Sony last to next gen, pub expects new hardware in “2-3 years”

Thursday, 8th July 2010 18:38 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps4

Sony dev head Shuhei Yoshida’s said he expects both Nintendo and Microsoft to release new hardware before PlayStation makes the leap the next generation, while Ubisoft today agreed with the increasingly popular view that you’re going to see a new kid on the block before 2013.

“In my opinion, Microsoft will make the first move,” Yoshida told Develop at E3.

“Or, because Nintendo’s approach was not to upgrade much on its basic hardware – Wii doesn’t even support HD resolution – so they might be the first to move.

“Probably we should watch these companies, in my opinion. Because PS3 was later than Xbox, and is more powerful, so it has a longer lifespan.”

Arm the nukes – you are not prepared

Ubisoft added fuel to the next gen’s fire today, saying it expects new hardware to be on the market by 2013.

Talking about the state of trade at the end of this year, Ubi UK marketing boss Murray Pannel told Eurogamer at a British event yesterday that he believes those shiny new boxes are closer than many think.

“The new hardware, if it’s not new platforms coming, the things like Move, Kinect, 3DS, these will all reinvigorate the market, and I do see in the next 12 month if not growth then stabilisation before what I assume to be a new transition into new consoles probably in the next two to three years,” he said.

Pannel added a caveat, though, saying there was still “life” in the current gen.

“I genuinely think games can get better,” he said. “Experiences can get more rich and varied, and the new platforms, Kinect and Move, can help enhance that, certainly.”

Back-room chatter

Todays comments solidify back-room talk at E3 this year, which showed a popular opinion of Microsoft moving before Sony with its next box, probably looking at a 2012 reveal and a 2013 launch.

There’s even been talk of Microsoft next gen tech specs being out in the wild. But that’s not for now, sweetheart.

Sony has consistently said it’s looking at a 10-year cycle for PS3, which launched in 2006.

Microsoft released Xbox 360 in 2005. The recently departed boss of the console, Robbie Back, called Kinect a “mid-life kicker” before exiting stage left earlier this year.

[Pic]

1. Happy Hardon Harry

I’m already on next gen hardware, it’s called a PC!

2. f1r3storm

Hope it takes at least five years.

3. Patrick Garratt

It depends how Kinect works out, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we saw a new MS box in 2013.

4. cookiejar

I think Move and Kinect are a test bed. If they boost sales of current hardware then great. If they don’t, I reckon we’ll hear mumblings of new systems even sooner.

5. Robo_1

Yeah, I imagine we’ll hear some serious chatter about next gen in 2012, with lots of handheld news in the middle to keep us interested.

6. Bulk Slash

“Because PS3 was later than Xbox, and is more powerful, so it has a longer lifespan”

More like they’ve only just started seeing a small profit on the hardware so there’s no way they will release a new system until they’ve had time to make some money from the current one.

7. Dannybuoy

I’m up for whatever whenever. They can all do what they like. I know I’m enjoying the present gen but I’m a gadget fiend so I’ll buy a new system when it’s released

8. Nico23

ok then ill stick to the ps3 till then.

9. revsoul

Man, I’m just getting in a zone with my consoles. I am not tired of them yet.

I don’t want to even think about a new system. Too many games to play right now and even more on the horizon.

2-3 years is too soon for a new Playstation, but maybe ok for a new Xbox

10. El_MUERkO

Microsoft are going to be looking for wins after disappointing recent and future product launches so I’m going to bet on an E3 announcement in 2011.

11. OlderGamer

I felt the same way last gen. Like the then systems were pushed out of the way in favor of Microtransactions and super online stores(from movies to games to addons etc).

I was happy with my xboxone. The PS2 looked a bit dated, but wasn’t horrible. In some ways the last gen systems offered us more. I had a lot fo xbox games were we played split screen 4 player(and then took it online w/split screen to boot). A game was a game. It wasn’t 70% of the product with 30% locked out for future “dlc”. The JP still made good games, now they are all in love with handhelds!! PSP/DS remakes anyone?

