GameStop: “We don’t like being in the used games business”

Tuesday, 13th July 2010 18:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

gamestop

US retailer GameStop has admitted that it “doesn’t like” being in the second-hand games market.

Speaking during a keynote at Develop by Instant Action CEO Louis Castle, Niall Lawlor of GameStop Sweden said it had to remain in the market to survive in the games business.

“We don’t like being in the used games business, but we have to be there. We would have to exit the games business otherwise,” he said.

Castle said the measure being done by shops in the US like GameStop and Best Buy were “thievery”.

“While you’re preserving some margins, used is accelerating changes,” said Castle.

“I can see the train wreck, it’s coming. Pretty soon everyone is losing money. Used is accelerating the decline of profitability for publishers. The oxygen is being sucked out of the room.”

A GameStop spokesperson, however, revealed in a statement that Lawlor’s comments were “inaccurate,” adding it was “the cornerstone of our business.”

“Both the buy/sell model and bricks and mortar retail are extremely important for our business both today and in the future as we continue to grow,” said the representative.

“Our European business is very important to us and we have lots of exciting new developments in the pipeline.”

Via MCV and GI.

1. theevilaires

Wow don’t you just hate liars? :(

2. Hunam

Which retailer in the US is infamous for only stocking new games to fulfil pre-orders and maybe 1 or 2 on the shelf and then just putting a trade in offer for the game so they can sell all copies from week 2 onwards as used and never order in any more new?

3. Bloodyghost

Jesus Gamestop, can you guys look more like the most greedist company in the world? Love the US has only Gamestop, if not just them its some other trash store that is more of a rip off then Gamestop.

4. Phoenixblight

They are not JUST in US.

5. Wonko

I’m really hoping for Videogame Market Crash 2.0 to happen. The industry needs a “reset”.

6. Bloodyghost

@4 I know that…I was saying here in the states the only game stores are gamestop. There are some other ones but there either small in comparison and are not chains or are bigger of rip offs then Gamestop.

7. Hunam

Plus you guys don’t have websites like Play.com or Zavvi/The Hut to get real cheap stuff from.

Gaming is far too expensive in the New World compared to the Old Country, fo’ sho’.

8. MushroomStamp

That’s because there can’t be any competition when game prices are fixed. No store that is purely games like Gamestop can open and be successful because they have to offer at the exact same price. You can buy games in every dept store from Sears to JC Penny, best buy, wal-mart.. even 7-11′s now. We don’t need another of the exact same store as gamestop.. what would be the point.

Used market is the only way for a store like Gamestop to survive. They offer nothing else over any of the many ways to get games. Price Fixing sucks.

9. OlderGamer

I love how GS makes themself seem like a victim.

Second hands sales are an industry problem. But so are new games priced at 60+usd, plus week one dlc. NCAA Football 11 offers 2400MS pnts worth of dlc day one. Most of whats being offered as dlc used to be included in the retail box.

I say that type of stuff is just as BS as second hand retail stores. Maybe worse. Hoenestly I am not paying 90usd for a slightly updated version of last years sports game.

At this point I play games I already own. I buy games on Steam, xbla, xblig, PSN, and yes once in awhile I will buy second hand games.

When EA stops pimiping out 90usd games, I might reconsider.

10. hitnrun

As irrelevant as it is – what their brass “likes” or “doesn’t like” – I suppose it’s a better sentiment than “our used game business will control the world,” which was the tune they were singing two or three years ago.

11. frostquake

Any one like to join a class action lawsuit against Gamestop. Hell I pre-order games from Gamestop only to have the ONLY copy gutted and put out on the Shelf…The last time was a mistake, because I know the Store Manager well now, but other Gamestop have gutted my Pre-Order Game, so I get a Box off the shelf that has Kid Snot and Baby Shit on it, and a scratched Disc from those damn prickly card board sleeves!

12. freedoms_stain

I only ever buy really old games used in the UK, new games used they knock off like a fiver or a couple of quid, you can usually get em new online cheaper.

13. Amored