Platinum: PS3′s a “sports car,” 360′s a “car that everybody’s driving”

Thursday, 24th June 2010 13:24 GMT By Patrick Garratt

vanquish2

This won’t end well.

Platinum’s Atsushi Inaba, producer on speedy shooter Vanquish, has highlighted differences between PS3 and 360 “architecture,” saying the former has more grunt while the latter offers “more versatility”.

“The PS3 is kind of like a sports car that’s very high-performance and specific in its usage, whereas the 360 is more like a car that everybody’s driving,” said Inaba, speaking to VG247 at E3.

“It doesn’t have the same range as a sports car, but it has more versatility.”

Vanquish impressed many at E3 with its sci-fi knee-sliding and sheer mentalness. The game’s being developed on PS3 as a lead platform to avoid problems with porting. The move comes after Platinum and Sega were heavily criticised for what was perceived to be a substandard PS3 version of Bayonetta.

“It’s about adapting your game to those two sorts of different frameworks,” Inaba added.

“That’s where we’re focusing. Fundamentally, the gameplay experience itself is the exact same game.”

Vanquish releases for PS3 and 360 later this year. Read the full interview through the link.

1. DeSpiritusBellum

He’d have to say that, wouldn’t he?

“Most people don’t buy our console – Oh I know, let’s compare it to a sports car!”

More like a chandelier if you ask me.

It looks nice for rich people who can afford them, but it doesn’t really do very much.

2. Razor

I think people know this don’t they?

3. Erthazus

Vanquish as a better PORT for PS3 confirmed.

Console wars starts in 3…2…1… BOOM

PS: But seriousily, i don’t care. They are both shitty consoles and because of them there are a lot of consolised franchises with outdated 2006 graphics.
    Compared to gameplay mechanics like from Witcher (RPG) or Total War (strategy) games on both consoles looks like a kiddy grade at best, but they are fun at least and fun is never old. Nuff Said.

Except gems like Valkyria Chronicles or Demon’s Souls. I’m surprised that consoles have these games, but they sold for 1 million more or less.

4. NiceFellow

This explains the Kinect car ads though, doesn’t it?

On topic he’s using an unfortunate analogy to try and explain the PS3 having a bit more power but needing to be driven (coded) for very specifically vs 360 as being a bit more all purpose and easier to drive (i.e. easier to code for with better middleware).

Not a bad analogy apart from the obvious connotations of a sports car being superior – that’s where the trouble will start.

5. Gskyace

A “car that everybody’s driving”?

The same is that cars have red lights,too.

Otherwise,even a bicycle will never be that easy to crash.

6. pha1r

What? You do realise that Platinum said that, not Sony.

7. Kerplunk

The analogy falls over when you factor in MPG and road tax.

8. daytripper

dont care for two reasons

1) i own both

2)the my console is better than yours argument is for kids

plus this game looks pretty good running on the xbox so i doubt any 360 only owners should freak out over this

9. Gadzooks!

I guess the lurching mess that was Bayonetta PS3 was their first ever attempt at driving with stick-shift, eh? :P

10. Gadzooks!

Devs feel the need to justify their failings in public and pander to the hurt parties at the same time.

Better for Platinum to shut up and produce the goods.

Well said!

11. Kaufer

@9 Sega were the ones who did Bayonetta PS3.

12. ExclusivesMostly

@1: STFU. Try understanding what’s said and by who before you start talking sh*t

Update: @6-Agreed!

13. daytripper

@9the Bayonetta PS3 port wasnt that bad imo, i played both versions and i couldnt help but feel it was way too overblown in the gaming media and the 360/PS3 fanboy cretins.(not saying you are one of them cretins btw more like the N4G crowd).

yes it was inferior to the 360 build but not by staggering results oh and the achievements annoyed me.

14. mathare92

Come on Pat. We have enough fodder for fanboy battles as it is.

EDIT: TBH that analogy really is inaccurate.I mean “everyday cars” are supposed to be easier to maintain than sports cars. And clearly that’s not the case. :D

15. DeSpiritusBellum

@6 I was mostly joking. I think it’s pretty childish to bicker about which console is the best in the eyes of the universe. It’s like argueing over whose dad can take whose.

Personally I don’t see any major differences. But that analogy was pants. Anyone knows that a sports car is more desirable, but the fact is that the differences between the two so far have been marginal.

16. Filofax

@9 Like daytripper I got to play both versions of Beyonetta and have no bloody idea where you got the “lurching mess that was Bayonetta PS3″ from.

