Ubisoft confirms PS Move support for R.U.S.E., no Kinect intergration planned

Wednesday, 7th July 2010 14:27 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ruse

Ubisoft’s announced R.U.S.E. will be compatible with PlayStation Move.

Showing off the controller during a hands-on in London, the motion controller allows you to select units, construct buildings and have control over the camera.

Also mentioned,was when you select an area on the map, if you aim the controller down, you can zoom in on it. Pointing it up zooms the camera out.

However, for any 360 owners thinking of the same support with Kinect, bad news for you – there isn’t.

“I wasn’t sure if it was just going to be a gadget, but it turns out it’s a very cool and natural controller. We’re very excited about it,” producer Mathieu Girard told Eurogamer, where he also said the tech was added into the game “four or five weeks” ago.

Girard insisted further, though, the mouse and keyboard provide “the most efficient” experience there is for the title.

R.U.S.E. releases on September 7 and 17 in the US and UK, respectively, for PS3, 360 and PC.

We’re still waiting on that July 15 “surprise”.

1. Blerk

Microsoft are definitely going to regret not having a pointy stick. Unless neither of them take off, of course.

2. theevilaires

MOVE is already on the….move of becoming a must have for most games. Good job Ubi!

3. Blerk

This is pretty much the only type of game where I can see the motion controllers properly boosting the experience. The Wii games where it works best are the ones where it’s used as a pointer – I love the Wii version of World of Goo, for instance.

4. Whizzo

I would have thought RUSE would have been a perfect fit for Kinect as they had Microsoft Surface playing the game.

5. Robo_1

From what I’m hearing, Kinect was left out of R.U.S.E because of the sitting limitation!

Sony seem to have done a good job with getting devs the right tools they need for Move. This new approach of getting their first party studios involved with the hardware seems to be paying off.

6. ExclusivesMostly

@Blerk: I’ll be using PS Move with KZ3, etc. along with the Navigation controller ofcourse.

7. theevilaires

Yup me too Exclusive. SOCOM looks great using it also. Can’t wait for MOVE man.

8. Blerk

I suppose that’s sort of using it as a pointer. I’m not really interested in that aspect, though – shooters work fine on a pad. Games which don’t work very well on a pad but do with a pointer…. much more interesting.

9. Robo_1

Yeah, I agree they should use Move primarily for games which you could only really do with a motion based controller. That said, to this day I still fire up the original Red Steel game, because that feeling of holding the gun, and your hand motions being mapped to it made the actual shooting a lot more satisfying than simply flipping an analogue stick.

Nobody would be happier if Move became a standard control option with all games which could practically be fashioned to work with it.

10. NiceFellow

It’s pretty clear that Sony were hoping that Move, being build on the Wii which showed that having a pointer with buttons and a directional controller could support most genres, would get decent support.

Kinect is quite different, and I think MS themselves are going to have to commission or push titles specifically for it whereas Sony are likely to pick up more support “for free” as it were.

11. cookiejar

@10 Totally. I can see a lot of Wii titles, or Wii sequels, being beefed up and released on PS3.

Red Steel 3 I would imagine could do fairly well with Move.

12. xmaster dosx

i dont get how it wouldnt work on Kinect when all you have to use is your hands. i dont see why any RTS wouldnt transfer over. yea its not better than a mouse and keyboard buts its something

13. Gekidami

The guy in that video is still interacting with something so the game moves when he wants it to move. How would you feel if the camera suddenly started to move around because you lowered your arm to scratch your arse?

14. OlderGamer

At this point I can’t see Kinect competing w/Move to be honest.

I think both are just about worthless, but ‘eh thats me. The game that really stands out in my mind as “Fun” to actualy play on the Wii was Alien Syndrome. The game was bad, yes, but the controls were fun. Move with an anolog thumb stick, then point and shoot with the Mote. Geomatry Wars on the Wii used the same type of thing. It works amazingly well. And Move should be able to copy it, and maybe even improve on it.

Games done like that are the ones that may actualy have a chance with Core gamers on Move. I don’t see how Kinect can offer the same experience. Because, party games, mini games, match three shapes/colors, point and click, interact with the fluffy cute animal, are going to get old fast.

15. xmaster dosx

@13 im not tyring to be a fan boy here im just try to be a glass is half full kinda guy. i mean lets hope the tech is good enough to were when you do move to scratch your ass it doesnt make the game go to hell. i guess what im trying to say is that multitouch RTS’s are becoming more of an thing now. and making a interface that works with kinect might be a good thing.