“Home has been a huge success,” says Sony

Friday, 2nd July 2010 10:24 GMT By Johnny Cullen

homelogo

PlayStation Home boss Jack Buser has told Gama that the online service has been a “very good business model for PlayStation, and quite profitable.”

Buser didn’t give any specific revenue figures, though.

“With numbers like we have, it goes without saying that Home has been a huge success for our company, something that we have been very proud of,” he said.

Since Home started a year-and-a-half ago, Buser said, over 100 games have been added to the service, as have 50 virtual Home spaces.

The average Home user invests at least 70 minutes per session, apparently.

Buser went on: “We’ve released over 5,000 virtual items on the platform, and we know that once those items reach maturity, they are profitable. So you see us creating a tremendous amount of virtual items, because it is such a high margin business for us to be in.”

PlayStation Home launched as an open beta at the end of 2008 after a GDC 2007 reveal.

It’s had 14 million users since launch, as of last month. Fancy that.

1. NGCes26294BIV

Erm… no it hasn’t.

2. Blerk

I suppose it depends on how you define ‘success’. If for them it means they’ve made a bunch of money selling virtual tat to idiots then yes, it probably has been. :-)

3. NGCes26294BIV

“Buser didn’t give any specific revenue figures, though”

Says it all really.

4. Robo_1

For a business, if it’s been profitable, then it’s been successful.

Lots of cool spaces these days too, and I’m thrilled there are enough people buying virtual baseball caps to fund further development. :)

5. Gheritt White

Where “huge success” is Orwellian double-speak for “dismal failure”.

6. Johnny Cullen

To be fair, it is a lot better then it was two years or so ago.

7. Robo_1

We have this discussion every Home thread. lol

It feels almost scripted at this point. :D

8. NGCes26294BIV

That’s not how it works. Sony need developers and publishers to invest in Home development in order to increase its userbase and , by extension, its revenue. If you read between the lines of what is said above, it’s clear that only a very small number of the thousands of virtual items actually make money. When they ‘reach maturity’; whatever the fuck that means.

9. DrDamn

Success is relative though. If they had spent the time and resources they spent on Home on the core of PSN or even simply some games instead then maybe they would have been more successful.

I tried it, didn’t like it. If there are plenty of people using it on a regular basis then obviously it’s just not for me.

10. NGCes26294BIV

“To be fair, it is a lot better then it was two years or so ago.”

When you’ve hit rock bottom, the only way is up.

11. Kerplunk

@8 ““I’m thrilled there are enough people buying virtual baseball caps to fund further development”

That’s not how it works.

That’s exactly how it works.

12. sennasnit

@NGC
    Have you even seen Home?
    It’s really not that bad, and it’s free. some cool spaces.
    I really don’t know why so many people are negative towards it, unless they’ve never seen or used it.

13. cookiejar

I go on it now and then and its fine.

14. Gadzooks!

“It’s had 14 million users since launch, as of last month.”

I’m sure the 5 people that didnt immediately uninstall Home after checking it out are enjoying the wide open people-free space.

15. Robo_1

Show me one scrap of evidence that Sony’s game portfolio has suffered due to Home. If Sony are still throwing money and resources at it, then it makes good business sense for them to do so.

No point responding to obvious trolls.

16. NGCes26294BIV

How much do you think the profits from virtual baseball caps is likely to fund?

No, I’m just making it up.

17. NGCes26294BIV

Quite brilliantly though, you just did.

18. NGCes26294BIV

Seriously though, good for Sony. If it’s working, great.

Would much prefer to see that investment go into a more structured online system for multiplayer gaming, though.

19. get2sammyb

I was anticipating a shit-storm of hate in here, but honestly, if you haven’t been on it since it launched, you should at least give it another look. While it probably still won’t be for you, the service has come on leaps and bounds. There’s actually loads of stuff to do now. It’s pretty cool.

EDIT: It’s also worth noting that most spaces are usually completely rammed whenever I go on, so there are definitely a lot of people using it.

20. Kerplunk

@16 Virtual baseball caps cost next to nothing to manufacture. They’re virtual.

Sell 1 virtual item at $1 to “14million users” and you get quite a nice development fund. Sell it to half that many and you still get a decent amount.

Selling virtual tat has made numerous companies millions in a variety of industries.

@17 Was that a confession? :)

21. cookiejar

@18, Well, now the Subscription has finally kicked in, we might see that.

