Rumor: BioWare holding two-day closed Beta for SWTOR this weekend

Thursday, 24th June 2010 22:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

swtor

Over the official Star Wars: The Old Republic forum, loads of folks are chatting about receiving and not receiving closed Beta invites from BioWare to test out the game this weekend only.

According to the forum thread, only 100-200 invites were sent out for the June 25-27 Beta, and those that received one were put under a strict NDA.

Granted, if the news is true someone will squeal. Someone always does.

BioWare has yet to close the thread, and considering how stringent the moderators are about misinformation landing on the forums – we’re cautiously optimistic that there may be some credence to it.

Last week during E3, we had a chance to chat with the game’s writing director, Daniel Erickson, who said that he was unsure of BioWare’s plans for a test, but “at some point” it had to “open it up and let far more people play it” than what could be found at EA.

Still, we’ve contacted BioWare for confirmation of it, and until we hear back from someone, file this news away as a rumor.

In the meantime, if any of you received an invite, let us know.

Thanks, Massively.

1. killercow

With all the info around and the lack of lock on this thread it seems legit. But there’s one problem though, i’m not in XD

2. Phoenixblight

We aren’t supposed to let you know. duh!

3. Stephany Nunneley

According to some, I don’t have the NDA because I WASN’T INVITED, it doesn’t say you can’t “say” you in the Beta, you just can’t say anything “about” it.

/cries in the corner

4. killercow

Yep Stephany is right in every beta you can say that the program has started and that you are in but nothing more. Otherwise it’s against the Non Disclosure Agreement. And if you see that post you’ll know that they will be pretty serious about any leak.
    But seriously though i will contact bioware, i’m sure my mail was lost on the way…

5. Phoenixblight

I wouldn’t want to test it not yet atleast with it still be a bug fest and still in developement. With the betas I have been in ie Wrath, Warhammer, AOC, Champions. I would just want to wait til release. Infact I gave my Cata beta invite to a friend of mine because I would rather wait.

6. Droid

@4 In some NDA’s there are clauses saying that you’re not even allowed to tell people that you’re in their beta, unless they are in the beta with you. APB had this clause for the earliest beta testers. I don’t think their latest agreement has the clause though.

I just wish I was in this swtor beta. :(

7. loki

no thx

8. frostquake

Put this on the PS3, and No BS about People not playing it on the PS3 because of mouse and keyboard. Someone has got to be the first to release an MMO Game Combo with Mouse and Keyboard packed in. And don’t say people won’t buy it. If People shell out $199.99 for a game and some toys and a comic then they will shell out for a Game, Mouse and Keyboard, especially if the Mouse and Keyboard were special editions with a design that represented the game!

9. Stephany Nunneley

@8 Why? When you can easily hook your PC up to the widescreen using a wireless mouse and keyboard?

/runs out of the room