Ubi Q1 figures – Conviction sells 1.9 million, Driver delayed into 2011

Monday, 12th July 2010 16:56 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Conviction

Ubisoft’s just released first quarter figures, confirming sales of 1.9 million for Splinter Cell: Conviction since its April launch and a push into 2011 for Driver: San Francisco.

Driver had originally been slated for a November 2010 release.

Sales for the quarter ending June 30 were €160 million, up 93 percent compared to the €83 million recorded in the same period last year.

Guidance had been set at €145 million, the upside being pegged on Conviction’s excellent performance and “sustained sales” of Just Dance, Assassin’s Creed 2 and Avatar.

The publisher reiterated its expectation to return to growth this fiscal year.

Ubi’s Q2 highlights are H.A.W.X. 2 and R.U.S.E., with sales estimated at a flat €83 million compared to last year.

Driving out of the “competitive market”

Ubisoft gave little explanation as to the shift in Driver’s date, other than it would have been facing a “competitive market at Christmas”.

Driver now joins Ghost Recon: Future Soldier in 2011, leaving Ubi’s core offering for holiday 2010 looking sparse, with only Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood plugging the gap.

No solid new release date was given for the title, other than the “fourth quarter of the fiscal year”: that’s January-March 2011.

The next in the Ghost Recon series was shoved back into the first calendar quarter of 2011 in May, with the “competitive environment” again being blamed for the move.

1. The Hindle

1.9m how does that compare to previous Splinter Cells? Anyone actually have the sales for each game.

2. Bloodyghost

Thank god Driver got pushed back! I want Driver but I am very tight on money for this fall.

3. Dralen

Conviction probably would have done even better if the PC version wasn’t so royally screwed.

4. Patrick Garratt

Those Conviction sales are well-deserved, in my opinion. Great game.

5. Dralen

@4 I agree, it was a great game. But the DRM sucked on the PC version.

6. Patrick Garratt

@5 – Yep. Was a shame all that happened before they got the game out, to be honest.

7. The Hindle

Have they ever released sales for the other games, i wouldnt mind seeing how they compare.

8. DeSpiritusBellum

@PatGar I’ve read in a few reviews that the DRM was dodgy to the point of wanting to throw the game away, and I know from my brother playing Settlers that it certainly causes a lot of very annoying disconnects – What was it like when you played it?

9. Patrick Garratt

@8 – I played it on 360. I never even saw the PC version, I’m afraid.

10. DeSpiritusBellum

@9 Gotcha. I’m just gonna go sit in a corner and be bitter about Ubisoft surviving on console sales, and kids not loving their PCs like they damn well should.

I guess to their credit Ubisoft started publishing really proper games about the same time they launched the DRM of doom.

11. Blerk

Really not surprised to see Driver getting pushed back, was there anyone who was impressed with it after E3?

12. LOLshock94