Moore: 3D “not quite what you need” for team sports

Monday, 12th July 2010 10:44 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fifa112

Madden and FIFA in 3D? Sounds as though there’s some convincing to do, if comments from EA Sports president Peter Moore are any indication.

“When you’re doing team sports – and FIFA and Madden are good examples – the camera comes out higher to allow you to play the game and see the field. I’ve seen Madden already in 3D: you go down tight and the 3D effect is very cool, but when you come back to normal, 22-players? It’s not quite what you need,” Moore told VG247 at E3 last month.

“We’re looking at it, and we’ve certainly seen our games running in it, but we won’t just do it for the sake of doing it.”

Moore added that shooters such as Crysis 2 and Killzone provide a “wow factor” when running in 3D.

“I think it’s got to really add value to the game experience,” he said.

3D was one of E3′s most talked-about technologies, with Sony in particular pushing it in both its press conference and meeting spaces at the show.

Last week, Ubisoft said it expects 3D to be a home standard within three years, despite a recent survey showing that around 70 percent of Japanese consumers being put off the technology by the need for glasses.

Moore himself is cautious.

“I don’t think we’ve missed out on much right now,” he said. “I don’t know anybody with a 3D TV; I don’t know about you.”

1. Crysis

if i couild get a decent 3D set 4 less than $1000, i’d get it

2. myiagros

If i could get a decent 3D set with 4 sets of glasses for £800, then i would concider it alongside all the other TVs available.

While it’s more than that i will completely overlook 3D, when choosing a new TV set.

3. Dannybuoy

It’ll just take time to gain full mainstream momentum. I’m sure colour TV took a while to become the norm. Some people still have black and white TVs still!!

4. DrDamn

Even as a big fan I don’t see the tech as being a standard in that it’s not a direct replacement. It’s great for some stuff, not for others – that applies to games and films/tv. So will always be a feature that may or may not be supported.

5. Eon

Something I will no doubt look at in 5-7 years as the tech improves but 3 years? No thankyou, price point and my view that it isn’t a necessary enhancement at this moment in time put me off such a purchase.