22. StolenGlory

Home is shit.

Moving swiftly on to the next order of business…

23. Robo_1

Wow, an amicable end to a Home topic, who’d have thunk it. :D

Edit: StolenGlory FTL :(

24. StolenGlory

@Robo.

Each to their own, I just don’t get whole lot out of it. Seems like a pointless experience to me.

Others might get something from it however.

25. evilashchris

It’s really shit though. Really. I loaded it once and did an 0_0 face.

26. NGCes26294BIV

14 million users? You’re kidding, right :p Not even CoD DLC sells that many Avatar items or DLC packs.

And a confession? Of course not :)

27. Robo_1

True story, I thought it was mostly bobbins myself until the first major update and the Buzz space. From there on it’s become a quality service IMO.

As an aside, I wonder when Free Realms will make it’s way onto PS3, as I believe that’s proven quite popular.

28. The Hindle

Most people in this thread rather have never used Home or went on it once and have not been on it again, its actually a respectable service now.

29. Kerplunk

The last line of the article states:

“It’s had 14 million users since launch, as of last month. Fancy that.”

And remember, in order to buy CoD dlc you have to have paid for CoD in the first place. So the cost of entry is significantly higher. That might be a factor.

30. NGCes26294BIV

“It’s had 14 million users since launch, as of last month. Fancy that.”

Users, total. Not active.

I see your point, though.

31. get2sammyb

I think the point @20 was trying to make was that it probably costs Sony a couple of hundred dollars to make a virtual baseball cap. Even if they only sell that hat 100,000 times at $1 a pop, it’s mostly clear profit. I can see how that could be quite successful for them.

Also, for those of you who have been on Home recently, I reckon the Sodium One space does quite well. It’s like a little 3D shoot ‘em up game with achievements, progressive unlocks and all sorts. But to get access to the full game (you can play the first five levels for free) you need to buy a costume. I actually wouldn’t mind seeing more of that kind of stuff.

32. Herlock

@NGCes26294BIV
    People buy stuff in Home so they making money.

33. NiceFellow

If it’s profitable and has a regular user base then it’s clearly a success.

It’s not for me – I drop in maybe once every 6 months for 10 minutes just to see if I’ve changed my mind : but so far I haven’t.

But clearly for those who like it the thing works and makes money (mind you, selling virtual merchandise it should be profitable and with pretty high margins, too).

I note that, from being touted as Home in terms of your hub on PS3 it has become more of a feature for some, with XMB and PSN store (and the chat functions) arguably the true home for most PS3 owners.

34. The Grump

Well, it’s only any fun when you get up to stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjZFbkZMR-E

35. OlderGamer

Well I am of the camp that say Home stinks. I have used it here and there. Tho it has been a while. So whats changed?

What is there that will make me want to visit? or better yet stay and spend some time there?

Last I knew there was nothing. Big empty space. Had a “theater” were loads of young males stalked for female avatars. Lots advertising. Shops to spend real life money on your avatar. Streaming video of games and more adverts. A couple of badly done mini games that I wouldn’t download if they were free.

The one bright spot I did see was the bowling game. The pool wasn’t bad either. Neither one were compeling enough to want to spend any more then a once or twice tho. And both were mared with the same foul mouthed youth that plague the rest of the space.

I would actualy use home if I could instance it and exclude the rest of the comunity. If I could open Home and close it to anyone that wasn’t on my friends list, I would visit more often. I don’t know that I would spend a large amount of time there. But I would check it out once in awhile.

So I ask you Sony fans, what has changed with home that would make me want to revisit?

36. Crysis

14 million users, thats 3/7 of all ps3 owners,pretty damn great, thats more than most MMO sell (granted this is free)

37. OlderGamer

14 million people trying it out doesn’t 14 million users make.

Everyone I know has downloaded MS Gameroom. Yet no one I know uses it reguarly.

Same type of thing. Never take numbers provided by the game industry at face value.

38. Mauller

“The average Home user invests at least 70 minutes per session, apparently.”

Really? Who are these people and are they really that bored? The only times I’ve gone into Home recently were because I accidently loaded it. The only fun that I’ve found in there is when my friend bring her avatar online and we laugh at all the creepy guys that start to cluster around her asking for her age and where she lives.

39. Nico23

Too bad every f ing time i want to sign in it tells me to update i press ok and ma ps3 just restarts over and over again.