Ubisoft – 3D TV in every home in three years

Friday, 9th July 2010 13:19 GMT By Patrick Garratt

3dsponge

Not only will we have new games consoles in three years time, but according to Ubisoft everyone’s going to have a 3D TV as well. Who knew?

“Ubisoft are a big fan of 3D,” UK marketing boss Murray Pannel told Eurogamer this week.

“We were the first publisher to create a proper 3D game with Avatar last year. Ahead of its time in many ways because the technology was in its infancy and you couldn’t buy 3D TVs at all.

“The truth is I think it is a technology that’s coming. We can’t ignore it. It’ll start slowly this year. But like HDTV I wouldn’t rule out the fact that this will be installed in everyone’s living room in three year’s time, and for us to be in a position to have content that could really look absolutely amazing in 3D.”

Pannel’s comments come after a Japanese survey recently said that only around 30 percent of consumers were considering buying a 3D TV this year.

Sony is to show a 3D PS3 demo at Develop in Brighton next week, having made 3D a significant part of its E3 press conference last month.

[Pic]

1. Phoenixblight

Not in my house reason being if you already wear glasses, it doesn’t work also I don’t feel like wearing two sets of glasses. Then you have the people who get nauseous or are epileptic.

2. Blerk

Pft. Not a fucking chance.

3. deanimate

“…the fact that this will be installed in everyone’s living room in three year’s time…”

wrong

4. No_PUDding

I assume Ubisoft will be buying them for us.

5. NGCes26294BIV

What @2 said.

6. Hunam

I wont be able to afford another TV in 3 years time :(

7. Thalius

Unless they give one for free i’m not gonna buy a 3DTV

8. Freek

That’s an impossible statement to make as it implies people buy high end TV every couple of years. They clearly don’t.

9. Crysis

@3 “I wouldn’t rule out the fact that this will be installed in everyone’s living room” fact isn’t the right word, but it’s obvious he means that this may or may not happen, personally, i’d buy a 3d tv if it were under $1000 & glasses were less than $10 a pair

10. Dralen

I’m pretty sure this technology will become standard, like how HD is standard now. So as soon as you buy a new telly, which may just be three years down the line, you will have 3D whether you like it or not. And if you’re like me who bought his HDTV several years back, you will want to upgrade.

11. onyxbox

LCD TV’s don’t last anywhere near as long as CRT’s so based on that and that every TV on the market next year will be LED 100Hz + and they’ll all have the 50p IR sender needed to carry the 3D Ready logo… yup I can see there being a lot of 3D Tv’s in peoples houses.

Thing is… how many people will bother to buy the glasses?

10% of that install base?

Perhaps

12. Crysis

pretty sure LED is a form of LCD, right? idk if that’s true or not, just see them advertised as “LED LCD [size & name of set...]“

13. DrDamn

In a couple of years just about every new set will support it – and glasses will be made by a multitude of third parties too, driving down the cost of those to about the price of a controller. It then becomes a much easier sell to people.

Getting some experience of it now is sensible for the big players, there is a difference between supporting 3D and supporting it well. If it does take off later then the devs and publishers can save themselves a lot of money by being involved from this point. Even if it’s just one or two titles or just limited to research.

14. Crysis

nvm that, i wikipedia-d what LED is :P

15. Zarckan

QUICK someone grab the crack pipe from Yves Guillemont

16. DrDamn

@Crysis
    Yeah any big TV you see currently which says LED on it is just using it for backlighting (Edge or Full). LCD is still involved. OLED was meant to be the next big step but it is still very costly for big screens.

@onyxbox
    Minimum for “3D ready” is 120Hz, not 100Hz. Helps support the 1080p24 3D for films rates.

17. Robo_1

Pure ROFL.

I could believe that in three years time every HDTV sold will support 3D, but having it in every home in anything approaching that timescale is a pipe dream that even Ken Kutaragi wouldn’t have had the audacity to voice.

I actually tried out a 3D TV last week, where I was treated to a Toy Story 3 trailer. It was pants to be honest. Sure there was a bit of extra depth there, but nothing worth putting up with the glasses for.

18. Dannybuoy

I’ll be buying one. My current 40″ will be making it to the bedroom at that point. Bring on 3D, bring on the future. Fuck you all you naysayers

19. Quiiick

If Ubisoft is so good at predicting things, how come their stock value is in free fall (6.44 today) ?

20. Petulant Radish

My current LCD is still going strong after five years, when it packs up or I decide to upgrade I still won’t be going for a 3DTV model as I don’t want to pay extra for something that I won’t use.

If there are cheap models available at that time that do not require the glasses then I might consider it. Otherwise I think it’s all bobbins.

21. get2sammyb

Checked out 3D recently and after reading comments from all the sceptics and haters was expecting it to be rubbish. It’s not. It’s amazing. I honestly couldn’t believe how good the image quality is.

Would have bought one there and then if I had the money. Price is still an issue but they are certain to come down.

I definitely think in 3 years time every TV will be 3D compatible. I’d buy the glasses in a heart-beat if I had a compatible TV right now.

