Inafune: Gaming’s largely a western market

Friday, 25th June 2010 15:08 GMT By Joe Anderson

inafune

Capcom’s Kenji Inafune has said that gaming’s becoming largely a western market, which is why Capcom is “fighting the good fight,” in order to get its games to work.

Speaking to Videogamer at E3, Inafune emphasizes the point, saying that unless Japanese developers stand up and be counted, it could be too late.

“Every year that I come to E3, year in and year out, the one thing I’ve noticed is that it seems like the Japanese game developer share seems to be getting smaller and smaller,” he said. “If you look at the major titles, they’re now primarily western.

“If you look at all the different signs and all the billboards, most of those are western titles. A lot of the key announcements are also western titles. I think to myself sometimes, if we keep on this course, the Japanese gaming market will disappear totally.”

“We can’t just rely on our own skill, our own Japanese developer skill and know-how, to steer us through this dark time,” he said. “It’s going to have to come through collaborative efforts and co-operation. It’s our US staff, our European staff, working closely with them.

“Of course we are working with a lot of different western developers as well. It’s being able to share their knowledge and information, to collaborate with them on a very in-depth level, that’s going to allow us to grow as a company and to be able to understand how the market is changing in the west, and allow us to be competitive in those markets. That’s going to be essential for us.”

Inafune’s comments are in a similar vein to ones he made during TGS last year, when he lamented that the Japanese gaming market “was finished”.

Capcom’s next high profile title is Dead Rising 2, which will be released on August 31 in the US and September 3 in the UK on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. AHA-Lambda

“As for how Capcom Japan is going to make itself stand out from the western crowd, Inafune said it will not only be relying on it’s own skill, but those of its branches in the west.”

ahem…i’ll tell you how to stand out. Make another GOOD resident evil game!

2. DrDamn

I think that whilst they can perhaps learn a lot from Western development practises (Polyphony need to take a visit to Turn 10 for example) – it is essential that Japanese devs keep their Japanese identity in the games and styles. Evolve but don’t Westernise.

3. Blerk

Japanese development seems to have gone two ways, though. The ones that think they can compete in the West appear to be trying their very hardest to be more ‘Western’ and generally coming across as a poor imitation. The ones that think they can’t compete in the West have become even more insular and are producing stuff that’s now entirely unmarketable outside of Japan.

That sweet spot of ‘obviously Japanese but endearingly so’ appears to have been lost somewhere in the generational switch. Which makes me a bit sad, tbh – I had mostly Japanese games last generation and I barely have any this gen.

4. Telepathic.Geometry

I disagree Blerkie, I think Nintendo still knows how. That probably sounds very fanboyish, but I really think so…

5. Crysis

Make a good Dino Crisis game, hasn’t been one since 2003 yet that one was shockingly bad, i dont care wheather or not Regina is in it, aslong as it’s a twist on modern reality, i’d like if the ideas were simular to the first one, except much larger & much more open & greater diversity on everything, i’d love to see atleast 20+ different species of dinosaurs, even vegetarions would be nice, keep the puzzles in aswell, twas fun finding out everything, but make the puzzles less complicated in easier difficulties, i could never find the answer to one of them :P

6. Blerk

Ah, I was really talking about the third-parties, Tele. Nintendo can obviously still do it, and so can Sony.

7. asdfasdf

Nintendo

8. Herlock

Go to the TGS then, E3 its a US Conf in Occident!
    Japan prefer potable and Cell Phone, that’s life…

9. Freek

Platinum Games seem to have a good grasp on things. Bayonetta and Vanquish. Both verry silly japanese games, but also solid shooters that apeal to a western crowd.

10. DaMan

I assume Blerk implied ‘generally’. Platinum are an exception.

11. Freek

I agree, just giving an example on how they should be doing it, rather then how they are doing it now, wich is;

“Lets make everything Monster Hunter, the West is gonna catch up sooner or later, right?”

No, we are not, we play WoW.