iPhone 4 sells 1.7 million in first week

Monday, 28th June 2010 16:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

iphone42

Apple’s announced that 1.7 million units of the fourth generation iPhone have been sold since its worldwide release last week.

CEO Steve Jobs has said the launch of the tech has been “the most successful” in the company’s history.

That’s despite recent reports of issues such as bugs and the “grip of death,” with signal being affected by the way the device is held.

“This is the most successful product launch in Apple’s history. Even so, we apologise to those customers who were turned away because we did not have enough supply,” said Jobs.

The hardware was announced earlier this month after a massive leak in April.

Thanks, MCV.

1. NGCes26294BIV

Nice, but VG related?

2. Razor

I’m surprised Jobs didn’t tell people how to hold the phone while he was at it.

3. Tourette syndrome guy

what’s this SSSSHHHHHHIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

4. Erthazus

That was massive.

Still, really overrated product in my opinion.

5. NGCes26294BIV

Got one, have you?

6. Boris Fett

Total flop.

7. Droid

So many better, cheaper devices around. I’m amazed in these economic times that people can afford Iphone contracts tbh. Do people buy it for the name, trying to be popular or something? Useless for games as you’d expect it to be. Having said that I do prefer the newer design of it over the old.

8. Erthazus

@5 No and not going to get one.

Why i need this if i can buy cheaper Pocket PC that will have more features in it than on IPhone 4? I’m not AppleFag, sorry.

@7 IPhone 4 buys:

1) AppleFags
    2) Glamour schoolgirls
    3) People that don’t even know what is beyond that Not so Amazing Iphone 4
    4) Guys that want to look cool

It’s just an awesome Steeve Jobs marketing campaign. He can sell small stuff easily.

9. 2plus2equals5

Price?

10. MushroomStamp

I can’t think of any phones that are better that are cheaper. It’s only $199 which is the same price as all other good phones. I personally use the HTC Incredible and love it. The iPhone is a good phone and hands down is the best phone for gaming. I can’t think of any. Blackberry’s suck and while Androids are great phones, they really don’t have games on them. Mainly because of the Marketplace Developer support.

Personally I think playing games on your phone is waste of battery.

11. onlineatron

Cool, did anyone buy me one?

12. 2plus2equals5

Wow, i don’ t know what’s new in iphone 4 but 199 dollars seems to be a good price!
    What happens jobs? No more thefts?

13. Droid

@9 For a contract one … about £900+ as you are locked into an 18 or 24month contract. Pay as you go will apparently be about £590. According to the carphonewarehouse anyway.
    It’s a staggering ripoff when you stop and compare it to other similar manufacturers device offerings.

14. metamorphic

@MushroomStamp & other misinformed people
    That’s not the actual price, but the contract price. You’re locked onto a 2-year contract with AT&T and so you don’t really truly “own” the phone, unless you get an unlocked version, which would be upwards to $600-700. Also, I disagree with the assertion that it’s supposedly “better” for games (Symbian has always held that moniker) – you haven’t even seen MeeGo, Nokia and Intel’s joint venture which will bring Intel processors into phones and revolutionize mobile phones for futures to come. Now THAT is what I’m excited about – the overrated Iphone merely disgusts me with its pandering and lack of substance.

15. mington

ESPgaluda 2 on ipod is one of the best gaes i’ve played this year.

i think iphone games have more right to be on here then kinect games

16. Bulk Slash

Lol, Pocket PC? I’ve had 6 of those over the years, starting with the first Compaq iPaq and they’ve all been increasingly useless and unstable. The iPhone was a breath of fresh air for me after years of Windows CE based rubbish. The writing was on the wall for Windows Mobile when HTC started hacking their own custom front ends to try and hide the 10 year old mess of a UI Microsoft were still shipping with it.

Windows Phone 7 definitely looks promising, they’ve finally fixed the multi-tasking so that it doesn’t just keep everything open and in memory until it all grinds to a halt.

I got my iPhone 4 last week (upgrading from a 3G), overall it’s pretty good, games like C&C Red Alert, Plants vs Zombies, Super Monkey Ball 2 and Phoenix Wright now run really well. The camera is excellent and the new high-res screen means I can read a webpage without even needing to zoom in (although I’ll probably need glasses if I keep doing that).

It does have some big failures, 32GB isn’t really enough storage, the signal problem is really annoying and Jobs’ insistence on not allowing Flash is getting ridiculous. Other than that, I’m really pleased with it.

I’d have looked at an Android phone, but there really isn’t much in the way of games on there compared to the iPhone. Google need to get more games and apps on their platform before they can really compete with the iPhone.

17. 2plus2equals5

@droid and metamorphic:
    Thanks for the info.
    jobs is always jobs, and apple fans continue to spend a lot of money happily :(

18. DaMan

@14 whilst Nokia did have some decent games ie from Idealabs and the such there were very few of them and the controls were disastrous. Apple did that right. also, it didn’t have a proper marketplace, and the closed N-Gage sdk didn’t help much either. in the end, it was a massive failure and wasted potential.

as for MeeGo – that’s a supposition. it will likely be too little too late for them. say, Android is a very nice alternative.

19. MushroomStamp

Nobody is misinformed. 99% of all phones are bought on Contract. 199 IS the price. SO WHAT.. unless you plan on carrier hoping who cares if you have a contract.. the 1% does. And since you can’t jump to other carriers with the iPhone it REALLY doesn’t matter. ALL phones are subsidized in the US and that is the way the phone market is here, like it or not.

You shouldn’t even be bringing up Symbian in this conversation. It’s such an outdated POS that’s why it’s failed miserable in losing half of it’s market share in last 2years. The newest symbian has been absolutely ripped about by every reviewer. Symbian isn’t even an option in the Smart phone world in the US anymore. 90% of market is between iOS, RIM, Android. Symbian is a joke.

20. Mike

I want one.

21. theevilaires

I don’t want one.

22. cookiejar

Loving mine so far, and not one dropped call.

23. Johnny Cullen

I’ve been looking for one for the past hour where I don’t have to wait for weeks on end for it.

Fission Mailed.

24. G1GAHURTZ

iPhone 4 is cool.

25. ShiroGamer

Ah ffs
    this is fuckin vg247 not fuckin gizmodo

26. sg1974

whats this got to do with videogames?

And this stuff about reception is funny. you could take any iphone, remove the elctronics and fill it up with rocks, and it would still do what it was bought for….

27. Blerk

Ironically, 1.7 was also the number of successful calls made. :-)

28. tenthousandgothsonacid

They’d have sold ten times that ammount if they’d had the stock…

29. Droid

Those poor Foxconn people can only work so fast, before they kill themselves.

30. DrDamn

@Droid
    What games consoles and phones do you have?

31. DrDamn

Anyone who thinks this sort of news has nothing to do with games has their head in the sand.

32. Droid

@30 A 360 and an HTC HD2.

33. DrDamn

Those poor Foxconn people probably had a hand in your 360 at least. They do the motherboards.

34. cookiejar

Ironically though, I probably spend more time playing games on my iPhone than I ever have on either a PSP or DS.

Like it or not, the iPhone is a gaming device, and a good one at that.

35. Droid

Yup but who cares. They get paid more for killing themselves anyways. That’s why they do it. That’s their choice.

36. Gheritt White