Kotick would like more PCs hooked up to TV sets

Tuesday, 6th July 2010 21:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

tvpchookup

Bobby Kotick has told the Financial Times he would like to see gamer-friendly PCs plugged into television sets.

According to Kotick, Activision plans to “very aggressively” support Dell and Hewlett Packard’s plan to connect PCs to TVs, in order to “broaden our audiences” by using other devices.

The CEO also mentioned his excitement over Kinect, which he hopes will revive the peripheral market, its “physical interfaces”, and voice-controlled gaming.

“You’re going to see a tremendous amount of innovation in audio,” he said. “Voice recognition is something people haven’t really thought about from a user interface perspective.”

During the same interview, Kotick told the FT that he wasn’t happy with the current business model of services like Xbox Live, stating that Activision would like to “provide much more value” to the millions of players on Live, but “it’s not our network”.

Thanks, BigDownload.

[pic]

1. cookiejar

Why don’t I just set up a direct debit straight from my account to Activision’s and be done with it.

2. DeSpiritusBellum

I don’t get it. Who wins because we hook up our computers to tvs?

3. loki

We would like more good console games, not cheap PC ports

4. Gekidami

No one really. Kotick just wants the PC crowd back in his pocket after the MW2 mess. And theres nothing PC gamers love more then flattery.
    Meanwhile he’ll be busy counting all of the money he makes off the console versions of the upcoming CoD games.

5. AHA-Lambda

GFWL response

then again at least activision actually bother putting games out on pc -_-

6. Erthazus

Great gaming laptop connected to TV is the best way for gaming + you can take it where you want.

Laptop is powerefull, you have all backwards compatibility, all services, EVERYTHING.

+ when in the future you can upgrade laptop as your PC than it’s going to be a perfect thing for gaming. PERFECT.

7. Stephany Nunneley

@6 I love hooking my laptop up to my HD TV. Middle-earth looks lovely when I do. So does Borderlands.

8. cookiejar

It seems like they want more control of their content, want to get the benefit of Live and PSN but without entering the console business itself.

I could see them going totally mad and pairing with some hardware company and making a PC based system you plug into the TV and play Acti stuff on.

9. Erthazus

@7 Yeah, me too. But i have a standard PC, because i can upgrade it. Thats the only thing that i don’t like about Laptops (except that you can take it)

Crysis looked fantastic, maybe in the future i will play MMO’s only on my big telly :)

10. Grimrita

@ 5 I’d rather them not bother if its just going to be a shoddy console port. Then they can blame ‘poor sales’ on the pirates

I can connect my desktop PC to my tv if I wish, and I do when my friends are over and play some Streetfighter or Race Driver: GRID for example.

11. Erthazus

@10 “Face facts Kotick , if you want the PC dollar, focus on quality PC titles instead of shoddy ‘Call of Duty’ ports.

Well, you are a little bit wrong here. Diablo 3, Starcraft II and World Of Warcraft with new Blizzard announcement is just what makes a PC gaming now and 70% of his revenue is from PC gaming (WOW).

Bobby Kotick have a really big power in his hands. OR… He have almost everything in his hands.

12. Happy Hardon Harry

How does it feel to play your games i.e. Oblivion, Bioshock, Batman AA, GRiD, DiRT 2, Mass Effect, The Orange Box, etc at 30fps and sub-HD. lol

13. Happy Hardon Harry

MW3 PC exclusive! You heard it here first folks. lol

14. Grimrita

@ 11 ah but those titles were BK – before kotick. Blizzard are a PC only developer and a very successful one at that and after the recent announcement about users having to use their real names, lets see how that pans out.

I foresee alot of users getting prepay credit card with Mickey Mouse as their name! lol

15. itwa5medicks

If it wasnt for his company’s COD series, no one in the world would give a slightest clue what this guy says. All he make me want to do is tell people to not buy activision games.

16. itwa5medicks

btw what does 4 year old news have to anything? TV’s have had vga access since 2005-2006. The only thing people use them for is watching movies as 95% of most laptops bought can’t play videogames. At least no games that are ps3 quality.

17. itwa5medicks

Not to mention anyone see how ugly this kotick is?

Who cares what he says?

The dude is hideous.

18. Crysis

just curious, does Microsoft see any of the money made from pc games (excludiding Games For Windows Live)

19. Phoenixblight

Unless published by them. No not at all. Its why they moved to console to have control over what comes in and what goes out.

20. Gadzooks!

“Kotick would like more PCs hooked up to TV sets”

Public would like more Koticks hooked up to nooses.

21. LOLshock94

to all laptop gamers could someone tell what games i can play with a vaio laptop???

22. LarsWestergren

Depends what model of Vaio and how long you bought it I guess? Download some demos of games that interest you, and you should be able to figure out what plays smoothly and what doesn’t.

If you have a real low-spec PC, you might be interested in this thread on Rock, Paper, Shotgun:

23. OlderGamer

I’m just gonna slap on here what i said in the sce new hardware thread.

“The furture of the console is a PC. Well, a laptop anyways. Plug it into a TV via HDMI. Take it with you on the go or just into the other room. USB controlers. Plays like a portable home console.

Always BC. Open OS. One simplified platform. Upgradable power. Cost effective. Wide variety of games.

Possibly lead by Steam, cloud, or something like that. Games tied into your account, no more dust collecting boxes for your wife to nag you to get rid of.

I think that is the future of the home console, small, powerful laptop/notebook sized PCs.”

Because at some point I believe this will happen. No doubt about it. The current system doesn’t benifit gamers. It doesn’t benifit the folks that make the games or publish them. It only benifits the ones that hold the systems. Only MS, Nintendo, and Sony.

As it is I already play on my PC a hella lot more then I did when I first started visiting this site. A couple of you guys have asked me why they don’t see me logged into Live/PSN much. I am gaming on my PC. I am very happy with it.

I think if more folks had the chance to play the same set up that I do, they would look at their xb360/PS3 systems a bit differently. Netflix, xbla/psn games, and music games are about all I turn the consoles on for anymore.

24. OlderGamer

I hate to endorse this but I know for a fact that Onlive will run on almost anything. I tested it on a few different PCs I own. Including two that are so out of date they don’t get used anymore.

Onlive worked. I don’t know if that is an option for you. You must have a solid isp. I just own standard Time Warrner Cable(USA), nothing fancy or ubber and Onlive ran smooth as glass while netflix and WOW were also running in the same house. It works, Onlive does.

But its new the game selection is limited, borderlands to Ass’ns Creed II to Batman Assylem to Lego Harry Potter to Dirt II and of course more. But just a few more not hundreds of games. One monthly fee, you can demo everything b4 you buy, then you can buy time to play or the unrestricted acsess.

For someone with a low end PC it could solve some trouble and get you playing higher end games.

For me it doesn’t make sense. Steam makes more sense.

Food for thought as it is.

25. Phoenixblight

While that is true small problem with it. It doesn’t work with Wifi so your comp, laptop whatever has to be physically connected to a modem. This will end up hurting it in the long wrong along with the 3 year license for the games you purchase.

26. OlderGamer

Good point I forgot about that. I run everything cabled in if I can – much better connect speeds. Yea no WiFi could hurt Onlive.

-but to be honest I am not impressed with the biz model of Onlive. Just too much money for games that you never truely own, imo. That being said it does work well – so long as you have a cord to conect with ;)

27. Phoenixblight

Agreed. If they did Steam sales with games being 10$ and such I would easily jump onto it especially since I have a year free from sub.