XCOM going FPS is “almost ideal”, says Pelling

Saturday, 26th June 2010 18:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

XCOM

2K’s Jonathan Pelling, creative director for XCOM, has said that revamping the strategy series as a first-person shooter seemed like the right thing to do.

Speaking with VG247′s Nathan Grayson at E3, Pelling told us that he was one of the original game’s “biggest fans” and that turning it into a shooter was “a great idea”.

“I sort of count myself as one of its biggest fans, so I guess I can understand why people might not think that a first-person shooter is a great idea,” he said. “But I think it actually is a great idea.

“And you said that it doesn’t look anything like [X-Com]. I agree with that. But it does feel a lot like it. It’s one of our primary objectives: that feeling. I loved playing the original game, and I loved the tension and the fear and mystery. All those things – the pillars of this game – it’s going to be a scary game. It’s a game where you’re in charge. You’re gonna make decisions. You’re gonna go out into the field and face really deadly enemies. You can never expect where it’s gonna come from, or what it’s gonna do next.

“So I think it’s really preserving the essence of what was great about the original game, while bringing it in a new and exciting way. I think the first-person shooter is almost ideal to get those diverse feelings across”.

Pelling also said that the “decision to go with the 50’s” for XCOM’s setting and look was not based on anything taken from BioShock 2, and is instead based on “its own merits”.

You can get the full interview with Pelling through the link up top.

XCOM’s slated for release in 2011 on PC and Xbox 360.

Watch a trailer for it here.

1. YoungZer0

“So basically we didn’t knew shit about strategy games so we made it a FPS.”

2. revolting

“I was a fan of the original so I thought changing everything about it and claiming it’s all fine because something as vague and abstract as curiosity and fear of the unknown is still there.”

How nice for you.

That would be like THQ saying “We’re fans of Warhammer 40k, so we decided to make the Space Marine game a side-scrolling platformer about a yellow bunny rabbit. It’s fine, because the sky is still blue.”

3. SwiftRanger

There is nothing wrong with an X-Com shooter, X-Com Alliance looked like the best FPS ever in its time, but it’s just that right now the FPS market is seriously oversaturated and the squadbased turnbased strategy genre… well, it could use a kick in the boots so to speak when you know the last good game was Jagged Alliance 2. The turnbased market is still there (hell, 2K Games should know with their Civilization franchise), you only need a publisher seeing the big gaping hole that could be filled there.

4. revolting

@3 It’s not just that it’s a shooter that irks people, though… it’s that has absolutely no resemblance to X-COM whatsoever. Certainly I’d prefer a new turn-based strategy, but good shooter that had the right spirit and feel would be absolutely fine, as long as it faithfully presented the world it purports to represent. FPS or otherwise, this game has absolutely nothing in common with X-COM. That he’s clinging to concepts as obvious and abstract as “You’re gonna go out into the field and face really deadly enemies. You can never expect where it’s gonna come from, or what it’s gonna do next.” as the things this game has in common with its supposed source material is pretty telling. There’s only one reason why this is an X-COM game – they have the rights to it, so why not cash in on some brand name nostalgia? Ironically, this game would probably resonate more comfortably with existing X-COM fans if they hadn’t used the license, and just called it something else altogether.

5. frostquake

So as an X-Com fan, I will just ignore the X-Com Dogma, and just look forward to a FPS. Maybe one day we will get a “true” X-Com experience but until then, I have another FPS to look forward to…Fine with me.