Microsoft wants to put RROD issues behind it

Saturday, 26th June 2010 22:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

new360

Albert Penello, senior director of global marketing for Xbox 360, has said that Microsoft wants to put the console’s hardware failure issues behind it.

Speaking with IndustryGamers, Penello said that the lack of rings on the slimmer 360 model is part of putting the RROD fiasco to rest.

“Well, you know it’s unfortunate and, believe me, it’s my least favorite thing to talk about, part of our history,” he said. “I think most people agree it’s become a little bit of an Internet meme now, just a thing to say.

“I feel bad for the customers that have had to go through the experiences that they’ve had, but, fundamentally, almost everybody will tell you that consoles purchased in the last two or three years, that problem doesn’t occur. It’s really people that had launch consoles and some of the early hiccups in getting those repaired and back out to people. But really, our focus over the last few years has been continuous improvement and getting the existing boxes rock steady.

“The box that you bought a year ago or even two years ago isn’t really having a problem. I mean, when you sell 40 million of something, the hard part is that any part of consumer electronics, automobiles, even DVD players, which are about as commoditized as you can get, the nature of manufacturing means there’s going to be a small handful that have problems.

“For the most part, the overall quality problem has been fixed for a couple of years now. This is an evolution of that work. The decision not to put the three red rings in it was just because it’s something I want to put behind us”.

Thus the dot instead of the ring, we suppose.

The slimmer 360 started shipping in the US last week during E3, and will hit Europe on July 16.

1. Phoenixblight

“almost everybody will tell you that consoles purchased in the last two or three years, that problem doesn’t occur.”

Uh huh tell that to my console that bought Nov 2009 that received not 1 RROD but 2. A little denialism there maybe?

2. Stephany Nunneley

Yeah, I had a problem (or two) with one that was not a launch model. Don’t get me started on the one that was. :(

3. The Hindle

LOL or tell that to my brother whos 360 just RROD as well Microsoft. Biggest mess up of all time is the RROD.

4. Pixelated

I still haven’t had one problem with my launch model, I also picked up an Elite shortly after it came out.. Same story, haven’t had one problem with it.

5. hitnrun

So the system continues to fail, you just can’t post LOLRRRROD on the internet.

Actually, it’s amazing that they didn’t do this sooner. It doesn’t make much sense for a company to have a sexy, easily recognizable pop-culture Fail Meter on the front of their machine, particularly on a piece of hardware that fails as often as the 360.

Heck, if they had done this from the beginning, they might have been able to leave us all with bricks!

6. JimFear666

@pixaleted you need to play more than 2hours/week :p

7. Stephany Nunneley

Fingers crossed, we haven’t had any issues with our Arcade model since we got it. I may have just jinxed us. :p

8. AceTheGamer23

The reason i stop liken microsoft xbox360 because of the 3ROD it happen to me with two different Xbox360 i brought thats why im more of a fan of PS3 i guess it was my fault not to get the warrantee but when u wont a game to play and u only got a lil extra cash thats what happen thats what lead me to go to school and learn how to fix hardware and even when i fix the problem it still occur on me but no worries i got my PS3 and its been good to me and they been have better exclusive lately and the Life span of PS3 can last longer they just using a lil bit of its graphic power and dont Forget IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING

9. trav

Six.

That’s how many consoles I went through before I managed to get one that seemed stable.

Six consoles. Six times I had to go back to Argos to get another one which were thankfully within the warrenty which reset with each console. The last time they didn’t stock 20GB consoles anymore and ended up getting a 60GB and money back.

But still, not the point. I’ve never had to return a console so many times because it kept breaking on me.

10. LordCancer

i dunno about it hasn’t been a problem for 2 or 3 years cause thats when I first got my falcon that died in 5 days. It wouldn’t boot past the 360 logo and the power supply was shit, high pitched noise. 2nd falcon died with an e74 less than a year after purchase. I have a jasper arcade unit now, I full expect it to die. maybe ill finally get the red ring!

11. Droid

I’ve only ever had one xbox 360 console. It’s worked fine for years. I think the rrod issue is mainly to do with people who don’t seem to realise that it can overheat if it’s not well ventilated, and I’d bet good money on that all/most of those who have had the rrod have kept their console horizontal instead of vertical most of the time, or run it for hours on end without a break, especially during summer times. Also know 4 other people who use it exactly the same way as me and none of them have had issues either and most use theirs loads.

12. Phoenixblight

Uh huh ignorant post because my console was vertical in a well ventilated area along with the AC on during the summers in Texas.

13. sg1974

“As with most things, you take out the human element and there aren’t any problems.”

WTF? If its the human element to blame why doesnt every other electronic device die in as many numbers? Just accept it as what it was: a failure of design and manufacture

14. Droid

@12+13 LOL. Take yourself out. No problems.

Well there’s loads of ways to look at it. Some are faulty, some break due to user error, and for some people they just claim it magically breaks without them doing anything. I’d put it down to there being plenty of people out there who just don’t look after things they own.

15. DrDamn

WTF has vertical/horizontal got to do with it? It is sold as working either way and that is what it should do.

2 failures here from well ventilated machines.

16. sg1974

@14, so youre saying 360 owners look after their 360s worse than the whole of humanity looks after virtually every other electronic device? My bro has had four 360s during the time he’s had a single PS3. Does he treat his 360 worse than his PS3?

