Guild Wars 2: Defeat is an experience, not a punishment

Thursday, 8th July 2010 19:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

guildwars 2

ArenaNet’s Jon Peters, one of the game designers on Guild Wars 2, has posted an update on the game’s official blog with new details surrounding death and healing for the MMO.

In Guild Wars 2, the death system allows you to go into a downed state instead of dying. In this state, your character only possess four skills to take down the enemy before the consciousness meter is depleted.

Should you dispatch your enemy in time, you can get back up and resume the game as normal. It’s sort of like Zero hit points system in D&D where a character is not dead yet, but should they roll high enough on a save, gets back up but takes a negative-2 all rolls and half movement.

This new system for Guild War 2 also means should the inevitable death happen, any class can revive you, or you can instead revive at the nearest spawn point for a fee.

There are no “healer classes” in Guild Wars 2, as each player must heal themselves.  Same goes for tank and DPS classes because each class has the ability to play different roles.

While a classless system may sound a bit strange, ArenaNet does not want players to “value one profession over the other”,  thus making it easier to form a group.

“You could say instead of DPS/heal/tank, we have our own trinity of damage, support, and control, but we prefer to think of them as the variety of elements that create a diverse and dynamic combat system that gives each player a toolbox to work with to solve any encounter we might throw their way,” wrote Peters.

“If that sounds like the kind of combat you are interested in, Guild Wars 2 is going to be a great place for you and your friends to fight together for many years to come”.

It all sounds rather interesting, and Peters’ blog post is a must-read if you’re thinking of playing the game.

GW2 is slated for 2011, with a Beta expected sometime this year.

New screens from the game are below.

1. unacomn

So it’s like the second wind in Borderlands.
    I used to love charging into a pile of enemies and shooting the exploding barrel next to them. We all died, but I instantly came back to life.

2. OlderGamer

Interesting.

It is is either this or LoTR Online for me. Maybe both.

3. Stephany Nunneley

If you decide to play LOTRO when it goes FTP, hit me up and we’ll do some questing together.

4. OlderGamer

@ Steph sounds like a plan to me. I just spent yesterday DL the 10day free trial client. Been tinkering with it, I like the Minstrel. Looks and feels a lot more like WoW then I would have guessed. I like it.

I am trying to talk my kids into joining me this fall. Could be a lot of fun, and having someone from VG247 to game with would be great!

5. endgame

wow. have u ppl read that? again anet team simply shines compared to all other mmo developers out there (well, maybe except for bioware). but seriously, what they r doing with gw2, is un****ing believable. gw1 had groundbreaking pvp. pvp that no one else could come even close to replicate. and now they will have groundbreaking everything. and above everything else, unlike all those fucking leeches out there (yes I’m talking about Blizzard 1st of all) they won’t ask for a monthly subscription because they know just as any smart mmo player knows that those r stolen money. and anet always put their customer first. i know. I’ve been playing gw1 for 3 years. been banned once. and I totally deserved that.. anyway ty for the news Steph and ty for what u’r doing again Anet. u guys r the living ****. cheers.

6. Stephany Nunneley

@5 GW2 sounds lovely indeed, and hopefully i will time to play it between bouts in Middle-earth and trying to retake the holy planet of Korriban :D

7. Samuel

GW2 is sounding better and better all the time. I played the hell out of the first one and loved every minute of it, and this one only looks to be even better. This was pretty much a guaranteed release day purchase for me, no matter what they said about it. For those on the fence, what more do you need to know than there’s no monthly fee?

8. endgame

Samuel some of them r, kind of like my brother. He’s still playing Counter-Strike… I think they r unable to adapt to change. They r afraid of it. So what better reason to cope with that rather than to keep playing the same thing!? :)

9. Egon Superb

Is LOTRO going F2P in EU as well, or just US?