Microsoft seeing “unprecedented demand” for Slim

Friday, 2nd July 2010 09:39 GMT By Patrick Garratt

new360

Speaking in its post-NPD statement last night, Microsoft said the Slim 360 it introduced at E3 is a hit at retail.

“We are hearing great feedback from retailers that the new Xbox 360 250GB is experiencing unprecedented demand,” said the company.

“Consumers are eager to experience this new console, completely redesigned for the future of entertainment: sleeker, smaller, and whisper-quiet.

“Strong demand for the new Xbox 360 250GB combined with a $50 price reduction in the US on the Xbox 360 Arcade and Elite consoles, now US$149.99 and US$249.99 respectively, has resulted in a significant sales spike for Xbox 360 since the new console hit shelves on or around June 14.”

The new 360 unit was shown for the first time in the Microsoft E3 press conference last month.

Microsoft showed relatively strong figures compared to PS3 in the US in May, with 194,600 consoles sold compared to Sony’s 154,500. Both were comprehensively beaten by Wii and DS, with 334,800 and 383,700 sales respectively.

Get all the May NPD data here.

1. Isuru86

No Thanks, I’m gonna buy me a nice little Black Wii and spazz out :)

2. Patrick Garratt

:D

3. Zune HD

im gonna Buy new Xbox 360 Slim after 1 week :)

4. Blerk

You know, I’d completely forgotten that this was already out in the US. I’d somehow managed to convince myself that they were still waiting for it like we are.

5. cookiejar

I’ll get one when my current 360 kicks the bucket. Its almost a whole year old now, so any day I imagine :D

6. Blerk

GI.biz is saying they sold 15,000 of these in Japan last week. Which is somewhat surprising, even given the Monster Hunter thing.

7. The Hindle

Hmm i really cant see this having the Ps3 slim style effect that Microsoft want it to be.

8. cookiejar

@7 Me either, but this will do very well. Question is, how long for?

9. Blerk

It was the price cut that fired PS3 sales when the Slim launched, not the revamped hardware. Given that Microsoft haven’t (effectively) dropped the price then I wouldn’t expect a similar level of interest. Bundling more hardware in for ‘free’ isn’t nearly as popular as cutting a few quid off the RRP.

10. sennasnit

The PS3 slim was released at a lower price point, whereas they’ve decided to keep the same price for the 360 s.
    Two months sales spike? then as you were.
    EDIT. damn you Blerk.

11. endgame

i wonder why r they telling this to us? it’s not like someone’s going to buy a console just because oh so many other ppl do. we’r not sheep. or maybe.. !? :)

12. Gama_888

i cannot understand why people are flocking to get this thing?
    its the same old stuff in a new box for the same price?

i actually know people who are going to trade in their elites to get this. WTF??

13. Blerk

Silence is golden.

14. cookiejar

Well, im sure it’ll sell more than the KIN. What a mess that is :D

15. freedoms_stain

I think your average 360 owners love the games but freakin hate the hardware.

There are a lot of people out there with original 20GB models out of warranty desperate for a bigger hard drive and pretty much waiting for the day it keels over and dies for the last time.
    I can see how 250GB, Wireless N and a far quieter machine might appeal.

16. NiceFellow

Unless the drop price on the slim the spike will be temporary. I’m expecting a spike due to the cut price on current models. Then an initial spike to slim as the really loyal 360 owners trade up.

After that, if it’s the same price, the sales should settle back to current levels unless Kinect does it’s thang. Which it might in US, but I don’t think it’s going to take of in Europe personally – both down to living rooms, habits and approach. But I could be wrong.

17. Len

I couldn’t find any of these in NY last week except a display one in BestBuy at Columbus Circle.

Looked nice though…

18. Holesome

It’s been a long time since any 360 owner could be even remotely proud of the 360 hardware and the constant RROD badgering by the public has depressed 360 owners. If this 360s can “reset” the negative hardware stigma and offer a renewed pride in the 360 hardware shitloads of existing customers will likely upgrade.

On top of that the large public that has stayed away from the 360 due to the high failure rate may see this as the right time to buy in without the stress of possible console failure.

In addition N wireless will be a huge plus for customers who don’t have a wired network and didn’t want to spend the additional 100.00 on the G wireless, which IMO didn’t work well. N is value add!

One step forward…and it may be a large one.

Next up, reducing XBL cost…and I hear there may be a family pack come November of 4 Gold for 100? Boy would that help around here. I picked up two Gold for 40.00 each and was tickled pink (normally 60 here in Canada) but 25.00 each?

19. Tallon 4

No thank you. I keep my old 360 special HALO-Edition.

20. itwa5medicks

I think the only reason its selling is to replace broken systems.

btw, I find it funny as hell that since the ps3 is selling like crazy that all the systems are black now. Weren’t they both originally the opposite color in the beginning?