RAGE gameplay vids show what all the fuss is about

Friday, 9th July 2010 08:52 GMT By Patrick Garratt

rage6

Everyone’s wanking on about it. “It’s fucking great,” they say. “Better than shagging your mom,” they laugh, showering their pizza with tobacco spit. But you’re not stupid. You’ve been burnt before. You don’t believe them. Can any videogame possibly be better than going balls-deep inside a friend’s middle-aged relation?

On the basis of the movies after the break, apparently so.

The footage shows an electric cross bow, gambling on some kind of holographic shooting game, using remote-controlled vehicles in corridors, indoor and outdoor on-foot combat, vehicular desert combat, corridor enemies jumping up walls, an AK, a semi-auto shotgun, some kind of throwing blade thing and tons more.

The environments are just awesome. You can see why the E3 judges were blown away.

RAGE, developed by id Software, is a post-apocalyptic shooter based on John Carmack’s mega-texture graphics method, which specifically makes “textures” “mega”. It’s out next year for PC, 360 and PS3.

So. “RAGE: better than fucking your mate’s mum.” Stick that on the box.

1. Johnny Cullen

This is the stuff I seen back in France in April.

Fantastic stuff, this is. Brilliant.

2. Blerk

When they say ‘better than shagging your mom’ do they mean ‘your’ mom or their own mom? I feel this is an important distinction when trying to use their description as a means of determining the quality of the game.

3. Blerk

Ah, I missed the line later on which actually clears it up that it’s ‘your friend’s mom’.

Now, the trouble is… last time I shagged a mate’s mum she was rubbish.

4. Blerk

His dad was alright, though.

5. Patrick Garratt

I suppose it all hinges on which friend’s mother you’re having sex with. That’s the flaw in the story, I admit.

6. sickpuppysoftware

That’s some opening to an article

7. Dannybuoy

Just looks like a Bioshock clone to me. I didn’t like Bioshock.

8. Blerk

That looks pretty neat, actually – it reminds me of Borderlands.

Super smooth already, too. Is that the 360 version or the PC version played with a 360 pad?

9. Robo_1

It looks super swish, and at 60fps it’s proof that Carmack hasn’t lost his touch.

Can’t get excited about the gameplay though, it just look like a mashup of Borderlands and Bioshock, two games which didn’t really light my fire.

It’s certainly one to watch though, but I do love my big ass staged set pieces, show me some of them and I’ll be a lot more open to this.

10. Crysis

to me looks like a cross between fallout 3 & borderlands

11. Johnny Cullen

Blerk – for the record, what I seen of it was on 360, but with these videos, I couldn’t tell due to a lack of sleep.

But by the looks of it, PC probably.

12. NGCes26294BIV

I agree with a few people above – It looks like a mash up of other games, and other than the pretty visuals it doesn’t look like it’s bringing much new to the table.

Also, the gameplay looked a bit poor, but that could have been because the person controlling the character in these videos was utter shite.

13. Gheritt White

I’ve added this article to my favourites – best written videogames news post EVAR.

For the record, Pat’s mum isn’t all that. Johnny’s, on the other hand…

14. Magicpocket

If it’s from E3, then it’ll definitely be the 360 version.

id know how to make shooting fun. This will be amazing!

15. DrDamn

Looks nice but not convinced by the actual gameplay. Corridor shooter parts in particular looked convoluted in terms of design layout. Bar a few elements quite dated in gameplay terms. Shooting seemed to be the usual id face off whilst backing up / strafing. Would like to see more about how it all hangs together mind.

16. Bulk Slash

@15 Yeah the AI did look quite weak in the corridor bits. The enemies just keep running towards you waiting for you to shoot them.

The graphics look nice and I’ve really enjoyed every FPS id have ever released (including Doom 3 which I think is underrated), so I’m definitely buying this day one.

17. Blerk

One thing that dig irk a bit in the first video was that there only appeared to be one voice actor for everyone in the entire sequence.

18. Shalashaska

Still dont get what all the fuss is about. Like already stated, looks very similar to Borderlands. Not excited about this at all.

19. Dralen

That is one very impressive engine. Quite amazed how they have managed to keep fantastic graphics and smooth framerates, even in the most hectic scenes AND in an open-world.

20. JPickford

What’s supposed to be so special? Looks like Borderlands with a less interesting visual style.

21. The_Red

Graphics look good but seriously, am I the only one who feels the gameplay is insanely generic? The corridor / mission parts are specially on par with an average FPS from last decade.

22. Syrok

“The corridor / mission parts are specially on par with an average FPS from last decade.”

