Nvidia announces sub-$200 DirectX11 graphics card

Monday, 12th July 2010 14:42 GMT By Patrick Garratt

geforce

Now keeping up with the Joneses won’t mean re-mortgaging the house.

NVIDIA today announced the latest addition to its Fermi card range, the DX11-enabled GeForce GTX 460. The good bit’s that it’s priced at $199.

Apparently it delivers “monster tessellation performance” over competing GPUs. Read “ATI”.

The hardware’s shipping in two versions:

• GTX 460 768MB, with a 192-bit memory interface at an estimated U.S. price of $199
  • GTX 460 1GB, with a 256-bit memory interface at an estimated US price of $229

The 768Mb version is available today, and no date was given for the 1Gb card.

Praise for the move has been high.

“With the GeForce GTX 460, NVIDIA is really upping the ante with an amazingly fast DirectX 11 GPU available at a great, mainstream-friendly price,” said Epic’s Tim Sweeney.

“Its new hardware tessellation support will enable games to reach an entirely new caliber of graphics.”

Get the full press release here. There’s no mention of launch details outside the US.

1. Erthazus

Thats a really good deal. I will probably buy Direct X 11 card but later.

285 GTX is enough for every game to run on max + 3D for me.
    and will probably make a significant upgrade after Doom 4 release.

2. Dralen

That is nice. I’ve got a 280 myself, so I’m good for a while. I’ll probably wait and see what the comparisons look like before I upgrade.

3. Droid

Even my 260GTX runs 2 screens at 1920×1080 each with ease, for all the latest games in dx10. There aren’t enough games out to justify a dx11 card purchase for me.

4. fdelfino

I’m way behind, I got a GT9800 GeForce. This one seems the obvious upgrade for me in some time. The 1 Gb, of course.

5. Hunam

I’ll need to see some performance tests before I start thinking about upgrading methinks.

6. Crysis

i’ve got an 4350, well i only had $25 on me @ the time & i only knew i needed any card 2 on the shelf play the games i wanted, worked out fine so i bought a 2nd one l8r on, no game 2day requires more to run, atleast i don’t think there is

7. fdelfino

Check out this website:

8. loki

no thx

9. unacomn

My 8800 Ultra was good, but it big the dust big time a month ago. A 460 for 200$ sounds cheap enough for me to afford in a few months.

10. Happy Hardon Harry

loki, bright as a blackout as usual…

Anyway, i’ll pass on this card as i’m still running a GTX 275 and the performance from the 460 isn’t that great a step over the former. If i didn’t already have the 275 i’d easily get this card.

PC Gaming FTW!

11. theevilaires

$200 card sounds great for high performance. I’ve been a little harsh on PC gaming this past week. So I decided to build my own gaming PC from scratch.

I ordered this case and power supply over the weekend http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6295267&CatId=1846 so I’m going to see if PC gaming is all its said its cracked up to be.

If anyone can help me pick out a good motherboard and graphics card I’d appreciate it.

12. ShiroGamer

no need ,I wont sell my 275 anytime soon
    not real DX11 games out to make me do so

13. ReeceHeywood

I’m happy with my GTX 285.