Gilbert: PSN and XBL need games with “some real meat” on them

Wednesday, 14th July 2010 17:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

deathspank

Ron Gilbert has said he hopes DeathSpank helps “open the door” for future digital titles on PSN and XBL.

Speaking with Gamasutra, Gilbert said the digital sphere needs interesting games with “more meat on them”.

“[DeathSpank] is very different from a lot of stuff that’s in the download space,” he said. “I’m kind of hoping in a way that it’ll open up the door to the Xbox and the PSN having more games with some real meat on them.

“I’m really hoping this is kind of the future of downloads, and that we can get some really good, interesting games in the download space.”

DeathSpank is out on PSN and hits XBL today, and has been hinted for PC by the creator himself.

1. Bloodyghost

Blacklight Tango Down is an example of something that has a lot of meat for its price. Reviewers say this game last up to 9 hours so I think thats pretty long for a 15 dollar DLC game.

2. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Wipeout HD and Shadow Complex are the best examples in my opinion of digital download only games with some real meat on them.

Can’t wait for new Lara Croft game though. That ones looking really good.

3. amirmir

I’m actually waiting for Shank.

4. revolting

To be fair, DeathSpank is freaking awesome. I’m finding it massively enjoyable, and the production quality is top notch. Previously the only PSN/XBLArcade game I’ve enjoyed as much has been Castle Crashers. The two are the only ones to date I’ve personally found to be of equal value than full retail products. I certainly hope more of this quality will come along… both marketplaces have otherwise been bogged down with throw-away dross so far. There certainly have been others I’ve paid for and played, but they all felt like the low-budget sub-standard games you’d expect to see in that space, more of a diversion than a serious challenge to my mainstream games. Castle Crashers and DeathSpank are head and shoulders above the norm for this format.

5. DaMan

there ‘re plenty of good games on XBLA/PSN. Assault Heroes, Small Arms, Omega Five, Shadow Complex, Trials. just to name a few. all are completely worth the money.

if you pay $8 for a title, why expect it to have the length of a retail release?

6. frostquake

Death Spank ROCKS! I hope this is the New Standard for DLC as well as BlackLight Stands out as Well. I am looking forward to Limbo, but being only 3-4 hours and at $15.00, it better really suck me in!