17. Blerk

The PS3 is like a console. The 360 is like a slightly different console. :-)

18. Gadzooks!

Ah yes of course, my mistake I had forgotten.

I should retract my statement about Platinum producing the goods then, as technically Bayonetta on 360 was pretty impressive. I didnt like the game personally, and couldnt be bothered to finish it, but the amount of geometry, effects and particles it shifted was quite incredible, and at a mostly constant 60fps.

Really? Half the framerate, less geometry, fewer effects and all with an added layer of blur. Sega really didnt try hard at all with the PS3 port. (Note: not blaming the machine)

19. OlderGamer

Seems like the analogy is pretty solid if ya ask me.

Like Day said, I own both too, but it is true I game on xb360 more.

20. mojo

im wondering who hes gonna tell that?
    i mean, even the least interested gamer should know that by now..
    its not hard to tell whos exclusives outperform the other ones on the technical side..

it was said like a million times allready, since bothz consoles got announced..#

older: i guess this is at least a bit down to local preferences.

21. daytripper

@18 yeah i stand by what i said, i’m not saying it was just as good as the 360 version…it wasnt mate but from the few hours I played of the PS3 version I wasnt looking at it and thinking “god this is bloody terrible in comparison” it was in my honest opinion a situation that was made out to be more than what it was, like Final Fantasy XIII…superior cut scenes yes thanks to blu ray but from what I could tell the actual ingame stuff which i cared a lot more for wasnt as inferior on 360 as it was made out again in my opinion not saying fact.

@19 yes i game more on the 360 too, i just think its the better overall gaming console and has all the games i want to play but I would never take a shit on Sonys machine, I think its great especially the Uncharted series and Warhawk.

22. Moonwalker1982

I own both consoles as well, but i’m mostly on my 360. I buy all the multiplatform games on the 360 as well, for several reasons. One of them being that all my friends are on Live, and dont own a PS3. And several other reasons too. I got my PS3 for them exclusives.

23. The Hindle

I game equally on both, if i buy one multiplatform game for my 360 the next ill buy for my Ps3 that way no console is gathering dust.

24. DaMan

Bayonetta was visually impressive yeah, tech wise there was nothing remarkable about it. they have a brilliant artist. well, unless you believe craploads of quads on screen is a technical achievement. it’s an Xbox360, not an iphone.

also, if ps3 is to 360 what’s sports car is to regular ones, then xbox was a spaceship compared to ps2. whatever, just make a competent product on both consoles this time around.

25. itsucks

Bayonetta says hi platinum.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

26. Syrok

The PS3 version of Bayonetta wasn’t made by Platinum. ;)

27. theevilaires

Gadzooks! you poor kid still in denial after proof after proof :D Isn’t Uncharted 2 enough for proof for you kid.

Stop running around here trying to be manager of XBOX360 damage control :D (and just when I thought Psychotext retired that position another challenger enters the fight :P )

28. sennasnit

itsucks – yousuck

29. polygem

No midlife crisis no need for a sports car for me. But its true the 360 is my everyday allrounder console while the ps3 is an exclusives only console. Dont know if thats a compliment for the 360 or the ps3 though…

30. aprotosis

@27 The only thing Uncharted 2 proved is that games not made using the Unreal engine look different from games made with the Unreal engine. When Halo:Reach comes out and looks ‘better’ than Uncharted 2, that will also prove effectively nothing.

31. theevilaires

“When Halo:Reach comes out and looks ‘better’ than Uncharted 2, that will also prove effectively nothing”.

It may not prove anything then but it definitely proves you smoke crack now. Drugs and the internet don’t mix my friend it could get you in a lot of trouble :D

Halo reach looking better than Uncharted 2….. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Funniest thing I read all day besides the name Gadzooks!

32. Erthazus

“When Halo:Reach comes out and looks ‘better’ ”

“Halo:Reach comes out and looks ‘better’ ”

“Halo:Reach looks ‘better’ ”

“looks ‘better’”

“‘better’”

*Blown Away*

I thought every multiplatform game looks better then Halo:Reach. Hmmm….

33. LordCancer

These kinda statements are fairly ridiculous. You expect them from platform exclusive developers shining one off for there big papa. I don’t understand what he achieves by alienating a potential customer. *shrugs*

@Blerk you crack me up man.

34. spiderLAW

Agreed.
    Gadzooks! is right. They need to just focus on making the best game they can and stop worrying about fan service. Just make the game brilliant and leave it at that.

