Wada: “Difficult to determine” where Final Fantasy should “go”, some fans “not very happy” with FFXIII

Thursday, 15th July 2010 15:23 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffxiii7

Yoichi Wada has told Gamasutra it would be “difficult to determine” where the Final Fantasy series should go following the release of FFXIII back in March.

The Square Enix president said it was difficult to tell if the series should become “a new type of game” or not.

“I think this is a product that was able to meet the expectations for those who know Final Fantasy,” said Wada. “There are all kinds of games around in the market today. Should Final Fantasy become a new type of the game or should Final Fantasy not become a new type of game?

“The customers have different opinions. It’s very difficult to determine which way it should go.”

Wada had said previously that FFXIII would probably signify the end of “this type of game” being developed at Square Enix.

Square fanboys in FFXIII rage shocker

During the Gama interview, Wada also touched on Final Fantasy XIII itself, saying he was pleased with how the game did in terms of sales – it shipped 5 million units worldwide and sold 5-and-a-half million units since launch – but felt some fans were “not very happy” with how it had turned out.

“Looking at the numbers alone,” he said, “it is pretty good, because we were able to release the latest Final Fantasy in all three markets of Japan, United States, and Europe in a very short period of time, and we were able to reach 5 million units rapidly — and I think this product will grow further.”

“But when it comes to the customers’ reaction to the quality of the game”, he added, “some value it highly and some are not very happy with it.”

Oh dear.

The next numbered installment in the Final Fantasy series, MMO XIV, releases in September for PC, with a March 2011 release on PS3.

As for a 360 release, never.

1. LOLshock94

mmos are always shit and this is going to be shit

2. ensabahnur

At the end of the day, all i want is a proper sequel to the original Final Fantasy Tactics, not the BS on the GBA they released.

3. Alakratt

I second that!

4. loki

@2 you absolutely right

may be some fans “not very happy”, but i very happy

5. Blerk

They should can absolutely everything and reboot it from scratch. And take a good, hard look at some of this generation’s awesome Western RPGs before they do anything at all.

6. Suikoden Fan

well 13 fell into the trap alot of games this gen have, graphics over substance, while ff13 was long, it was mostly corridors and the ‘open’ area wasn’t that open. There werew little to no sidequests and tbh this is the second FF the other being 12,that i have playedand once finished i didn’t really want to replay it.

This game also wen’t abit insane with the grinding too. Maybe the grinding seemed slower in this game compared to the others but either way, the power leveling just didn’t feel the same.

If FF stayed with this direction, i doubt i’d care for a 15 that much. I wasn’t expecting much from 13 despite the enormous hype that most websites including this one gave it and going by general reaction was not deserved. Imo leave the hype to the marketing teams.

I know they try to break the mold with each game now but its starting to feel thet are breaking the mold just to have a new selling point or beacause they have too, not because of the benefit to the gamer.

Despite this rather negative post i didn’t hate fff13, but its not memorable, and nothing like there older work.

also this game did actually bore me during chapters 4-6 with its rather slow character developments, it was like the middle of the story was sucked out of it, before and after those chapters was interesting but during felt snail pace.

7. StolenGlory

@2 I also agree.

Although I am still looking forward (alabeit cautiously) to FF: Versus XIII.

8. NoxNoctisUmbra

Final Fanasy XII (12) was one of the best FF games for me. So how the heck they effed up the next one? I am hoping for the MMO version to be fun. I will try it out for about 2 or 3 months.

9. ivycrew707

I loved it needed something new…..but it was WAY to hard to find cash (gil) on the game….that was my only gripe…..dont turn it into another call of duty and keep repeating the same game plan over and over…..just open it up a little

10. ekfight

@6 thats pretty much how I feel about the game. Im going through it now, almost completed, and I cant help but wonder where the charm is.

It looks great, and the battles are handled nicely when you get used to the system. Although I cant help thinking of the classic FF games and what gave them their charm.

This game felt very cold compared to earlier titles. They really need to harken back to the days of great villians and proper RPGing – not corridor battle gaming.
    Exploration is key imo.

And throughout this entire game, I knew what I was fighting for/against, but never really “who”. I think a major downfall to this game was character development (even though the game ranges in at 60+ hours). I moreso just mean the characters themselves.

No proper antagonist really hurts a game that needs to be driving you.

I say FF should go steampunk or, dare I say it… fantasy!

