Sony warns of potential “eye fatigue or nausea” from 3D games

Monday, 12th July 2010 21:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

vomit

Everyone’s going to be doing this in three years.

Sony’s updated PlayStation’s terms and conditions to warn that playing 3D games or viewing 3D content in general might give you mental eyes and make you throw up.

The note also recommends that you don’t let children under the age of six view 3D material before consulting a doctor as their vision is “still under development”.

Which all sounds highly convenient. So that’s buying a new TV, buying some glasses, throwing up everywhere, going blind and ruining the lives of your small children: 3D, here we come.

Here’s the new stuff:

“Some people may experience discomfort (such as eye strain, eye fatigue or nausea) while watching 3D video images or playing stereoscopic 3D games on 3D televisions. If you experience such discomfort, you should immediately discontinue use of your television until the discomfort subsides.

“SCEA recommends that all viewers take regular breaks while watching 3D video or playing stereoscopic 3D games. The length and frequency of necessary breaks may vary from person to person. Please take breaks that are long enough to allow any feelings of discomfort to subside. If symptoms persist, consult a doctor.

“The vision of young children (especially those under six years old) is still under development. SCEA recommends that you consult your doctor (such as a pediatrician or eye doctor) before allowing young children to watch 3D video images or play stereoscopic 3D games. Adults should supervise young children to ensure they follow the recommendations listed above.”

Via Kokogamer and Joystiq.

1. Rhythm

I used a Samsung 3DTV over the weekend and it’s *littered* with warnings all over the menu systems. It warns you about the fatigue/nausea thing everytime you switch between 2D/3D.

2. sweetasman01

I was wondering what they changed in the terms in conditions, thanks.

3. cookiejar

It’s alright. I get the same fatigue and nausea whenever I watch something on ITV 2 :D

4. Moonwalker1982

Sony showing off KZ3 in 3D during E3 like everybody will want to play games wearing glasses, no Sony…hell no. And now this..what the…

5. G1GAHURTZ

Anything that tricks your eyes into functioning in a way that they’re not designed to function can’t be good for your health.

If someone ever develops a way to make pixels or polygons display at an exact point in real space, I’m sure I’ll be interested.

Until then, I’m staying well clear of all the current 3D tech, except the 3DS, as I want to see one in action first.

6. osric90

Dudes, seriously, be careful about that. Constant eye fatigue may lead you to glasses and/or stopping your videogames’ “constancy”. Better play as usual and use 3D very seldom.

7. Aimless

This isn’t really a big deal, is it? Games have regularly warned users about potential seizures for years, the Wii suggests you don’t beat your family to death every time you load up a game, et cetera. It’s just a company covering their backs against litigious cretins.

8. Tomo

Magnificent story image and article tags! :D

9. Anders

“blindness, death, vomiting”

It’s the future, y’all! :)

10. HighWindXIX

Yeah but you do realize that there’s always warnings like this for video games. You’re also not supposed to play in a dark room and you’re supposed to take a 15 minute break every hour. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I always play in the dark and never take 15 minute breaks and have never had any ill effects. This is just a company covering their back.

11. Psychotext

I once threw up after having a 20 hour gaming session. I had a migraine for the entire of the next day.

I don’t think I could wear 3D glasses for more than a couple of hours though. I take them off from time to time in the cinema / when I used to have them with my PC… just to rest my eyes / refocus a bit.

12. onlineatron

‘blindness, death, vomiting’

All handily softened by the amazing header image.

13. hitnrun

@7, 10

“This isn’t really a big deal, is it? Games have regularly warned users about potential seizures for years.”

Yes, but the difference between that and this is that seizures were (and are) an infinitesimally rare occurrence gleefully trumpeted by your parents’ favorite newscaster, while some form of 3D “discomfort” (of varying severity) afflicts a large portion of people, maybe even most of us.

14. Aimless

My point is that it’s something you (should) already know, it’s not some newly uncovered health risk. This is not some admission by Sony of a widespread problem, they have to cover every little thing because apparently legal fees are cheaper than common sense.

I found watching Avatar in 3D rather uncomfortable and it’s quite possible the same will be true for stereoscopic games. My cunning plan to avoid said discomfort is to stop doing whatever’s causing it.

15. OlderGamer

What I can’t figure out is why?

Why push 3D. Seems foolish.

Is there a problem with the current way we play video games that I am unaware of?

Like many of you, I also tried 3D. W/glasses. Was a complete waste of time. And as above, gave me a headache that lasted all day long, and I felt uneasy stomachwise.

16. Psychotext

“Why push 3D”

£ $ ¥ €

17. OlderGamer

18. C

19. macronia

thx Sony for bringing new level to PS3 system and new level of sick for PS3 gamers

20. Kerplunk

Doctor: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
    Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this
    Doctor: Stop doing it then

21. Blerk

“Some people may experience discomfort (such as eye strain, eye fatigue or nausea) while watching 3D video images or playing stereoscopic 3D games on 3D televisions.”

/raises hand

I’ve not thrown up yet. I’ll take that as a challenge.

22. Isuru86

Giant Brain Tumors Incoming !

23. Psychotext

“Just because some suit somewhere makes the call to push 3D, doesn’t mean they will make millions of it.”

Absolutely right. But TV manufacturers desperately needed the next big thing after HDTV (to prop up their flagging profits)… and 3D is it, for better or worse.

24. freedoms_stain

I reckon most people would get used to it eventually if they did feel ill effects.

25. frostquake

As someone who beta tested 3D products at length, there is NO WAY IN HELL I am going to get anything 3D to play at length.

This is the first time that I have had adverse side effects from an electronic product, with all those warnings in the past I just thought, yeah just covering their butts, but this will become a VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM.

I HIGHLY recommend that before you spend TONS of money on 3D that you Demo it somewhere first, and preferably at length, maybe a friends house?? Or See Several 3D Movies in One Day, with no breaks in between.

If your going to Game, for a 4 hour stretch like you have done in the past you better try it before you buy it or you could be out of a ton of money, as well suffer permanent eye damage.

I like the way they have Now just formed a Health Board to review the effects of long term exposure to 3D, after Millions if not Billions are being spent to have this in our homes within the next 3-5 years.

HUGE ASS BIG PASS BY ME!! Been there done that, and suffered deeply..No Game is ever worth a 48-36 hour migraine, with vomiting, nausea and missing out on 3 days of functioning.

26. Patrick Garratt

@25 – :o

27. Blerk

Sounds like an average Saturday night out.

28. Len

Don’t you mean Sun morning…?

29. justiceblob

Am I the ONLY person that feels entirely comfortable with 3D? I dont get this fatigue, I’ve never been sick, and I’ve certainly never died.

30. Blerk

Can you prove that you never died?

31. justiceblob

I’m not sure…. But I’m alive now. Maybe I can’t remember because I’ve been through some kind of Doctor Who style metamorphosis