Bulletstorm devs indifferent to graphical prowess

Saturday, 3rd July 2010 22:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

bulletstorm

People Can Fly founder Adrian Chmielarz has said he doesn’t care much about super-duper game graphics, as he’s more concerned with taking players on “an adventure”.

Speaking with CVG, the Bulletstorm dev said if players feel the game looks better than another, that’s still fine though.

“The thing is, we really do not care that much,” said Chmielarz. “When you take a look at the visual quality of Gears – the density of detail, so to speak – in my opinion, it kills Modern Warfare easily. But, Modern Warfare is 60 frames-per-second, and composition of the scene in Modern Warfare is really, really good. It’s excellent.

“I think right now so long as the game has a minimum level of quality, which is for us and everyone who wants to matter in this business is really high, do players really care? Seriously, if it really looks good, do we need to join race?

“If people say our game looks better than another game, we will be happy, but that’s not our goal. We just want to invite you on an adventure.”

You can watch the latest walkthrough video for the game, with Cliff Bleszinski through here.

Bulletstorm is out on February 22 for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Erthazus

Maybe he don’t care, but apparently it’s the best UE3 looking game in my opinion, some of the parts are incredible even to this engine.

2. Stephany Nunneley

It does look good. I mean, I know he is really just saying they are not “striving” to make it “OMG grafix pwn in BS FTW!!!” and if it happens it happens, but damn it looks mighty nice.

3. Callum

Good! I get so sick of these elitist gamers that will shun a game because it doesn’t do this or it doesn’t have that when it comes to graphics. Gameplay gameplay gameplay is what the devs should worry about, and then the consumers will follow.

4. Moonwalker1982

It would be impossible not to notice these amazing visuals, but the gameplay itself looks very very fun as well. Definitely looking forward to this one.

5. Dannybuoy

Lazy

6. Robo_1

I agree with what he’s saying, and Bulletstorm looks top, but I could swear the devs were shouting off about how their game was going to be a leading graphical powerhouse a few months back.

7. Anaron

They may be indifferent to graphical prowess but I must say, the graphics for Bulletstorm look amazing. It’s using the latest version of Unreal Engine 3 with a slew of features that make it look awesome. Seriously, watch the walk-through video for yourself and decide. It rivals Gears of War 3!

Personally, I’ve had the chance to play with the UDK (Unreal Development Kit) so I’ve had first-hand experience with the awesome features of the latest version of Unreal Engine 3. I can tell you that it’s awesome. Lighting, physics, animation, you name it. Unreal Engine 3 can do it.

Compared to Modern Warfare 2 though, it may have a greater sense of “overall detail” but Bulletstorm definitely does it right in terms of graphics fidelity.

Signed,
    A loyal PC gamer

8. Freek

He doesn’t care, but the art and engine people on his team defenitly do care about making a great looking game.

9. ExclusivesMostly

That’s B.S.
    I want great gameplay and great graphics. That’s why I purchased a next gen console. The game is looking good so far though, and with the time remaining before launch they should definately refine and polish it properly.

10. Blerk

I keep wondering if I’m looking at the same game as everyone else, every time I’ve seen it it’s looked rubbish. :-|

Where are these videos where it looks ‘awesome’? I must be looking at the wrong ones.