Wed, Jun 30, 2010 | 18:16 BST
Rumor: Kinect specifications listed by UK retailer
UK retailer Play.com has published unofficial specifications for Kinect, leading one to believe the hands-free controller only allows for two active players.
Granted, the specs reveal that Kinect can track up to six bodies, but only two can be active at a time it seems.
Another thing of note, is that the camera’s depth map is 320×240, which “differs from PrimeSense stating that it can handle a 640×480″ resolution. It appears Microsoft may have scaled back the definition, and if so, Digital Foundry suggests that skeletal tracking has been as well.
While the information has not been confirmed by Microsoft, Play has said that the specifications for Kinect came directly from the manufacturer.
Here’s the specs listed through Play:
- Colour and depth-sensing lenses
- Voice microphone array
- Tilt motor for sensor adjustment
Field of View
- Horizontal field of view: 57 degrees
- Vertical field of view: 43 degrees
- Physical tilt range: ± 27 degrees
- Depth sensor range: 1.2m – 3.5m
- 320×240 16-bit depth at 30FPS
- 640×480 32-bit colour at 30FPS
- 16-bit audio @ 16 kHz
Skeletal Tracking System
- Tracks up to 6 people, including 2 active players
- Tracks 20 joints per active player
- Ability to map active players to Xbox LIVE Avatars
- Xbox LIVE party chat and in-game voice chat (requires Xbox LIVE Gold Membership)
- Echo cancellation system enhances voice input
- Speech recognition in multiple languages
Kinect is out in November, with pricing still yet to be determined.