PS3 is more powerful of course but 360 is still hangin in there with multiplat games.

35. spiderLAW

Hahahaha! you werent serious right?
    Were you?
    Halo Reach will never look as good as Uncharted 2. It’s just not possible and had you played the Beta you know that it is barely maybe even going to match Gears of War 1 at best.
    Halo 3 Beta looked like crap and everyone knew that so bungie said “It’s just the beta, it will look loads better when the finished product is released.” Then the finished Halo 3 product was released and it looked exactly like the Beta.
    The only game coming to 360 that has any chance of looking as good or close to as good as Uncharted 2 is Gears of War 3.

Anyways…

36. 2plus2equals5

“This won’t end well”
    Agree!

37. Galactic_Barret

I see nothing wrong here. How is anyone getting upset?

Also, I’m not poo-pooing Reach or Halo, but Bungie hasn’t even made an HD game yet. Lets not jump the sharks, seals, and all manner of sea creatures with such an outlandish statement; It looks great, lets leave it at that.

38. OlderGamer

“older: i guess this is at least a bit down to local preferences.

esp. the box offers a lot more to americans then to eurpeans in my eyes. (alltough the psn isn horrible to europeans at times when it comes to store content)”

I just wanted to add that I feel it also comes down to internet and online. Most of the gamers I know personialy won’t even look at a game unless it has a solid online offering. Seems to me that many Euro couldn’t careless about MP and Online.

But yea I agree demographics prolly play as large as a roll between hardware sales as anything else. I just like what xbLive offers. By comparasion PSN seems flat. But like so many seem to saying, almost all of my friends are on xbLive.

39. spiderLAW

@ Myself,

You might have gotten carried away there. Next time just say, yeah okay sir and leave it at that…

On the other hand, have you seen Halo Reach? I think you have, and you might just enjoy it when it comes out, so dont down talk it.

What?

40. G1GAHURTZ

The PS3 is like a lemon.

The 360 is like a lime.

If you get both, you can drink sprite.

…or 7up.

41. daytripper

@41 what about the local piss drinkers in the orkney islands?

42. Gadzooks!

@TEA

Another barely legible post with no sense or meaning in it. Why do you bother posting such irrelevant shit?

No worries though, the ignore button will shut your mouth up real soon.

43. Erthazus

@41 Post FAIL :D

OG

“Americans will for the foreseeable future most likely prefer xbox, simply coz its an us product, europeans will most likely prefer Playstaion, coz europe is Playstationland since day one.”

Not true. PS2 outsold Xbox 1 by 25-30 million in USA.

“While I honestly can’t understand what the draw is sitting in a dark room alone playing with yourself – hey, I am happily married! I do like Mulitplayer games a lot. SP just doesn’t do it for me anymore.”

you really think that singleplayer experiences are because for sitting in one room alone? Same goes to multiplayer.
    They are just two different modes and thats it.
    I enjoy singleplayer games because of Story and great script moments, but i enjoy multiplayer and social gaming like MMORPG too.

44. Gadzooks!

“PS2 outsold Xbox 1 by 25-30 million in USA.”

Irrelevant to the topic. Try PS3 and 360 data instead. Oh, and they both pale in comparison to Wii.

45. Erthazus

@44 It’s not irrelevant. I’m speaking about the past example.
    PS3 started bad, one year after xbox 360 with 599 USD. Of course it did not well in US.

So if in the next generation Sony or whatever console manufacturer will make right decisions at the start, then no matter what US boxes or JP boxes it will sell in US.

46. mojo

older:

Well i dont know if thats teh case for europes in genereal, but in my case u nailed it a bit.
    I dont care much for mp content. Doesnt mean i dont like online, but if i play online then i want to do that with a bit of seriousness, what means im gonna play a game straight for years..
    happend with counterstrike
    But a console – maybe seems strange – for me was always and most likely will go on to appear to me as THE Singleplayerplatform.
    Which does not mean im locking in the dark room. I quite never play alone. Its just that i experience a well designed Singelplayer as the more satisfying experience. U get a game, u start it, u push the hero trough it until u see the last sequence. And then thats it. I quite never play a game twice. This gen there where only 3 titles i replayed (coz i found them extremely good and had the ambition to beat it on hardest) which where killzone 2, dead space and god of war 3 (couldnt beat gow3 on chaos. fucking firecerb+satyr).

