SEGA considering Saturn era releases on XBL and PSN

Wednesday, 30th June 2010 15:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

segasaturn

SEGA’s Yosuke Okunari, producer of the Dreamcast and Master System re-releases, has said the firm’s considering releasing titles from SEGA Saturn digitally.

Speaking with Game Watch Impress, Okunari said SEGA started off with Genesis and Dreamcast titles because those were the most popular and well known of the lot.

“When you look globally, the Genesis and Dreamcast are well known, but Saturn is unknown,” he said. “During that period, PlayStation and Nintendo 64 were a success overseas, but to be honest Saturn was not a success. Because of this, we decided on Dreamcast.

“It’s not that we’re ignoring Saturn I think you can see this, considering that we ported Nights Into Dreams and other titles.

“What we announced this time is a project where we will have consecutive releases of titles that were debuted on Dreamcast. Separate from this, we’re of course thinking about ports of Saturn games. It’s the same as how Sega Ages and Virtual Console were separate existences. It’s not that we have no intention of porting Saturn titles, so please share your requests.”

Okunari went on to say that SEGA may put online functionality in some games, but also teased that some of the titles being reworked may already contain online capability.

He also said the reason SEGA was skipping digital Wii releases was due to size limitations, but he added, however, the firm plans to continue developing games for Virtual Console.

Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi are to be released by the end of the year on XBL and PSN, with more titles to follow in the future.

Via Andriasang.

1. Stephany Nunneley

Shining the Holy Ark please. Thanks.

2. DaMan

Guardian Heroes please.

3. StolenGlory

Panzer Dragoon RPG thanks.

4. DJ Deathstar

Guardian Heroes needs to be available to those who never got a chance to witness its brilliance

5. DaMan

yep.

6. theevilaires

Guardian Heroes for the fucking WIN!

7. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Hopefully not until AFTER they re-release Dreamcast version of Code:Veronica in HD.

8. Blerk

Keep your smelly retro games thanks, Sega.

What? :-D

9. Kerplunk

Radiant Silvergun thankyouplease!

10. mington

Bug!

just kidding

11. Panou

Buuuuurning Rangeeeeeeeeeers!! :D

12. Eregol

Panzer Dragoon Saga plx.

13. mington

we’ve already had a Saturn era release with virtual On

Saturn era games will need a lot of tarting up, as much as i would like Guardian Heroes those sprites would look god awful on a HD tv

14. Razor

Come on, Daytona USA.

15. SadyFarah

May the gods of olympus hear my prays and bring DRAGON FORCE back to me!!!!!!

16. Suikoden Fan

Here’s the games i’d love to see

Sonic R
    bug 1 and 2
    clockwork knight 1 and 2
    mystaria
    astal
    keio 2

17. cookiejar

I’ve not played a Saturn game in my life. I haven’t even played on the console itself, come to think of it.

18. DaMan

nights into dreams too.

19. Gama_888

Sonic R and Jam for the fucking win!
    Rampage aswell!! dam that was classic!
    Saturn Bomberman aswell, Best Bomberman Game Ever :D

20. Boris Fett

Don’t expect Guardian Heroes. That’s Treasure’s property, not Sega’s. Sega only published it. If Guardian Heroes ever gets re-released, it’ll be on Treasure’s initiative, and probably separately to this whole Saturn re-release idea.

Pity. I’d love to see Guardian Heroes again.

Panzer Dragoon Saga, Sega. MAKE IT SO!

21. abnormal alan

I would love to see Guardian heroes hopefully treasure and Sega could work something out

@19 You’re right about Saturn Bomberman since playing that no Bomberman has lived up to it.

Dark Savior has to be one of my all time fav games. Other than the sometimes completely evil camera it was awesome with its mulitple storylines and even getting to kick the shit out of a maracca carrying banana…If memory serves I think he was called J.J……why do I remember that

22. chronoss2

why are you guys putting Dreamcast games in the tag ? :/

I see nobody talked about Fighters Megamix which is the best fighting game for me, only on Sega Saturn.

23. MushroomStamp

Kid Chameleon please :)

24. Len

@14 Has to be that and Sega Rally.

I put far far too many hours into those 2 in my teens.

I’d be so up for that…

25. Boris Fett

@23 Wrong format.

Not to mention it’s been re-released a bunch of times already. You can get it on the Virtual Console, and it’s also part of the Mega Drive Ultimate Collection.

26. LordCancer

I would kill for a copy of last gladiators. omg and road rash!

27. Bulk Slash

Bulk Slash please. Not me, the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwfdIzk9W4A

It would be good to get Panzer Dragoon Saga as well.

While I’d like to see ports of Daytona, Sega Rally, Fighting Vipers, etc, I think it would be better if Sega just port the Model 2 arcade games rather than the weaker home ports.

28. DJ Deathstar

Haha Alan yeah he was called JJ i’m fairly certain! I was gonna mention Saturn Bomberman being the best bomberman of all, the story mode was awesome!

29. TraceableX

Those Sega consoles failed baaaaaaaadly against PS1 and 2.
    My favorite is Sega Genesis.

Anyways, we need some Dreamcast titles on HD, please.

30. Suikoden Fan

i didnt say this earlier but SUIKODEN!!!!! it was released on the saturn but japan only.

31. OlderGamer

Was thinking the samething. In HD, Co-op/Online.

I would buy that. Three times.

32. Epic Fool

This thread = nostalgia overload for me :)

If Sega could actually get their act together long enough to release all 3 eps of Shining Force III over here this time I would fucking kill myself in gratitude, which is unlikely…

33. SilkVG

PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!! PANZER DRAGOON SAGA!!

Oh and the entire “Shining” series.

All in HD plox. Will buy. Actually I’d give my firstborn for PDS, possibly best game I have ever played (and I’ve played about 6 billion).

34. OlderGamer

I would love beyond words HD remakes of Saturn Games. Call me strange but I played the crap out of Saturn and Dreamcast. I played on PSone when something amazing came out. But mostly I was a Sega fan for years.

I still have the greats like Dragon Force, and Guardian Hereos, and of course Panzer Dragoon I II and Saga. Countless hours went into Daytona USA and many others. To be honest I never saw what other folks saw in the Playstation. I was enjoying Working Designs ports and their Spaz stuff.

lol so many great memories.

I even had my Saturn moded for imports from Capcom and SNK.