Hayes: 3D is “very exciting” but could make you nauseous

Friday, 25th June 2010 15:57 GMT By Joe Anderson

mikehayes

SEGA’s Mike Hayes has said in a recent interview that he’s very excited about 3D technology, although he points out that it has its bad points too.

Speaking during E3 to GI.biz, Hayes said 3D was “very exciting,” although he was quick to point out the downside.

“I was talking to someone playing MotorStorm who pointed out that you do get nauseous after about 15 minutes with motion sickness, which is a fundamental issue about how much 3D you can consume,” he said. “However, it’s marvelous technology”.

On a more positive note, Hayes was happy to admit that 3D is easy enough to implement into games, meaning there is a good chance SEGA will throw its full weight behind it.

“The good news, as a developer, is that to implement 3D it’s relatively cheap, and a lot of us can do that relatively painlessly so you’ll find that we’ll be included at some point, and we’ll announce our 3D titles so we’ll be there at the party,” said Hayes.

“Having played a couple of games, it really is good, but you could not sit down for two hours with your glasses on and play an intense shooter. I just think that would be impossible. How that is managed is going to be interesting.”

3D is certainly big news at the moment, with Sony particularly pushing the technology with all its might, as seen at E3.

1. Blerk

It doesn’t make me nauseous. I go cross-eyed and get a headache long before that.

2. DrDamn

Heh. No comment. :)

3. Psychotext

I find the polarised glasses a bit better than the active shutter type, but with either I still find myself needing to give my eyes a rest after a while.

4. Gadzooks!

I’m fucking sick of glasses-based 3D and I’ve not even seen a 3DTV let alone used one.

5. Erthazus

@4 Go to Sony Center. There are always a lot of people who tries this tech and excited about it.
    by the way, LG and Sony already selling it’s 3DTV’s. Yesterday i saw a 3DTV commercial from LG already.

3D is coming and by the end of the year or next march i will have one :D

6. Bulk Slash

I had an Nvidia graphics card about 8 years ago that came with shutter glasses and a driver to enable 3D in most DirectX and OpenGL games and that used to give me a headache. It didn’t take long for the glasses to break either.

I got a massive headache after seeing Avatar too, so I suspect 3D will only be fun in short bursts for me.

I’m hoping the 3DS will be the 3D tech that is the exception…

7. Gadzooks!

No need. I wont be investing in 3DTV’s or glasses. Dont need them, dont want them, and I dont want my games running in half resolution with reduced effects either.

The reduced quality in games is too much of a sacrifice for a fad that will die off quickly.

8. Crysis

@7, is it really reduced quality if it’s being displayed in full 3d? if so, what exactly do you mean by ‘quality’? the game remains the exact same, must be Frames Per Second that you’re talking about, not that it truely matters, i doubt anyone would truely notice the difference by much…

9. Erthazus

“my games running in half resolution with reduced effects either”

Lol What?

10. Dannybuoy

I find it funny how many doubters and outright Luddites there are regarding 3D tech. I for one am excited by 3D. It is a natural progression in visual technology and I think we’re going to see some very impressive results very soon. I guess if you’re not interested then fine, you’re welcome to stay in the past. Oh and if you don’t know who the Luddites were then google them. I think we should be embracing advancements not knocking them until we have really tried them.

11. DrDamn

If you have an existing game running at 30FPS then you have to lose something somewhere to get it to produce 60FPS. One simple solution a lot of games will use it to reduce resolution and effects to meet the requirements.

On the flipside the 3D effect is a nice one to have, it also can negate the need for some of the other effects. Lower resolution on a 3D display is also not as bad as a 2D display as your eyes do some nice gap filling for you. Also you need to be more consistent with hitting the frame rate as tearing and slowdown look a lot worse in 3D.

12. polygem

But hes correct about it. 3 d comes with the price of lower res. Im interested in 3 d as well. Always am in new tech. Especially when gaming related. But 3 d will need more time to become more than a nice gimmick. Like 4 or 5 years…I dont think its clever to buy a 3 d tv now just to buy a new, much better, much cheaper one in a few years. You can do that of course if you want. I wont. Excited about 3ds anyway…

13. DrDamn

I am looking forward to it too, it adds a lot to immersion. However I can also see that for those not looking to update their TV it’s an irrelevance. It’s nice, but it’s not £900 nice. If I wasn’t planning on a new TV soon I wouldn’t be interested either.

Edit: Also for others like Gadzooks it’s not an effect they want to sacrifice other things for. It does come at a cost. It’s a preference as to whether you feel that cost is worth it.

14. dtyk

@8 I don’t know about the resolution but I know that at least for the nvidia shutter glasses your FPS halves. The image, however, looks somewhat sharper in 3d mode. That might just be an optical illusion though.

It is also true that I can’t play any shooters in 3d (EXCEPT l4d2, that is awesome)

15. Samuel

You’re talking about looking at the picture of the guy’s face at the top of the article, right?