LOTRO F2P screens – Character Generation, Locked Quests

Saturday, 17th July 2010 17:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

lotro

Turbine has released a new batch of screenshots from the upcoming Volume 3, Book 2 of The Lord of the Rings Online, which will launch this fall.

The update will make the game free-to-play and will introduce the new pricing model, as well as extend the story.

The screens depict the new character generation experience and locked quest icons.

In the latest developer diary for the game, Jonathan “Berephon” Rudder writes about the level 65 area Enedwaith, which is south of Eregion and passageway to the northern area of Dunland.

The first place players will come across in the new area is Fordirith, also know as the Northern Watch. Onward through the area is the Windfells which is what Turbine is calling the grasslands bordered by the Misty Mountains.

By the time the Fellowship passed into this area, very few of the ranging forests were left due to wars, Numenoreans taking timber, and then of course, Sauron’s war with the elves centuries before. However, more remote areas of timber remain like Eryn Vorn (The Back Wood) survived along with the Old Forest.

On the west side of the Windfells, lies Minhiriath and the Greenway which leads from Breeland cuts through here as well, so do the Gloomglens which are full of white stags, boar, wolves and Stoor hobbits.

There’s tons more information in the developer diary, some of it familiar to those immersed in LotR lore, and areas created by Turbine to compliment it.

We’re getting a look at the new FTP and areas next week, so we’ll let you know what we think of it then.

LOTRO’s new content and FTP changes are currently in Beta.

1. Hunam

So are these ‘locked’ quests one that are new to the game that wouldn’t have been in the original release… high level maybe?

2. Stephany Nunneley

Yes, they take place in Enedwaith.

3. Hunam

I’m going to assume that’s a high level zone.

4. Stephany Nunneley

I updated the post with information from the latest developer diary.

Yes, it’s a lvl 65 area, and I haven’t finished Mirkwood on my 65 because some quests are just too hard for my hunter all by her lonesome. Swishy thing she is…

…and swashy.

5. Hunam

LOTRO back in the early days when I played was quite a friendly place, is it not as friendly these days?

6. Stephany Nunneley

Oh sure, it’s as friendly as ever, but most people in Mirkwood, at least when I am on, have already finished the quests and moved on to working on lower level alts – and those on my pal list are either not in Mirkwood yet or on sabbatical until the new areas come out.

7. Hunam

Ah, I know what you mean. I saw it in WoW, MMO’s have like, waves and if you don’t keep up with it then you’ll basically get stuck in a rut.

8. Stephany Nunneley

Exactly, and how the heck can you keep up with folks who do nothing else? I am lucky if I get to play two nights a week anymore.

9. Hunam

I seem to play aion about 4 hours every two weeks at the moment, only like level 13.

10. Stephany Nunneley

The two nights I am lucky to play Lotro a week, hit around three hours tops before it’s bed time.

I am starting to think polygamy is the only way to go. It would give me an extra hand around here so I can finally play some videogames :D

11. Hunam

Those scientists promised us helper robots by 2010. That’s whose to blame.

12. Stephany Nunneley

I would be happy with just a Roomba.

13. James Mac

I’m still waiting for the rocket packs we were all supposed to have by now too.