Its strange how you cannot accept what even MS admit (in a roundabout way) was a massive cock up. There’s the “LOL” right there.

17. Galactic_Barret

Well, his name IS Droid.

18. Holesome

I’ve had so many problems with my five 360s over the years including my fair share of RROD’s but haven’t had RROD’s or significant problems over the past year and a half. The Elite has been running exceptionally well, the Jasper hasn’t had any problems, and the launch consoles, once they were warrantied have been stable since.

One key point to make is no console has failed an RROD or E73 while being plugged into my UPS. Many 360 problems are caused by source power problems suck as power bumps, brown-outs, noisy power, and faulty power.

360 times are getting better and hopefully the 360s will be sound, solid, and stable.

19. Galactic_Barret

I’ve always assumed that they replaced the RROD with the E74 error, as they basically diagnose the same problems.

Honestly, though, no one really cares. No one complains except in rant threads (like these), and its cleaned up the MS/American way: By throwing money at it. Consumers, the FCC, the press has called it even based on the rebate system, even fanboys have adapted past the situation, the only one talking about it anymore is MS. Why?

The proverbial elephant in the room, and the sole complainant is it’s date.

20. Anders

Bought a 360 a few months after release, and it works fine to this date. Will still upgrade for the bigger hard drive, the built-in Wi-Fi and to get rid of the fucking noise though.

21. Xuchilbara

LMFAO…. I know roughly about 18 people that would disagree with this… roughly around 3 times each. I would only disagree once… If you all catch my drift ;)

22. ivycrew707

Do any of u remember if your system was standing vertically when it happened?

23. Crysis

too little, too l8 Microsoft, you should not of rushed it out @ launch & fix the bugs with the console once you realized what caused it, the ONLY reason Microsoft offered the 3 year warranty is because they legally had no other choice

24. NiceFellow

I bet they want to put it behind them.

For those saying they’ve had one from launch – well done, but you’re missing the point.

The 360 had a failure rate that was high for consumer electronics. That’s what matters. I saw reports of 33% failure. If you’ve had one from launch, well done, you’re in the 67% that didn’t fail.

But anything much above 2% to 3% is an issue and there is no doubt the 360 was way above that – and in fact really the console and MS should have been punished even more than they were, but gamers are a forgiving lot if they can get their fix so MS managed to solider through the problem.

I don’t believe the issue ever left 360, though, to the extend he implies. They did get the fail rate down, but even recent surveys all point to it remaining higher than it should and that for sure it remains higher than PS3/Wii.

For me the question is will the Slim finally put the rate where it should be, or is it simply an exercise in diversion with the signature signs removed.

25. Pyrix

I’ve had my 360 repaired twice, once for disc drive failure (which cost me £60) and the second time for RROD (but thankfully it was still in the warranty). However, that warranty ran out in March this year and it got RROD again this May. They told me I would have to pay £81 to fix it, so I was thinking of just buying a slim. I had heard about the X-clamp fix, and knowing I had nothing to lose by opening the console and voiding the warranty I didn’t have, tried it and it worked.

If you see the state of the CPU and GPU’s thermal paste after around 2 years of heavy use (assuming they replace it when they repair them, otherwise more), you wouldn’t be surprised they fail. Barely any coverage of the actual chip, most of it had hardened and moved to the sides.

26. frostquake

Square Blue Screen Of Death

SBSOD

27. Droid

@16 No. I’ll add more detail just for you. The 360s can overheat much easier than a ps3, and as this has been reported for the past 4 years it’s the source of 65% of the RROD errors, some people either don’t realise this or don’t take any steps to prevent it. For the other 35% of rrod errors then some of those arent preventable, but the majority can be. Obviously newer consoles are modified to help out with this problem, but it doesn’t remove it entirely. It just takes common sense to avoid it.

28. polygem

I had a launch one… Rrod after a year or so. Quick replacement and 3 months free xbl code. Never had any problems then. Upgraded to elite sometime later. No problems. Ps3 slim fucked up after a few month as well. Got a replacememt but took ages and received a different refurbished console with some small scratches on the back. Not so cool. Also one psp fucked up. Received a new one with some dead pixels. So my personal experience is different. No complaints about ms consoles and service. Always handle my consoles very carefully.

29. LePlatypus

LOL Microsoft fail, If it’s true that 20M Xbox 360′s were sold before March 2010 then that means there are at least 20M xbox 360 running with shitty rushed hardware

30. itwa5medicks

@29 yeah 20m future customers!!! lol

LOL!!!!!!!!

I wouldnt be the least bit surprised to find out that the failures are in fact engineered on purpose.

I bought the original xbox and had the ring of death within a month. That was the last time I played xbox.

My ps2 doesnt even HAVE screws in it, as it was taken apart to be cleaned so many times, it actually will burn grooves on disks like records if you play too long…BUT IT STILL WORKS!!

Also the fact that you HAVE to pay to play online makes me not purchase a 360 every time I have extra cash to blow. Its just wrong, and very greedy for a company that owns the world.

BTW, why havent they done anything about this until now??????

Gee maybe because theyre $100,000,000,000,000 dollars richer because of that, “sorry” “my bad” as they smirk.