Report: Online Pass will curb used game sales

Friday, 25th June 2010 19:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

usedgames

Analyst group Cowen and Company suggests in a new report that “online pass” from EA may be a way for the industry to curtail used game sales.

In the report, used games sales are blamed for a 20 percent drop in Xbox 360 and PS3 sales in 2009, compared to PS2/Xbox sales in 2003, and suggests that “online pass” could help rebound the market within 18-24 months.

The userbase in 2003 for PS2 and Xbox combined was around 30 million units, moving 106.9 million units of software, according to NPD. In 2009, that figure was roughly the same for the PS3 and 360 userbase, but sales only came in at around 85.5 million for software.

Doug Creutz of Cowan and Company estimated that the average second month sales for new software on PS/Xbox has fallen by 62 percent since 2001. Using Final Fantasy XIII as one example, Cowan said the drop-off was at 93 percent in sales – with Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and Halo Wars also above 90 percent in drop-off.

Used game sales were noted as the core reason, but “stubbornly high hardware price points” were to blame for the drop-offs as well.

This will be remedied, said the report, once systems like online passes are implemented, and will increase new game sales along with digital content once it’s “grudgingly accepted by both GameStop and consumers”.

Thanks, GI.biz.

1. AHA-Lambda

what happened to this “not” being about used sales again? Eh, Riccitello?

2. ivycrew707

Gonna hurt Gamefly as well

3. spiderLAW

Could it also be the fact that games for the consoles are far more expensive now?
    Could it also be that we are in a Recession?

This online pass thing is garbage. I wont buy from any game company that goes along with it.

4. MushroomStamp

oh yeah, I use gamefly… didn’t even think about that.. shit! Guess I just have to be pickier in my game choices instead of giving a game a chance to earn my money.

5. ivycrew707

Or that the kids playing them then have grown up, have kids, and the kids now days are told by everybody not to sit in front of the tv and waste your brain on video games, or worse become murderers playing GTA4……@4 gamefly is great….I’ve saved alot of money not buying games I thought I would like using gamefly

6. revsoul

Report: Online Pass will curb used game sales

All together now..1…2…3,! “NO DUH!”

(Eric Cartman voice) -”seriously you guys, seriously”

7. PwnedHaxor

Screw you guys, Im going home.

8. pha1r

Well I hardly play online, so its a win for me if used games go even lower.

9. bytemap

Could it be that they increased the price of software by $20 or so and decreased the amount of overall quality to match that steep price point.

People go to used game sales because of MSRP prices are too steep to begin with. However some are willing to shell out the cash for it, but not enough to consider good sales by their “profit margin.”

blah blah blah, greed. If they want numbers and more software sales, decrease MSRP price and see that number sore. DUH!!

10. frostquake

Since I am not a Big Onliner myself this will only help me as Gamestop Conference Calls have suggested that if this becomes a big issue they will start discounting the Online Pass Fee on top of the Used Game Price, so it is a win for Single Players like me.

11. LordCancer

*shrugs* i just wait till i can get games new for cheap anyhow. like dead space for 10 bucks on ea store. the only online pass i’ll ever buy is xbox live and my limit for that pos is 30 bucks and my patients for it is running out.

12. itwa5medicks

These bigshots LOVE to shoot themselves in the feet!

Do they actually TRY to fuck up their good thing?

I will give up gaming if this keeps up!

$900 this year alone spent on gamming crap…..