But xbox’ dominacne at online gaming cant be denied. maybe this plays a role as well. Until now i just found mp most satisfying on the good old homecomputer.
    But i dont see the dominacne per se. sure the box has the superior backend, but what makes the majority of the supremecy ist the headset shipped with every box.
    On PS3 u find MP Games often in complete chaos coz noone is coordinating anything. I guess this is different on live.

47. The Hindle

“On PS3 u find MP Games often in complete chaos coz noone is coordinating anything. I guess this is different on live”.

@46 erm no its just a load of foul mouthed kids shouting Nigger down the mike imo

48. daytripper

@47 you just say you’re going on youtube along with his pals, gamertags the lot. shut most of them up.:-)

49. G1GAHURTZ

The free headset makes a big difference, but right now, XBL is more competitive in terms of online play, so you get the more serious players using it and therefore ‘organising’ things well, IMO.

Just pick any mp game and search for pro vids of online gameplay.

Based on what I’ve seen, I’d definitely say that the vast majority of pro gameplay vids are on 360. There are a few on PS3, but comparitively much less.

I think it’s just the way that online console gaming has gone right now. If they really want to prove themselves against the best, the better players have to do it on 360.

50. Gadzooks!

MAG:

“MEDIC! MEDIC! MEDIC! MEDIC YOU FUCKING FAGS!!!”

Nice attempt at a stereotype but twats with microphones play on both boxes mate.

51. The Hindle

Oh i know that, he said XBL was more coordinating yet 90% of any online fps is name calling and kids like i said. Thats why i like L4D so much shows the true strengths of Xbox Live. When i play MW i never use a mike as i play a game to win not talk.

52. daytripper

@51 as much as i like L4D and its online I cant help but think its system would be better for something sci-fi or army rather than zombies, i found it funny at first but the boomers echo of clogging up bile can get on your nerves after 23,479 time.

there some bad twats on PSN aswell, Warhawk has plenty and they use head sets with “killedyamom” especially being a cry baby if you are not as good as him in the same team (he finishes near the bottom by the way) and this guy is the worst i’ve heard in my whole online experience

53. spiderLAW

Poor foul mouth sports are on every online community.

I use both Xbox Live Gold and PSN and i still dont see what the fuss is all about. They are pretty much the same to me. Maybe i’m missing something?

54. Gadzooks!

You wont see much coordinated play when matchmaking on either platform. The cordinated games are played by community gamers and they will usually use invite-only lobbies.

There are plenty of community gaming websites out there, but certainly the communities I have been a part of have favoured the 360 because that is where features like persistent parties and cross-game chat are most useful.

55. The Hindle

Then i dare say sites like Sixthaxisis or Psu, Playstation communities basically wouldnt miss cross firmware voice chat either yet game perfectly.

56. Gadzooks!

Obviously it’s not essential, and its more than likely the guys on those sites would game on PS even if you had to use beancans and string as comms. ;)

I’m only speaking from experience. I’ve found the feature extremely useful but obviously people can get by without it just fine.

57. Galactic_Barret

I’ve always wondered how CGC was useful. I’ve never used it the times I’ve used it, friends I know have never used it and I would categorize them as typical 360 owners. What is it useful for?

58. MushroomStamp

Absolutely the Chat in XBL is what maxes the 360 the better multiplayer platform. Games hands down are more fun and play better when you have good communication between players. From my personal experience, it’s RARE that I run across foul mouthed kids. I rarely even meet any kids online, just about everyone I meet are adults. Maybe it’s the matchmaking service, I don’t know. It’s frustrating me for me play my PS3 online for multiplayer games because the vast majority do not have communications which leads to less cooperative gameplay. On XBL I meet maybe 1 out of a 100 that DON”T use a mic, on the PS3 it’s more like 1 in 50 that DO. MS did a smart thing including a communicator device with every system. Good communication always makes teamplay more effective. Single player games are good if you don’t want to talk. When I play on the PS3 with people that don’t have a mic it’s just everyone doing their own thing with very little coordination and it just feels “less”.

59. spiderLAW

Nothing that i know of. I guess its cool for people who cant keep their mouth shut for an hour or 2 a day. Kinda like cell phones, people who have unlimited minutes for their personal phone. Makes sense for business, but otherwise none.
    I guess it would be helpfull for cheating.

60. spiderLAW

What does any of that have to do with “Cross Game Chat”?