I don’t know, call me crazy, but it seems to me that the only ones that benifited from moving to last gen into this gen was the hardware guys behind it.

I don’t think they are in any rush to move away from their biz models right now. MS is making a killing, Nintendo can’t keep hardware on the shelf, and Sony is just now showing a profit. Only real way I see us moving into a next gen is if someone MS/Sony/Nintendo all of a sudden stop moving the current hardware line up.

If PS3 starts killing xb360(and it isn’t), then I see MS looking to make the leap. If the floor falls out of the Wii(and it hasn’t), I can see Nintendo redoing the Wii w/upgraded hardware in fluu HD, HDD storage, and more focus Online. I can’t swee Sony being interested in going forwrd unless either of the above happen AND said system starts flying off of the shelf taken with it too many devs from the PS3.

I think the games industry has us right where they want us and they don’t want to change that if they don’t have to.

12. theevilaires

Meh I trust SONY. They know what they are doing. HDMI,built in wifi and blu-ray from the start proved that…..just look at the xbox360 in 2005 and look at the new xbox today.

SONY are pioneers. Don’t any of you forget that.

13. Galactic_Barret

Half-truths is still the truth, right?

Wii also had Wi-Fi, but Sony did ‘pioneer’ with BD and console HDMI (1.3?).

14. Gadzooks!

I dont think current gen systems are feeling old just yet. I still see a constant increase in game quality and there is plenty on the horizon to be excited about.

Having said that I do like my tech so would jump at a new xbox. I can see backward compatibility breathing new life into many current gen titles.

I only bought a PS3 late last year and dont really use it all that much so wouldnt want a replacement for quite a few years.

Not sure I would buy the Wii successor though to be honest. I enjoyed my Wii for the year or so I owned it (and didnt care one bit that it wasnt HD) but purely as a local multiplayer machine. The single player content did nothing for me unfortunately, and no downloadable demos combined with exceptionally hit-and-miss game quality kinda killed any entheusiasm I had for trying new games on it.

I think #11 nailed it though, MS and Ninty are making stupid amounts of cash right now so wont want to move on, and Sony can’t afford to move on so were probably a few years off new machines.

15. Galactic_Barret

Is MS really making ‘stupid’ amounts of cash? Nintendo, of course, but I haven’t really heard of the gaming division being super profitable.

Then again, I wasn’t really looking, but I would still like to know the info.

16. Gadzooks!

Yeah, that’s some pretty crazy money right there. :)

17. theevilaires

Gadzooks! said: I only bought a PS3 late last year and dont really use it all

HA! spoken like a true XBOT. Who buys a new PS3 and don’t use it. Blu-ray, UC2, free online play, and multimedia functions out the ass….yea thanks for showing your true colors today.

You’re finally out of your denial. Congrats!…Thats your new name. Congratz!

18. LOLshock94

ps3 myt be a lil bit powerfuler then xbox but its retarded how most ps3 games are cheap ports on xbox

19. OlderGamer

Tea my man chill. I don’t use my PS3 much either. I read that alot. People say “sure I have a PS3, but I use xb360″.

And what you call pioneers, I call foolish. Sony spent, and lost a lot of cash with the PS3. Sure they are making cash on it now, but they have a lot of lost revenue to make back. I think MS had the right idea this gen. Make it cheaper, programable, focus it online, offer movies, TV, Arcade games(everyone having a demo), full retail games(to download), friends lists, xross game chat, free headset in every box. The list goes on and on. I think MS did a lot of stuff right.

I am not going to get drawn into a fanboy spat w/you. I honestly respect you. When your not being a Sony Tool, you have a lot to offer. Your intelegent, you give a damn about people here, your funny, and so on. But dude, for christ sake give it a rest ok?

You don’t own Sony stock. Your not heavily invested beyond games and hardware. Your not on their payroll. You didn’t make the damn hardware or design it. It just gets old. You can’t go around shouting xbot all of the time. It undermines every intelegent thing you have ever posted.

So you like Sony, so some one else doesn’t. Not that big of a deal.

