Microsoft: Crytek’s Kingdoms in development “for a while”

Wednesday, 7th July 2010 16:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

cryteklogoa

Microsoft Games Studios boss Phil Spencer has told OXM the Xbox 360 exclusive from Crytek, Codename: Kingdoms, has been in development “for a while.”

Spencer stated the idea behind Kingdoms, which looks to be set in gladiatorial times, wouldn’t suit other consoles as it’s “unique to what [Xbox is] as a platform.”

“Cervat [Yerli], the head of Crytek, I probably met him for the first time at GDC four of five years ago,” he said.  “We’d try to find ways to work together, but as a publisher I want to work with independent developers when it’s a relationship I know would be strong and symbiotic.

“If they have ideas that they think and we think are better for third-party publishers, I’m actually happy to have success on our platform with those games.

“They’re just such a top-tier developer. Graphically, they’re on a par with anybody else in the industry – and I think it’s a great addition to our line-up.”

Codename: Kingdom was announced during Microsoft’s E3 presser as a 360 exclusive, adding Crytek to the Microsoft Game Studios partners scheme in the process.

Currently, Crytek is developing Crysis 2 for Xbox 360, PC and PS3 for an autumn release.

1. Gekidami

But not long enought for them to actually have anything showable for E3?

2. NGCes26294BIV

@1 My thoughts exactly.

3. Petulant Radish

Much like Agent, why haven’t we seen anything of that yet aside from a logo over a year ago?

AS for this, I want feckin details! At least we know what Agent is, this we have no real idea aside from a possible era and a Spartacus: Blood & Sand rip off trailer.

4. Lucky

gamescom, believe

5. daytripper

just hope its not a god of war style mashing buttons game, gow3 was impressive but got tedious

6. Gekidami

Apparently its “Unique to what Xbox is as a platform.” Must be a FPS…

7. NiceFellow

Simply not enough info to decide if this interesting or not.

8. No_PUDding

Gekidami, where did you snag that piece of PR gold from?

Roughly translated it stands:

“I didn’t even know we’d finalised that deal yet.”

It was the same with Agent.

9. xmaster dosx

@6 lmao ah soooo true

10. Amored

Could be some sort of awesome online-component in the game…