11. DUFFKING

I hope FFXV keeps the battle system from 13 and builds a more interesting game around it. The battle system is constantly involving after the half way point rather than degenerating into ‘use fire spell on enemy A, water on B, physical on C’ until you move into a new area.

12. OlderGamer

+100

Once again Blerk spot on.

The last FF game did very little to expand their market/fan base. A more western friendly reboot is long over due.

13. Blerk

It doesn’t even have to be more Western, just more…. 21st century.

14. The Hindle

They just need to go back to the Ps1 days FF, the worldmaps and then go back to FF 6 for inspiration for thier characters.

15. ivycrew707

@11……+1

16. Blerk

Nooo, don’t go ‘back’ – that’s half the problem. They don’t progress, and the Western RPG is leaving them behind like some kind of novelty relic of RPGs-gone-by.

Those games were great ‘then’, but now? They’re just not going to cut it in the face of the competition.

17. The Hindle

It isnt the problem, with the Ps2 era FFS they took the whole freedom away and made it linear. If they made a FF like FF 6 7 8 or 9 with the world map and obviously FF 13s battle system i think that could be awesome.

18. Blerk

The “world map” concept’s such an 8-bit throw-back, though. They need to do it properly and have a ‘world’. Look at Oblivion/Fallout 3 and then imagine a Final Fantasy with a game world like that.

19. OlderGamer

So many folks are saying “go back, go back” I disagree. I think that lack of fundimental change is what has got the game to this point.

Your never going to recreate the same kind of magic that was on the SNES. And the reason for that is that as a generation, we are long past the snes. If you updated the graphics, yet stuck to the classic game, you would have something like what they have now.

Things just don’t work the same anymore. It was perfectly acceptable to have a wall of text back then. Now gamers expect voice acting and cut scenes. So we get something like the last FF.

JRPGS used to work better years ago because you played the game in your mind. Now you play it with your eyes. Its like reading a book vs watching a movie. On the Nes/Snes you were the voice of each char(no jaring JP VOs). The story played out as fast as you wanted to read, no long cut scenes to remove your from the flow of the game.

I just don’t think that going backwards is the answer. I feel that fundimentaly many of the games coming out of JP need to change and move forward. The JRPG is prolly the best example of that.

Make yourself a check list of what a great RPG needs. And a list of what a RPG should avoid.

My checklist includes such things as Exploration. Strong char development. Choices in building party/toons. Choices in story that effect the game around me. Fun combat(your going to do a lot of it, it should be more then functional/mechanical).

I have a list of things to avoid too. Like bad voice acting. Flamboyant chars. Anoying chars. Poorly done combat. Too many cut scenes. Cookie cutter stories/chars. Games that control the how/when/and way I have to play.

Everyones list is going to be a tad different, but when I think about most current JRPGs … they aren’t even close.

So I say open it up, learn from western devs/games. And move forward.

That being said FF II(NA) on the Snes still stands as one of my all time fav rpgs ever(western or eastern).

20. The Hindle

The recent Dragon Quest on the Ds is the way they should go from now on, i have not played it but its been getting rave reviews across the board.

21. OlderGamer

To be honest Hindle, that is another problem for the JRPG.

Handlehelds. They work great in JP but not se well outside of it. If the JP stick to handhelds, I believe they will further alienate themselves from the main stream(western) audiance.

I think the JP need a multiplatform mega hit RPG. Something pushinf 15-25M units. Something Mario/Halo/CoD big. And it can’t be on a handheld.

22. The Hindle

No Rpg or JRPG will ever do those numbers OG, as a genre its just way to niche to hit that. IF Wow cant do it then nothing can. FF 13 was flawed but it did something right to sell 5m plus copies more then any western rpg this gen btw.

Did it deserve those numbers no way :D I dont know what can be done to make FF revelent again westernise it hmm

23. Dr.Ghettoblaster

1. Drop the stupid huge indoor locations that look like abandoned warehouses with no point to their existence.

2. Add more outdoor locations, towns, cities, caves, water, jungles, realistic variety of locations, etc.

3. Give players more control. Just cause it’s a final fantasy game, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have the ability to make our player interact more with the world around us (ie. jump/climbing over bushes, fences, etc).

4. Ideally? Take the LOOK and FEEL of FF7, and translate something more like that into 3D. (ie. extremely detailed locations, towns, etc with a strong “lived in” feel)

Just my two cents.

24. Happy Hardon Harry

The franchise should go in the bin!FF games just aren’t good anymore.

Square have milked the shite out of FF and it shows…

JRPG’s in general need a major re-think.

