Tippl: Activision “concerned” about Kinect and Move price points

Wednesday, 23rd June 2010 10:51 GMT By Joe Anderson

tonyhawkride

Activision COO Thomas Tippl has said that his company is taking a cautious approach when it comes to Microsoft’s Kinect and PlayStation Move.

Speaking to Gamasutra at E3, Tippl said he is “absolutely” concerned about high price points for both devices.

“I think as a publisher, you have to be concerned about how the price drives a lot of the outcome of how big of an install base there’s going to be.”

A successful install base will be critical to securing Activision’s support, Tippl added.

“The bigger the install base, the more likely that you can make sense out of your investment,” he said.

“So, the lower the price, the better. In this economic environment, it’s probably more important than ever… We’ll have to see how much of an install base they’re going to develop.”

Tippl said Activision will take a selective approach when choosing which of its games will include motion support.

“We have a few franchises where we think this could be an interesting value to improve the experience for the player,” he said.

“Tony Hawk is an example. We have our Rapala Fishing franchise. But it’s not going to be something that will be in every game, because I don’t think it’s one size fits all. It’s not going to enhance the experience for every game.”

PlayStation Move will be released in September this year. Kinect will be released in November.

1. Blerk

They don’t seem to be ‘concerned’ about their own price points.

2. StolenGlory

@Blerk.

Was just thinking that. Ignorance works in funny ways.

3. The_Deleted

Blerk, I came onto say exactly the same thing. They were concerned about the price of the PS3, too.
    But the truth is people are paying Activisions prices.

4. StolenGlory

And anyway, how can they be concerned about the price-point for Move. It’s £49.99 for the whole schebang.

5. Blerk

Providing you only want to play one player. And don’t want to play the dual-dildo games.

Edit: lol, that didn’t sound quite so bad in my head! :-D

6. Robo_1

You’re spot on though Blerk. Hearing Activision publicly air concerns over the price of other companies products is proper lol.

Given that they want to change their public image, it’s clear that they remain as totally clueless as to why they’re so despised as they ever have been.

7. freedoms_stain

Activision have never backed expensive peripherals though, right?

8. Blerk

Definitely not. Never. Not even once.

9. LordCancer

@5 sign me up! i can out dildo u any day the week! lol

10. DeSpiritusBellum

@1 Probably because their price points have proved an overwhelming success.

I don’t like paying more for my games, but the fact that people are fully ready to pay 60 euro per game and 13 euro per DLC package, still unequivocally proves that Activision were right to make the assumption that they would. It’s simply good business sense.

You can’t blame Activision, they aren’t hypnotizing people or pointing guns at anyone. They’re just a business. It’s a mindless creature made only to generate money and want even more in turn.

It’s too easy to say “Oh this publisher is making me take more money out of my wallet than I’d like” – Well, maybe we’re just too rich for our own good.

11. Phoenixblight

You are forgetting about their 100$ piece of plastic that you have pay for to play their games that break within months of use. You are generally right except the music genre has fallen 30-50% because of Activision putting out so many GH games. Guess its time for a new POS peripheral.

12. OlderGamer

Blerk, don’t ever stop posting on this site. Ever.

13. DeSpiritusBellum

@11 I missed that one. I haven’t really been following rhythm games. Personally I think there’s a lot more wrong with them than simply expensive plastic.