, hopfully after they will realise this and release one :D

4. Happy Hardon Harry

Day 1 for me, PC version (60+FPS, etc) of course. Sadly the console version runs at 30fps.

Codemasters don’t need to justify the game by releasing a demo as they make great racing games (Dirt 2, Grid, etc), plus the F1 licence will shift the game based on the popularity of the franchise alone.

It’s F1, you don’t need a fucking demo…

5. loki

@4 facepalm
    racing on PC – stupid
    Who need demo off this another mediocre racing game.

6. Happy Hardon Harry

loki said:
    July 18, 2010 at 6:54 pm
    @4 facepalm
    racing on PC – stupid
    Who need demo off this another mediocre racing game.

7. OlderGamer

To be honest Grid and Dirt are exactly why I wouldn’t buy this without a demo.

Once I got far enough into those games I reached a point where I couldn’t keep my cars on the track.

I saw a physics professer once blog about racing in video games. He used Grid(I kid you not)(I laughed it off till I got to “end game” in Grid), he said that with many racers they aren’t even close to realistic. Grid had you driving at a simulated 650mph+. I was at my inlaws when I read it – I will ask him if he still has it where I can get a link.

In truth if the games tried to recreate realistic speeds the games might feel slugish and boring. Just don’t be one of those tools that fools themselves into thinking there is anything realistic in a racer or that your playing a true to life simulation.

And yes there is a difference between wanting a drivable “sim” and enjoying Mario Kart/Burnout.

I raced behind the wheel for 12 years, I can tell you without the shadow of a doubt that I never once used a piece of plastic ladden with 16 buttons and two analog thumb sticks to get around the track. ;)

My opinion is that these are video games.

Calling a racer a sim is like calling a fps a murder sim.

They are just works of entertainment.

And of entertainment, I like to recreate the actual racing between cars/drivers, far more then I want to fight the latest physics engine.

Its like Football(american, Ausie, Eruo). The game assumes your player can run, jump, and has all needed skills to play the sport. The gamer can just then control the player as if they where that player possesing said skills.

Racing games should cater to that. Let me play the role of a pro driver that has built up years of experience and knows how to get around the track.

Why don’t they?

AI, Online gameplay, and Graphics.

Easier to program a hard to drive car then a AI that can actualy make smart race moves and act and react like real drivers.

If the cars where easy to control, in an online race too many of the gamers would be trying to ocupy the exact same space on the track at once. That works great for Flatout, Burnout, and Mario Kart – but not so well for Forza, GT, and a F1 game. Hard to handle cars thins and spreads out the field.

Graphics? Come on Older, how do graphics impact the current trend of tough to drive?

Simple. There are two focuses in a racer. Driving(car handling) and On track wheel to wheel racing.

By focusing on hard to handle driving, most games can limit the field size and once again thin the field out. This allows the GPU to rendar less cars on the track in any one given field of view. the result is that they can improve the graphical looks of said cars, as well as tracks, and scenery.

Of course maybe I am off my rocker. Maybe I just suck at racing. Maybe I am just senile.

Or maybe you have bought into the crap that has been peddeled for so long you never thought to look at it from a different point of view.

I don’t know about you folks, but I used to love racing games. Now, ‘meh. Once in awhile one comes along that I enjoy. I love Dirt Track Racing 2(Ratbag) on the PC. I enjoy F1 Champ ed(PS3). I like the Flatout games. I also enjoy Test Drive LeMans(PC). I just don’t find most other racers fun to play.

8. BraveArse

@6 Got be the best retort I’ve ever seen on this site. Kudos to you sir, you have my gratitude. :)

As for the handling, I’m pretty much the opposite of you OG, I felt Grid was far too arcadey and it disappointed me in the extreme, which is why I would want a demo for F1. I guess that just goes to show what a tough job they have to try and please everyone. What worries me is that they’ll please no-one with whatever compromise they come to.

It’s not to do with “realism” imo, by the way. It’s just about a handling model that I find fun. I’ve never really understood when folks can’t accept that different people like different things.

9. OlderGamer

Points well taken Brave. I am hoping for a scalable aproach. That is why I enjoyed F1 Champ ed so much.

10. G1GAHURTZ

I wasn’t convinceed when I read that Codies were making this game… Now due to the lack of a demo and the bizarre looking racing going on in that video, I’m almost definitely not getting this.