MS: Hardcore will buy Kinect first

Monday, 28th June 2010 13:44 GMT By Johnny Cullen

kinect

Worldwide product marketing manager of Xbox, Ryan Moore, has told CVG that hardcore gamers, and not the casual massive, will be the first to buy Kinect this November.

“I think we know that hardcore gamers will be the first to go out and buy it, as they are with any product,” Moore told the site at E3.

He went on to add: “We know we have to have a wide range of experiences, from things like the animals game you saw today to… games that are more geared towards the core.

“I would expect a wide range of products to be released this holiday.”

No European release date has been given for the motion camera, nor has the price for either Europe or the US. Speculation is pointing at a $150 RRP.

Expect pricing to be announced in Cologne during gamescom in August.

Kinect launches in the US on November 4.

1. locus2k1

I hate to say that being one of the 360 ‘core’ gamers I don’t think I will be investing it it… at least not at day one. Watching this year’s e3 it looked like it was all casual games to me, and I’m not interested in the Casual Games line-up I saw. Forza 4′s use of it looked intriguing, but I am not paying the speculated $150 just so I can look around my virtual vehicle…

But then I am the voice of one, others may go and buy it.

2. pha1r

I sure as hell won’t.

3. Gheritt White

Not unless they threw in a free Scarlett Johansson.

4. StolenGlory

Did they announce a bunch of core gamer titles that I wasn’t aware of?

Thought not.

No day one purchase here.

5. Mike Honcho

If MS’ idea of hardcore is that Funky Town dance-thingy game ….. then my money will be spent somewhere else.

6. Happy Hardon Harry

“Hardcore will buy Kinect first”

Will they fuck! Not unless it’s given away, free, with my favourite cereal: Coco-Pops.

7. Blerk

Where do I sign up for the free Scarlett Johansson offer?

8. Benjo1981

There are duplicates?! Sign me up for one of those :D

9. Rudderless

I think people might change their minds once they get chance to go hands-on (or should that be hands-off) with it. Particularly any core gamers with families.

10. drewbles82

i didnt see anything good apart from Dance central n that would mainly b a laugh as i cant dance, plus a lot of ppl wont have the room 2 move about 4 kinect. Forza 4, games like that would seem cool but think bout it, holding ur arms in those positions for hrs on end, no thanks. If i bought kinect id expect sumthing free with it like the ball bashing game, and that paint one they did last yr. It all depends on the price but i will be waiting 4 next yrs E3 and see what they come up with then.

11. StolenGlory

‘“We know we have to have a wide range of experiences, from things like the animals game you saw today to… games that are more geared towards the core.’

And precisely what games are more geared toward the core you overpaid suit-wearing tool?

12. Benjo1981

Before you go ahead and insult the guy maybe consider the possibility that MS haven’t revealed everything yet?

“I would expect a wide range of products to be released this holiday.”

13. Rudderless

Dance Central is fucking awesome. Child of Eden potentially even more so. That’s two crackers for starters.

14. killercow

@13 agreed, but it will all come down to the price.

15. Moonwalker1982

I sure as hell will not, lol.

16. theevilaires

Let me re-word that headline for you Johnny.

“M$: XBOTS will buy Kinect first”

17. Kaufer

@13 You don’t need kinect to play Child of Eden. It can be played with a regular controller. Heck! Its even compatible with ps move.

18. nonnaglien

im “core” and i have preorderd mine at gamestop! i think people are being prrry narrowminded with what the technology can do. The prospect of headtracking alone can open a lot of doors to developers

19. Bikki

@16 and ps3 fanboys will shove ps move so hard up in their asses that they cant breath.

20. StolenGlory

Calling Dance Central a ‘core’ title is a stretch at best and Child Of Eden has a release date TBA.

As far as announcing launch games which are going to appeal to the core, well, they kinda missed the boat at E3 methinks.

Oh also, don’t feed the resident troll that just turned up.

21. pha1r

Hey, we are NOT going to descend into a fanboy war here.

22. theevilaires

@19 was that a come back or you just being a retard as usual :D

23. Blerk

No, we really are. :-D

24. Bulk Slash

I guess I’m not a hardcore gamer any more then, as I have no intention of going out and buying Kinect, even if the price is lower than current speculation puts it.