It’s on par with every first person shooter ever made, even last weeks shooter. I bet you still can’t vault over small boxes or climb anything higher than your waist (which doesn’t exist of course since you play as a flying camera with stiff arms attached to it.)

23. Droid

There’s no way that’s for pc. Either that or the person can’t aim for shit, and has never played on pc before. I’m with you the_red, looks like a normal shooter with nothing extra to spice up life. Yet another game getting over-hyped before release. We shall see.

24. fdelfino

Awesome. Will have to get a GeForce 250GTX for this one.

25. Blerk

The HUD shows 360 button icons at one point, so I was surmising it was either the 360 version or someone playing the PC version with a pad.

26. Droid

@25 Ah yeah could be. Bit pointless when you have a mouse though, unless you’re a die hard consolaholic. While the grphx are pretty it’s just a mix of borderlands and fallout 3. If you’ve already played those 2, why would you buy this?

27. DeSpiritusBellum

Apart from the neat gadgets it looks horribly similar to Borderlands.

1) Shanty towns
    2) Deployable turrets
    3) Nitro-boosting machinegun buggies
    4) Horrible sound design (The AK47 sounds like someone running their nails down a chalkboard)
    5) Big fat empty wastelands
    6) Deformed freaks
    7) Dark bunker-style interiors

Maybe with a bit of Bioshock thrown in there for the electricity/water combo.

I’m still hoping id will pull it off in the end, but from those videos I feel like that game has been out for a while.

28. Dralen

The critics obviously believed it is something special, so I am still keeping my eyes on it. I’m also a sucker for pretty graphics.

29. fdelfino

The only advantage of plugging in a gamepad on your pc is the possibility of playing the game lying in your bed/sofa.

30. DeSpiritusBellum

@28 It’s called a preview. Basically if you slam a game before it’s out, you’re absolutely done with access to that publisher/developer, for good.

Thus previews never criticize. Sadly a lot of games get sold on that account, but that’s just another reason why you shouldn’t take it too seriously.

31. DaMan

that looks as fun as the Direct3D demo samples.

32. endgame

“it just look like a mashup of Borderlands and Bioshock, two games which didn’t really light my fire” LOL!

33. Blerk

I believe the answer to the “why would you buy this if it looks just like Borderlands and Fallout 3?” question is simply “because I really liked those games”.

34. LOLshock94

they shagged ur mum VG

35. LOLshock94

even if it does look a little like a borderlands its going to be nothing like borderlands and its defo going to be better coz BL is pretty shit

36. freedoms_stain

Rage has had my interest since I 1st saw previews.

It has a similar setting to Borderlands, fair enough, but Borderlands had plenty of room for improvement imo, and it’s not as if there’s a 1 game per type of setting per year rule or anything.

37. YoungZer0

Hope the story is interesting, otherwise i see no reason to play it.

38. ShiroGamer

Regardless of the unnecessary lines at the begining
    the footage looks fantastic !
    I really cant wait

39. Crysis

just noticed “Better than shagging your mom,”, wasn’t it previously “…your m8s mum?” :P
    anyway, yes i did mention it looks like a mash between borderlands & fallout 3, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s ‘bad’, but has been done before.
    i do hope it brings something else to the table, looks ‘good’ so far, but noone wants to pay full price for a ‘good’ game, we all want a GREAT game, so i’ll be keeping an eye on this game & see if it can bring something new & worthwhile

40. Filofax

@37 So if the game plays fantastically but has a shite story, you’ll give it a miss? @35 Borderlands was a great new IP, so if this is anywhere as good its going to be amazing.

41. YoungZer0

@40: Yes. That’s exactly what I’m saying. Story is a huge motivator for me. The gameplay looks more than Generic. So generic in fact that they shouldn’t call it RAGE but GENERIC. I can except generic gameplay if the story drives me forward.

The gameplay could be superb, if there is no story, i’m not motivated. That’s why i stopped playing Borderlands, though i enjoyed the gameplay.

I asked myself: What’s the point?

42. Filofax

@41 Well each to their own. I’m the exact opposite, most games have really piss poor stories but its the gameplay that drives me forward. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice when the game has a good narrative, but it plays second fiddle to the game being fun to play.

43. _LarZen_

If you ask me this look’s like 1000 of other fps games out there.

Not blown away in any way.

44. Gadzooks!

That’s just looking fantastic. Smooth as butter with great lighting, open world, driving and destructability.

It is giving off a Borderlands vibe and that fine by me as Borderlands is simply brilliant.

45. Dr.Freeman

One thing is bad about Rage is that u won’t enjoy any game after it.