Yes thats whats great about Xbox live, but i wouldnt say its Xbox Live itself that makes that experience better. it’s the people and the headsets. Well, the people for lucky people like you. I run into a lot of adults on XBL but they are just as bad.

heres one example while playing COD4:
    1st guy : “Fuck all you losers. Playing like little bitches.”
    2nd: “Dude, grow the fuck up!”
    1st guy again: “Grow up, dumbshit how old are you?”
    2nd guy again: “How old are you?”
    1st guy again: “I’m 26″
    2nd guy: “I’m 29 so shut the fuck up kid!”

i just sat there quietly laughing to myself.

61. theevilaires

The PS3 is like Olivia Mun in a bathing suit :D

The 360 is like your grandma in a bathing suit :(

and I have to say the graphics on Olivia Mun blow anything on your grandmother out the water :P

62. spiderLAW

TEA,
    Whoa!! Thanks dude! Shit, now i’ll never play with my 360 again….nice going…lol

63. MushroomStamp

@61 as was proven with RDR.. oh wait.. they were not better on the PS3. Will you please stop being a troll! All your going to do site 2 games over and over and over and over and over.. UC2 and GOW3.. but guess what… Neither were really known for their multiplayer. The differences in graphics on the 2 systems are really minimal. I prefer Multiplayer on the 360 because of the Chat. For single player I prefer whichever system the game looks better on. For some games like RDR, it’s better on 360. I can’t really think of any game that is cross platform that looks better on the PS3, although I’m sure there is 1 or 2 but they aren’t coming to mind.

Also, the controller for the PS3 sucks balls. I am reallly looking forward to the Power A controller for the PS3 so I can play more comfortably.

64. Gekidami

Dont you fanboys ever get tired of exchanging blows?

65. MushroomStamp

Again.. not a fanboy.. I have stated clearly my fondness of each system for different reasons. Hence the reason I own both of them. I merely express the features that I like better on one system or the other. I like both system, just hate the Ps3 controller.

66. Gekidami

TEA owns both of them to…

If you dont want to come across as being a fanboy, then stop posting like one.

67. MushroomStamp

TEA Bashes the 360 non-stop. I don’t bash the Ps3. I do not post like a fanboy. A fanboy is a blind follower. I could give a shit who makes a system, I only care about the functionality.

68. spiderLAW

Wii is the best anyways!

69. G1GAHURTZ

Cross game chat is (obviously) good for when you want to talk to someone who isn’t playing the same game as you.

I use it loads for:

Asking someone if they want to join a game… Talking to someone playing another (new) game that I don’t own to ask if they recommend said game… Just having a chat with friends… etc.

Some people use it to cheat at games, but overall, it’s a feature that makes community gaming easier.

It’s much better than continually typing messages on a virtual keyboard, anyway.

70. ensabahnur

It makes sense, the two systems cater to different audiences in a way, there are multi platform titles but you still have your console specific, Gears and Halo over Uncharted and Little Big Planet and God of War, reasons to play both but not everyone has the budget for both. Its not about whats better but what appeals to you.

71. theevilaires

“TEA Bashes the 360 non-stop”.

I do? :D

72. OlderGamer

Honestly the headset, cheap as it is, packed into most xb360 might be a very overlooked ingrediant to the MS formula.

Just for the record Erth, the top part of the quote you had for my last post, was something I quoted from someone else. Of course PS2 outsold xbox.

In a sense I think that is part of the trouble in this fan war to begin with. For two generations Sony has had the best selling platform. Their fans have become used to owning the only hardware that really was worth owning(their pov, not mine I loved the Dreamcast). Fast forward to now and some of them can’t handle not only sharing the spot light, but infact having their long fav system of choice in last place. Think about it.

So many gamers are bandwagon folks. Folks that have to validate their own choices with what the guy sitting next to them is doing. Kinda said. So much energy going into trying to convince each other that THEY are making the right call. And of course if someone else likes something different, for whatever reason, then that person is dirt. An idiot. Loser with a capital L.

Crazy. All of that.

73. Gadzooks!

“Nothing that i know of. I guess its cool for people who cant keep their mouth shut for an hour or 2 a day”

Well thats an incredibly childish comment.

Cross game chat and persistent parties come in very useful when you have a large group of people playing for an evening, having conversations and moving between games because you can have new people join the party and prep games and modes, no need to reinvite a bunch of people when you move to other games, you can keep chat party-only so if you have sensitive ears you can screen out abuse, party chat can overcome in-game chat restrictions, etc..

Just because you dont use it doesnt mean that other people dont use it and find it a very useful feature.