I’ll just stick with my antiquated joypad with all its buttons and joysticks and rumble motors.

If the hardcore aren’t interested and the casuals think it’s too expensive, Kinect it pretty much fucked. I think Nintendo had the right idea when they remade the Gamecube as a new console and then bundled their new control scheme. That avoids any problem of a two-tier install base. MS should have saved Kinect for the next generation and just kept focusing on doing what they were doing well to begin with, i.e. Gears, Crackdown, Forza, etc.

25. theevilaires

The problem with Kinect (Natal) is that hardcore gamers want something to hold. Do you see XBOX Live top played online games every month.

Its COD,Halo,and Gears. Not some dance game or Banjo Koozie. We need a controller M$. Just release a Wii or Move knock off controller and your chances of success will double.

26. Gheritt White

Um… have you even played Banjo-Kazooie? You defo needed a controller for that game.

Oh, and a brain as well, which may account for your unfamiliarity.

27. theevilaires

In reference to Banjo kazooie I meant its not something hardcore games would play period. They rather play Gears or Halo. That dance game I mention was reference to no controller.

I should have made myself more clear but I’m glad I didn’t because it shows all you do is stalk my post looking for cheap shots whenever you can get them off on me by making a slight error.

Gheritt from the bottom of my heart I want you to know you are the biggest loser next to Gadzooks! on this site and you two need your own sitcom reality show. Oh wait I think you two already had one…. http://media.photobucket.com/image/beavis%20and%20butt/thefifthdensity/Beavis_and_Butt_head_by_spacecoyote.jpg

28. DaMan

say, theevil: would the hardcore ones play Sly Cooper?

29. theevilaires

Sly Cooper requires skills. Banjo is just a dumb bear with a giant chicken attached to his back in a dumb book bag Mario rip off.

Thats the differences…Oh and the characters actually talk in the sly games unlike Banjo’s mute bear and chicken.

Animals who talk in games are hardcore. Animals that don’t are casual.

30. No_PUDding

‘Animals’ and ‘hardcore’ in the same sentence – not a good look.

31. DaMan

fair enough, I always said God of War isn’t something the cuntish elitists, er, that is hardcore gamers would play either, Ninja Gaiden all the way.

32. theevilaires

Sly Cooper, Ratchet, and Jak are hardcore animal games. Not Banjo that’s softcore casual meh stuff :D

33. The Hindle

Erm im hardcore and id rather play Gow to NG any day of the week imo.

34. DaMan

then there’s something with your definition of hardcore.

TH, do you read the converstaion as a whole, or just posts separately?

35. StolenGlory

@TEA:

‘hardcore animal games’.

Sounds dodgy :)

36. Benjo1981

“Animals who talk in games are hardcore. Animals that don’t are casual.”

Why? Why do you see verbal behaviour as ‘hardcore’ and non-verbal behaviour as “softcore casual meh stuff”?

I’m at a loss as to your reasoning behind this..

37. The Hindle

Nope nothing wrong with my defintion of hardcore, maybe its your stuck up attitude towards other peoples tastes that i have a problem with. There is absoluley nothing to back up that Gow is not for the hardcore.

38. DaMan

Hindle, sorry bud but are you being deliberately ironic?

if you took your head out of the ass, and actually read post no 31, you’ d noticed there’s a continuation of the sentence.

39. The Hindle

I have read your post otherwise i would have not commented wouldnt i?

40. theevilaires

@35 on the back of game cases they should put “hardcore animal action” as a description from now on. :D

@36 having these animal creatures speak can add spice to a game which no longer makes you look at the little cute animal character as a nice character but as a bad ass who can curse and say funny borderline risky adult jokes like Daxter.

Remember playing as Jak in Jak 1? He was a mute who didn’t have any really other attacks than punch and spin kick. Thats because the first game was targeted at young children but when Naughty dog wanted hardcore gamers they added a voice to Jak in jak 2.

The second you heard his voice it kinda justified why this pointy eared animal was using guns, hover boards, and high jacking hover bikes. Now lets see Rare add guns to Banjo and still try to keep him as a mute.

