Ebert battered into submission over “games as art” comments

Thursday, 1st July 2010 08:44 GMT By Patrick Garratt

art

Film critic Roger Ebert has u-turned on his assertion that games can never be “art” – after 4,500 comments on his article claimed otherwise.

Apparently, Roger now thinks that games might be art “someday”. Something of a turnaround from the stance in his piece, “Video games can never be art”.

“My error in the first place was to think I could make a convincing argument on purely theoretical grounds,” he now reckons.

“What I was saying is that video games could not in principle be Art. That was a foolish position to take, particularly as it seemed to apply to the entire unseen future of games. This was pointed out to me maybe hundreds of times. How could I disagree? It is quite possible a game could someday be great Art.”

The humiliating back-track continued: “Who was I to say video games didn’t have the potential of becoming Art? Someday? There was no agreement among the thousands of posters about even one current game that was an unassailable masterpiece. Shadow of the Colossus came closest. I suppose that’s the one I should begin with.”

Roger? You’re rubbish. Thanks, Kotaku.

1. mpiwo

You are right, mistake his name so he knows where his place is, the bastard! :)

2. MegaGeek1

If they’re not art, then what the hell are they? Also, what kind of name is Ebert anyway?

3. NGCes26294BIV

Man, do people still listen to Ebert?

Wait, isn’t he unable to talk? Cancer took his vocal chords, right?

Correction… do people still read what Ebert has to say?

Oh, and “If they’re not art, then what the hell are they?”

Entertainment. And sometimes, trash.

4. Freek

Bob, can I call you Bob? You’re a movie critic, that’s what you do and you do it well. But don’t step outside the world of cinema, doesn’t make sense.
    A bitt like a wine critic reviewing cars.

5. Egon Superb

Yeah, it took his vocal chords and his entire jaw IIRC. He doesn’t say anything anymore, he just writes a lot more.

6. Dean

@4 As @1 hinted at, his name is Roger – not Robert. So while you could call him Bob, he’ll probably just think you’re talking to someone else.

7. Patrick Garratt

God. Edited.

8. Armitage

Well that took him long enough.

9. Freek

Meh, Bob Ebert it is then ;-p

10. frostquake

Limbo

11. Shalashaska

For me the likes of Flower and Shadow of the Colossus would qualify as gaming art, especially Flower. Anyway, like one guy said, what does Ebert know about gaming anyway.

12. Quiiick

Any piece of entertainment that makes compromises/concessions towards a targeted audience can not be considered art.
    Same goes for movies.

13. IL DUCE

Yeah he needs to shut the fuck up…

14. 2plus2equals5

This is only a partial turn.
    He still thinks that past and present games are only garbage.