Hirshberg: Activison needs to regain the hardcore’s trust

Thursday, 15th July 2010 16:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

hirshberg

Eric Hirshberg, the newly-appointed CEO of Activision Publishing, has admitted the company needs to work on regaining the trust of the hardcore.

Speaking with Gamasutra, Hirshberg said with Activision shifting its focus on the mass market, the hardcore demographic is still important and the company needs to regain its reputation among the group.

“I think there’s certainly a reality to [a bad reputation] in the hardcore gaming blogosphere,” he said. “You sort of can’t escape that there’s some perceptual problems and an air of controversy, certainly right now.

“I don’t think that’s anything that’s widely-held in the consumer community, but I definitely think it’s something that we need to correct. A company that has so many of the world’s most beloved games should have the reputational momentum to match, amongst gamers.”

Hirshberg said the videogame market also has a tendency to take itself too seriously, thus Deutsch L.A. – his current firm – bringing to life the lovable Kevin Butler for Sony, and Activision hiring him, a marketing exec, to gain a fresh perspective.

“On the whole, on average, I think that video games are fun, they’re entertainment, and advertising should take on that tonality,” he said.

“As far as how the gaming industry communicates [with consumers], I think there’s some excellent work, and I think there’s some not-so-excellent work in the industry. I think one of the struggles and one of the constant debates will be the value of consistency from a single brand versus the value of diversity and the ability to communicate a specific title.

“I think any industry has the tendency to be insular, inward-looking and self-referential, and looking to other disciplines is always a way to get fresh ideas and fresh takes on things.There are those formulas and habits to unlearn.”

Hirshberg’s appointment was announced earlier in the week, and he takes over the position left vacant from Mike Griffith in September.

1. Boris Fett

He’s off to a good start, but I fear he might be trying to take on Satan with nothing more than a spork.

2. Quiiick

Regain trust? Fine!
    Start off by firing Bobby Kotick.

3. BraveArse

@1 :D Greatest analogy… ever.

oh and +1

4. Bloodyghost

Hey Great Idea! How about making COD great again and not each installment a bleek piece of shit. How about not killing a new IP DJ Hero? How about trying not to do what you did to Guitar Hero, take it over and just run it into the casual ground.

Also Fire fucking Bobby Kotick. Then you gain my trust. Even EA is disgusted in you guys and they where you..

5. Alakratt

Gain my trust?

1. Great, fire Kotick, overlord of all that is evil.
    2. Don’t overprice shit!
    3. Stop milking franchises every year!

6. DeSpiritusBellum

I guess the question is how do you make people actually listen to what you’re saying, rather than just seeing what they want to see.

I think they just need to start packaging their games with a complimentary helping of tylenol.

7. dirigiblebill

You’d be surprised at the damage one can do with a spork.

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Issue a credit (amount unknown) for those who shelled out $30 for two map packs becuase they enjoy the game, but got raped by the company.

9. joshua nash

@2- there is a better chance of me having sex with yvonne strahovski & miranda kerr at the same time while driving a bugatti veyron in a drag race against Top Gears “the stig” and winning, then there is of Activision ever firing Kotick

10. LOLshock94