41. DaMan

thus I quote:

“…isn’t something the cuntish elitists, er, that is hardcore gamers… ”

notice the first half of the quote in particular.

to which you replied with a post about a ‘stuck up attitude towards others’ tastes’.

42. The Hindle

Yep youre implying once again that hardcore gamers wont play Gow which is pure fabrication. To which i replied im a hardcore gamer and id rather play Gow to NG which undermines your statement.

43. NiceFellow

That seems odd. At E3 everything about Kinect was clearly aimed at what MS believes to be the Wii demographic.

MS have even said support for ‘hardcore’ titles will come at a later date.

Now they think they existing base will buy it up in droves with nothing to play on it aimed at them?

Are the millions who clearly bought 360 for Halo, Gears, CoD, etc. really going to flock to the titles shown?

Seems a stretch to me. But on the other hand 360 owners are fairly loyal bunch so you never know.

44. polygem

I really dont want to buy it. Hated the e3 presentation of it. But in the end i will end up buying it day 1. Child of eden. I know i will buy it anyway some time later because i’ll be too curious abot it and will want to check it out myself…so i will pick it up the day it will be released probably. Only in gaming i end up buying things i actually dont want to buy from time to time…

45. DaMan

…….
    …..

then why would I put the ‘cuntish elitists’ there, i wonder?

46. Dralen

OMG this is gonna flop so hard. It’s incredible how Microsoft can get it so wrong.

47. Kaufer

@45 DaMan do you realize that you are the ‘cuntish elitist’ with the way you keep insisting the Gow is not hardcore? He never even said NG wasn’t hardcore but your objection to HIS taste/definition of hardcore screams stuck up to me.

48. joshua nash

i consider myself to be among the “core”, but there is NO WAY that i’m going to buy the kinect unless i am guaranteed that it will be delivered by a naked Scarlett Johansson, Keira Knightley and Natalie Portman

49. DaMan

funny, yeah.

good grief. my comment implied how the definition of ‘hardcore’ in itself is pretty much a fabrication, hence calling hardcore gamers ‘cuntish elitists’. really hard to understand, isn’t it?

50. Benjo1981

Gordon Freeman doesn’t speak, yet I’d say he was in a ‘hardcore’ game.

51. DaMan

but he is not a beast!

52. asdfasdf

lol

53. Herlock

LOL, to play what ?

54. JonFE

“I think we know that hardcore gamers will be the first to go out and buy it…”

Why, oh why, would they do that? :?

55. xmaster dosx

im the hardcore xbox fanboy and i WILL NOT buy this at launch. if they come out with a bundle with the xbox s and this for 399$. its a maybe, a big maybe

56. mtmind2

“I think we know that hardcore gamers will be the first to go out and buy it, as they are with any product”

That COULD happen, but not with the games shown so far, since MS’s focus is obviously to enter the space dominated by the Wii.

However, if between now and launch they show games that uses Kinect in a way that excites hardcore gamers (and imo, that requires Kinect to be used to ADD to the standard controller, not replace it), then perhaps the hardcore will buy Kinect in significant numbers.

57. theevilaires

@50 I was only talking about animals in games. You would have had a better argument if you said LINK not Gordon. ;)

58. MushroomStamp

I consider myself hardcore and I have ZERO interest in this product. I figure it will end up like my eyetoy, neato for a demo but no way will I play a real game with this thing. I need accuracy in my controls and NO motion controller can replicate what a standard controller can do. (Ok, I did get tiger on the PS3 just to play it with the Move, but that’s the only game) The rest is all cheese.

59. Galactic_Barret

I believe the first two Banjo games had enough challenge, charisma, and depth to transcend experience levels. I have no clue what BK3 was about, but that create-a-vehicle stuff did not instill confidence.

DaMan, you earned your own grief with that comment. Using GoW in a statement that doesn’t end with “is awesome!” is foolish enough, but to deny its core appeal, in any form, is prayer to be flamed.

Core 360 will eventually buy Kinect, killer app or no. In an environment where peer-pressure is not only prevalent, but encouraged, you’ll soon feel as if you have no other alternative sooner or later.