22. Robo_1

Just for the record though, I do love 3D tech, and I’m looking forward to seeing it mature. I was genuinely underwhelmed by the demo though. :(

23. DrDamn

If it’s in 3 years time I think it won’t be a matter of choice it will just be a feature your TV has whether you want it or not. Saying “I still won’t be going for a 3DTV model” will be like someone heading off to Currys now for a tv and saying “I still won’t be going for a HDTV model”. They will because it’s all they have.

24. DrDamn

@Robo_1
    There is a lot of variation in the demo material out there – worth looking around if you do have an interest. All the sets I’ve tried out there do show good depth and stuff coming out of the screen – you do have to see the right material on them though.

25. cookiejar

If they come below £1000 in that time, I’ll pick one up. My Bravia will be getting on by then, so I’d be in market for one.

Its all down to price. And for what its worth, I believe the first HDTV’s were way more expensive than current 3DTV’s when they first launched.

26. DrDamn

@Cookiejar
    Samsung LE40C750 is already under £1000 on Amazon (£917).

27. Petulant Radish

@23 it will be a matter of choice, unless you’re going to be buying top of the range of course.

There will always be budget models that don’t have full spec. Just like now all new TV sets are not automatically 1080p, there are still cheaper 720p sets being made and the like.

28. cookiejar

@26 There you go see!

Its not as expensive as people think. Its just because we’ve only recently all bought HDTV’s.

2-3 years time, I think it’ll be surprising how many people do have them.

29. get2sammyb

@22 – was that a Sony demo or another manufacturer? I saw the Sony demo and they showed me MotorStorm and this documentary. To be fair, you could tell the 3D in MotorStorm was an afterthought (while I did still think it was impressive), but it was this documentary I saw that blew me away. They show you this shot looking over the sea and it just looks tangible. It’s incredible. Then they go underwater and all these tiny fish disperse like… Right into your face.

Was watching for about 10 minutes and didn’t have any headache problems. Some of the things you have to adjust for (the sea shot was so deep my eyes had to readjust) but I got used to it pretty quickly.

The Sony glasses are a bit too much like goggles though. I’d prefer more comfortable glasses. I’m sure they are just around the corner.

Like I say though, I came away thinking that this is definitely the future. Really impressed me. I can only imagine what Killzone 3 looks like in 3D.

Again, I’ll probably buy a 3D set next year. Hopefully they’ll be down in price a bit by then. Was very impressed by my demo.

30. DrDamn

Well obviously you will still be able to get shit TVs without it. :-). It’s already in the high end, in three years it will filter down pretty far. Particularly as the stuff that enables 3D is generally good for 2D too.

31. LordCancer

well, I really do not like 3d or ubisoft.

32. theevilaires

I agree. 3D Tvs will become popular but not anytime soon.

33. James Mac

Guess it’s just as well there’s going to be a whole bunch of new consoles released in 2013 as well then… right Ubi?

34. Joe_Gamer

Wow Ubisoft is really smoking the good stuff aren’t they

35. frostquake

HD does not give me Massive Migrianes.
    3D Gives me Massive Migraines.

HD does not make me nausea’s and vomit like a monkey on crack!
    3D does make me nausea’s and vomit like a monkey on crack!

HD does not require me to wear glasses!
    3D REQUIRES me to wear glasses!

ALL DEAL BREAKERS!

36. revolting

The constant comparison with the upgrades from video to DVD and then SD to HD TVs and then DVD to Blurays for those HD TVs that keeps getting thrown about for 3D TV is at best tenuous.

The HD upgrade was an upgrade in image quality, similar to the upgrade from black and white to colour. It places no physical alterations on the user, with no need for glasses, no migranes, no motion sickness, none of the side effects that many experience with 3D. HD offers nothing more revolutionary than a higher level of detail which is retained at large viewing sizes, which anyone with eyes can see with no impact upon themselves. Quality was improved, and became easier to produce, and became the new standard. Not everyone has HD TVs yet, but lots of people do, and certainly if you go to any retailer these days for a new TV, you will have little choice.

3D is not just an improvement in visual quality, though, it’s an altogether different alternative viewing experience. And it simply doesn’t work for everyone. Some enjoy it, yes, but for others, its detrimental to a lot of people’s viewing experience, with all sorts of unfortunate side effects, be they eye strain, headaches, incompatability with glasses, or whatever.

It’s just not as simple as saying “It’s an improvement like HD was, so there’s no point fighting it” because it’s simply not an improvement at all for a substantial portion of consumers. As such it’s unlikely to ever become standard, and much more likely to stay an optional luxury for the minority who want it.

I have no doubt that 3D will be popular, especially when the prices become more accessible and the glasses less inconvenient. But there is a HUGE gap between popular and standard, and as long as the negative side effects are there, that gap won’t be crossed.

37. ninjanutta

@frostcake.how many crack smoking monkeys do you hand around with?3D is brilliant and its here to stay,if it makes you sick then tough shit mate,your going to miss out on some of the best gaming ever made,get used to it people,it wont go away,it reminds me of the PS3 is shit from a year or two ago,look now,its starting to shine.im getting onboard very soon.