20. OlderGamer

It was the same way last gen. Only going in the other direction, twice.

First the Dreamcast was infintly more powerful then the PSone, yet was saddeled with quick and cheap ports from the Sony system.

Then along comes the Xbox, better online, more power yada yada, and it get riddled with poorly done PS2 ports.

Games are always made for the lowest common denominator. Companies don’t care about maintaining quality or maximizing this system or that. They just want to get their game across as many platforms as they can to maximize their potental sales.

21. cookiejar

@19 I agree with you somewhat there about Sony dropping the ball on the software built into PS3. Extremely basic features that weren’t there at launch, and some even still aren’t today. Having said that though, Microsoft are a software company, and having those in Xbox 360 was second nature to them.

Flip it the other way around, and look at Microsoft’s hardware efforts compared to Sony’s. Pretty bloody horrific, really. On that side of things, Sony are a hardware company, have been for 60+ years, so you would expect a solid piece of kit, which PS3 is.

Personally, I like both. My PS3 gets more play these days, but the 360 gets a boot for Halo or Fable now and then. Microsoft let me down hardware wise ( went through 3 in 18 months) so it’s left a sour taste in my mouth.

22. ExclusivesMostly

PS3 is future proof so ofcourse we’ll see MS or Nitendo put out a new console before Sony. The inclusion of BD technology, Awesome first party titles, included wifi, multimedia functionality, incredible Raw power for a console etc. will ensure that the PS3 will even rival the next systems the competion puts out. At that time the PS3 will be uber cheap compared to them as well and that’s really when I think the PS3 will peak in terms of Graphics. Just look at PS2 for proof.

23. OlderGamer

Oh I agree with ya Cookie. Really I do. PS3 is a damn nice system. And what happend to the xbox360 in terms of RRoD was amazingly horrible. No excuse for such a thing. I think you could have bought ten xb360 during the first 18months and had a near 8/10 failure.

I would like to point out that I remember helping a friend open his first Microplay when the Playstation launched. Within a week of that launch we had a line of systems turned upside down. They would only run upside down. They worked almost perfectly, it was the only way they would read those CDs. Strange as it was. When we tried to get Sony to own up the problem they denied it. They charged us 250usd to fix em(when you added in shipping – we were in Alaska at the time). Eventualy Sony changed the system design, denied the whole thing, and life went on. But if you bought a system at launch in NA, it most likly broke. How fast depended on how much and how often you used it.

Remember blowing on NES carts? Me too.

I guess my point is that hardware goes wrong. Esp early on in its lifecycle. Most of those troubles get ironed out after the first couple of production runs. It is why to some degree, we take a greater risk buying new hardware then we would if we waited and watched how things paned out.

I am amazed that we don’t have more hardware troubles across the board. These things are made at the absolute cheapest possible price. Most of them in China no less, and we all know the quality craftmenship they are noted for.

Neither company is perfect, neither system is either. So yea, we are prolly saying the same type of things.

24. Gadzooks!

- User is ignoring you -

Get used to that, when the ignore button arrives it’s your future.

25. Blerk

But TEA, you bought a 360 last year and don’t use it! :-D

26. Crysis

i’ve got a dozen games on my ps3, but i normally end up playing an old(ish) pc rts game (dawn of war series) is there something wrong with me? :P

27. Gheritt White

I reckon MS will probably have to seriously consider continuing with consoles *at all* given how badly Kinect is expected to FLOP.

28. Joe_Gamer

everyone makes a big deal on the money Sony lost on the hardware, the hardware is NOT the money maker. They are happy to sell you the hardware at a loss so they can make money on the software. Console makers get around 25% of every game sold, that adds up to around a metric shit-ton of cash. The problem Sony had with the PS3 in the early days was not enough software, they could really care less about taking a loss on the hardware. MS dumped millions on exclusives, was easier to develop for(being basically a cut rate PC) was out first and was cheaper so they stole the software show and ran away with all the money. Nintendo beat the shit out of everyone by being cheapest, most kid/girl/grandma friendly and selling buttloads of first party software which they get 100% of the profits from.