Still, 5 million fuck-wits went and bought a mediocre title based on the name alone. Sigh.

25. Happy Hardon Harry

loki said:
    July 15, 2010 at 3:46 pm

may be some fans “not very happy”, but i very happy

An idiot speaks…

26. ensabahnur

I dont think the franchise should go away, i just think they need to rethink their whole process, i mean 14-16 hours whatever it is in FF13 to get to the meat, I am sorry, i am not gonna put myself through that, i have other RPG’s i can play, and i love the FF Series, but they just need to rethink their strategy and get off of their high horse thinking they can do what they want.

I reiterate, Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1 even with all of its translation problems was still a great game and deserves a proper sequel.

Give me an RPG where you have sidequests that are not necessary but will give you godlike powers if you go through with them, little things, and i hate to say it but Fable has got it right in some parts, but i want more party members in my squad.

27. Boris Fett

Stop spending 500 hours modelling a rock in the corner of the screen and you might actually have time to put in some actual gameplay.

28. Hunam

What Boris Fett said.

Poor management. I mean who can’t make a town.

29. Boris Fett

@28 Square Enix, apparently.

If they were able to do it for FFXII, they’re able to do it for FFXV.

30. Hunam

It’s just bizarre reading all their excuses. Boo, we can’t make a town.

Rockstar made a fucking functioning city.

31. Phoenixblight

You forgot FF versus because it will have towns.

As it was stated previously they focused on graphic which in turn took away the ability to make towns.

Honestly I would settle for less eye candy for more open game play like KH series on the Ps2.

32. revsoul

I thought is was “dumbed down” quite a bit.

To attract new people to the experience they made it too much of an action-adventure instead of sticking to what worked and expanding on that.

Personally, I blame the cross-over to the 360 for this as a high percentage of 360 gamers are “shooter-fps” type of gamers.

33. DaMan

they should in fact ‘go back’. to the days when their titles put gameplay above crappy, pseudo intellectual, melodramatic plotlines, late SNES. that’s the point in time they should start from (and I don’t mean literally, but more in the sense that they should reconsider their approach to videogames they develop). put the genre back on the right track.

and drop the bloody story driven approach, or at least present it in a plausible way like ie FFXII did.

34. Freek

The fact that people could legitimatly say that FF13 became fun after 25 hours when the tutorial bitt was finaly over is something they might wanna look at.

35. HighWindXIX

I would like to perform an experiment. To those of you that have played FFXIII and didn’t like it, go back and play one of those FFs that you hold so dearly in your heart and see how it feels today. I used to think that FFVI was an amazing piece of art. I played it a month ago and could not even get through the World of Balance. I for one thought that both XII and XIII were great games. I do not think FF should become more Western. I think it needs to embrace its heritage and the fact that its made in Japan and go all out. Look at Persona. Nothing Western about them at all but 3 & 4 are two of the best RPGs ever. IMO at least.

36. DaMan

odd argument.. should I also justify Resistance being a mediocre game by saying that Duke3d isn’t as fun as it felt in 1996.

when I play retro titles myself, I do keep in mind all the limitations that were imposed by the hardware back in the days, as well as a relative lack of the same devs’ (ie Squaresoft) experience compared to today.

37. Phoenixblight

Argument fail because I still play all the previous FFs that I had enjoyed and I still enjoy them. I play them at least once a month.

38. Suikoden Fan

@35 i play retro games more than current stuff, why? because it was better, it was substance over graphics, hell even licensed titles back in the good old days were actually good unlike today.

39. Kuwabara

Ffs! cant they work on a new vagrant story instead.The titties of ff are being milked to hard and turning sour

40. Phoenixblight

Not possible since the designer bounced more than a few years ago.

41. osric90

I have an idea and many will hate me for this. Give the saga a GOOD breath of fresh air. Try without failing what you did with that shooter. Bring all the beautiful character, long story, awesome cutscenes and everything that made that game so good to a mix of Uncharted, Devil May Cry and Metal Gear Solid. Make a plot that starts from 0 to 100% by its own and it’s not necessary to play previous games to understand nor appreciate it more. Take the risk… Change its nature… There have been like 20 games that look and abuse playing too similar(except for new graphics and options).

42. Catkiller

FF13 was very long and boring, for me it would be best if the sequel will last 50 hours with optional sideqeuests and only 20hrs for the story itself. I hate long games, I rather play game more times (e.g. Resi 2) than make a long way with first completing and dont have energy for the replays. The FF franchise have to finish, at least for some time.