Epic: “We’re very much into the PC game business”

Thursday, 1st July 2010 22:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

epicgameslogo

Epic’s Mark Rein has said the firm is “very much” into the PC game business, and people mistake the firm’s interests due to the Gears franchise being published by a console-holder.

Speaking with RPS, Rein said Bulletstorm is just one example of a multiplatform title coming from the firm, which proves it’s not resistant to creating games for PC.

“We’ve released an update to the Unreal Development Kit every single month, with huge amounts of changes and improvements which are obviously going into our engine and making them available to customers, we’ve tested them on PC,” he said.

“If you look at all the UDK games they’re PC only at this point, and we will eventually see them on other devices. But I think that’s a myth that we’ve abandoned the PC, it’s just not true.

“I mean, Bulletstorm is coming out on three platforms; we’ve just been in this situation where our biggest franchise has been published by a console-holder, and was a very console designed-IP.

“I wouldn’t want people to mistake that for our intentions or our interests, because we’re very much into the PC game business. In fact, when we stop this, I will show you a video from a whole bunch a PC-specific features in our engine really high end stuff that we’re going to do”.

While Epic owns the Gears IP – not Microsoft -  some of the more vocal sectors of the gaming community seem to think that’s all the firm prefers to focus on – which again, is not true.

“Don’t confuse Gears of War with everything we do,” said Rein. “There’s a tendency to think that because we wanna do one thing really, really well and not a hundred things really poorly or just okay, that we’re less committed.

“Bulletstorm is PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 and you’ll see when it comes out, it will be a full-blown, oh-my-god amazing PC game. I wouldn’t draw the comparisons there”.

Bulletstorm’s out on February 22 next year, and you can watch the walkthrough posted earlier through here.

1. loki

Bulletstorm – mediocre,
    Rein – idiot, and it’s time to fire this idiot from Epic

2. Stephany Nunneley

Loki – your PC hatred knows no limits does it?

3. Anders

Still, no Shadow Complex for PC? I could see that doing pretty well with a $20-30 pricetag.

4. Happy Hardon Harry

I think the PC came in and fucked Loki’s mum, dad, brother and sisters as well as his gran…a bitter guy indeed.

5. Erthazus

PC is alive ahd he is going to fuck Loki’s Mom’s Ass. Prepare for the MASSIVE DAMAGE!

6. fdelfino

they should release gears 2 for PC. It’s about time. How long ha it been since it was released for the 360?

7. YoungZer0

Doing. Not talking. That’s what i want to see.

8. blackdreamhunk

more like why should I buy from epic games…..I mean they hate pc gamers and pc gaming so much! maybe they should stick to consoles because they are one of the game devs that wanted to destroy pc gaming.

these are the kind of game devs that make want to quit gaming for good.

9. S0meRand0mN00b

Loki – your ignorance knows no limits does it?

10. lucascane

GOW2 PC PLEASE~ Then I will forgive You.

11. macronia

that what i want too :D

12. unacomn

Is Mark Rein’s new job at Epic to reverse the effect of what Capps and Bleszinsky say?
    Capps said Farmville-like games were the only thing PCs will be good for in the future and Bleszinsky called it a market with no future.

It’s like a game of bad cop-good cop, but more like jerk dev- nice dev.

13. Gekidami

He also thinks the iPad is awesome for games… So yeah…

14. Blerk

/waits for Mark Rein to turn up
    /checks watch

15. loki

It will be fun when Gears of War 3 sell in 2-3 times better only on Xbox 360 than Bulletstorm on 3 platforms and fail on PC as usual. Interestingly, when this idiot says?
    Cliff make awesome games and money
    Rein make nothing and talking bullshit

16. Gheritt White

PC gaming *always* becomes steadily more popular/influential towards the end of a particular console generation’s life-cycle as the differences in power potential become more apparent.

Since this console gen’s death looks to be an especially long drawn out affair, I expect more and more stories like this appearing over the next few year.

17. endgame

“Loki – your PC hatred knows no limits does it?” @Stephany Nunneley I think he hates it because he can not understand it. as for this news article, meeeh, it’s no like we care about Epic so much anymore. they make average to really bad games. UT3 was a joke, Bulletstorm is nothing special, Gears is ok I guess, and Shadow Complex, well this is not a type of game that I like so I can’t really say anything about it.

18. Old MacDonald

3: Shadow Complex! I’d forgotten about that. When oh when are we getting a PC-version on Steam (et.c)?

19. LOLshock94

i dont see why guys what gears of war 2 if its for the story then yes but if its for multiplayer then thats when gears of war 2 fails

20. gu1do

Why we should buy from EPIC ???
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    They fu**ed up with Gears of war 2 and didn’t release it for us (pc gamers) and there CEO clify shit made it very clear that they will stop supporting PC so my point is why we should support them buying there games ..

21. blackdreamhunk

dear epic games you make me sick!

don’t come back

if EA was smart they should just cancel the pc version of this game.

22. bpcgos

@Gheritt
    agree with you!! Its the end of console lifecycle, and PC gain its popularity. The maturity of PC digital sales today (steam,etc.) also make console developer (that grows from PC in their early stage) interested to come back!