60. DaMan

ah, the Galactic one with his nasty tastes in gaming again. I’m not surprised you enjoy GoW.

I don’t have any grief to deal with really, you fail at getting the tone of my post once more. it’s the sensitive dumbass fanboys with broken sarcasm detectors that are sad.

61. Axelander

Weren’t the hardcore gamers complaining about the Microsoft Press Conference, because of Kinect? Micro$oft FAIL

62. Galactic_Barret

Err, OK.

Lets be clear, again: I couldn’t care less who likes GoW. However, common sense should tell you that if the fanboys are gathering, don’t swat their beehive.

You deliberately chose a controversial subject to go at (A PS3 game in a 360 thread) and was shocked at the responses. Everyone with sense saw that post, shook their head, and moved on. I see my one mistake was, again. telling you where you went wrong as to prevent similar situations in the future. You rather attack than say ‘Ahh, gotcha.”; All I see in that is someone looking for a fight (I’ll just assume it was TEA, as he is scapegoated as much as he instigates) and another person to back you up. It backfired, sorry.

Don’t be mistaken in thinking I didn’t “see” your point, which is why I posted as much; DMC is just as easy to type as GoW. If you enjoy the bickering, by all means, continue laying out the tasty, tasty fanboy bait.

63. G1GAHURTZ

Sorry, but hardcore gamers consider any sort of input delay whatsoever to be a bad thing.

Why would they look at the E3 demo lagfest and possibly want one??

64. spiderLAW

lets get this out there so that you all know.
    There isnt any one person at vg247 who is as much of a hardcore gamer as i (so i’d like to think…well, just pointing out how hardcore i am.)
    Now that we have that straightened out let me say that i am not buying Kinect. When i see Kinect actually do what these MS employees keep speaking of, then i might buy it. When i see core games being played with precision , then i might just go out and buy it, as long as its $100 or less.

65. DaMan

@62 ah, so now we are the rational one. you could’ve said what you just did from the start then. if you make dick jokes the reaction is going to be similar.

GoW, and not Dmc was chosen because I was making fun of theevil’s bias. I wasn’t shocked at the responses, I was surprised at people reading what they want to read, again and again.

66. Amored

I agree with his statment. I really believe hardcore gamers will buy Kinect first.

67. Galactic_Barret

What are you talking about? Dick jokes? I guess reading into things goes both ways.

Speaking of, because you were going after TEA (Seriously, why pick a fight with him?) I wrote what I did. You don’t get propers for goading him into a situation where people will bad mouth him. Hes a big boy; If, and when, he decides to start a flame war, he will do so of his own accord and the backlash will be his alone to bear. No one wants to see a trapped, angered TEA, no one with common sense.

I’ll leave you be from now onward. You can’t take criticism, after two meetings with you I get that now. Realize, though, that no one is above it. Something about fingers and pointing goes with that, I think.

68. DaMan

uh, no a better question would be ‘what are you talking about’?

because, I was simply talking to him this time actually. it was all funny in fact, when suddenly some of the guys took offence, while misunderstanding me at the same time. then you appeared, failing to see that I wasn’t even fighting with him and posted that comment of yours.

you see, I’m not a fan of critics that validate their points they way you do. back then and this time again.

69. DaMan

and, Galactic_Barrett while you’re at it. why not criticize me for turning this into a potential bestiality debate by saying that Half Life protagonist wasn’t a beast?

seriously, what the hell was I thinking? I could’ve offended someone here.

70. Galactic_Barret

That would only cause problems with PETA. I’ll let them handle that.

Don’t do the strawman thing. That won’t work ^.^b

71. DaMan

uh, no.

what I ‘m saying is that (believe it or not) I was in fact simply talking with TEA. today, there was no conflict between me and him, and this time he did nothing of what you’ve described earlier, he wasn’t going to either.

funny really, it wasn’t even him who misinterpret my comment. it were other people, and after that I explained it. then you appeared.

frankly I think that he can be funny at times, if he doesn’t go overboard.

72. ghaith

microsoft is an amazing company….i’ll get (knict) no doubt