Jaffe not sold on Modern Warfare-style level-up system for Twisted Metal

Friday, 2nd July 2010 05:32 GMT By Nathan Grayson

twistedmetal

Gamers have heard exuberant sounds and received a marginal stat increase for everything from slaying monsters to watering plants, so why not do it for driving like a maniac while playing as an actual maniac?

Well, David Jaffe has a few good reasons, actually.

“So it seems there are LOTS of peps who want leveling up and unlocking for the new Twisted Metal. Fair enough. We may do this (still deciding aspects of that system). BUT for me I find it very interesting that key reasons people bring up for wanting it are things like ‘so I don’t get bored’, ‘pushes me to keep playing beyond the first month’, ‘I like to collect things’, etc,” Jaffe said in a post on Twitlonger.

“To me it seems like they are saying, ‘I like chess but it’s be better if I could rank up and earn new pieces’. That may be the case but to me it dilutes the fun of trying to outthink your opponent and stay 2-5 steps ahead because you now have this higher/meta goal that can take your focus from the core experience.”

“I get 100% why people love it and I get how it’s good business in many ways to include it. Just trying to decide if it ends up hurting the core game at a fundamental level,” he explained.

We’d agree with him, but we just unlocked three new guns for making this post. Now we just need to go level up our skills with each of those individual guns, so we can get more guns. Fundamental problem? We have no idea what Jaffe’s talking about.

1. Crysis

leveling systemisn’t bad, not at all, it’s when it goes overboard making people take forever & give up is when it becomes bad

2. Gekidami

Jaffe said at E3 that he was against a system like this because he found that it ruined balance. He didnt want someone who was at rank 20 to be unbeatable for someone whose at rank 5 because they havent unlocked gear thats as good.

3. Gheritt White

This is *all* because of Diablo, I hope people realise this./

DRUIDS RULE, OK!

4. DrDamn

I think his fundamental point there is that if you make the core gameplay good enough then you don’t “need” the levelling unlocks. Not necessarily that if done well it wouldn’t add to the experience, but fundamentally you need to get the core game working and deep enough to sustain interest before putting these sort of layers on it.

5. Gadzooks!

You may not ‘need’ the levelling, but given a choice between a great game and a great game with a deep meta-game, I’d choose the latter every time.

Metagaming/levelling is pretty much a fundamental part of game design nowadays.

6. Freek

There’s allot of drawback to the leveling stuff too. You start off not only new and inexperienced to the game, you also start out with crap equipment. Increasing the curve you have to get through in order to enjoy the multiplayer part of the game.

And the game breaking uber combination the hardcore crowd come up that pretty much destroyed MW2.

7. LOLshock94

the thing i hate about this “leveling up and collecting” thing is that its hard to not make a over-powered gun because its always the first guns that are over-powered

8. Gadzooks!

SP equipment does not have to carry over to Multiplayer, so if developed properly there would be no advantage in MP for a high level or well equipped SP character.

Similarly, MP levelling/balance should be designed so that high level characters get cool looking items/abilities, not ones that actually unbalance gameplay.

I have no idea what that means. Are you referring to a specific game?