BioWare has confirmed that Dragon Age 2 will release in March 2011.
The sequel charts the rise to power of Hawke, a survivor of the Blight.
Platforms are now confirmed as 360, PS3 and PC.
BioWare boss Ray Muzyka said today that the original Dragon Age “was one of the most successful in BioWare’s 15-year history and one of the most successful new IP launches in the 28 year history of EA.”
Executive producer Mark Darrah added that the developer is “amplifying the things that made Dragon Age: Origins such a huge success while introducing a more dynamic combat system, improving the graphics, and telling the most important story in our world.”
Dragon Age 2’s story will last ten years of game time, and set that player as Hawke, “a penniless refugee who rises to power to become the single most important character in the world of Dragon Age.”
BioWare promised today that “the way you play will write the story of how the world is changed forever.”
It’s been a good day for BioWare fans indeed: GI earlier showed Dragon Age 2 as the cover for its next issue, to which EA confirmed that the RPG sequel’s first trailer will be shown during its gamescom press conference next month.
First concept art has been released, as you can see below.
GI mentioned that the game takes place in “a different part of the world” of Ferelden, and includes “a ton of surprising improvements that will shed even more light on the lore of the Dragon Age universe.”
The details were backed up by the following from the game’s official site, giving first bits on plot and confirming a new visual style:
Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.
- Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
- Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
- Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
- Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
- Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.
Pretty awesome, si?
It’s been all dragon, all day. It was spotted this morning that BioWare was set to announce the sequel, just as the developer teased on Twitter that it would be “a great day for BioWare fans.”
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.