Remedy: Wake sequel still not “confirmed”

Wednesday, 23rd June 2010 11:43 GMT By Joe Anderson

alanwake

Remedy franchise boss Oskari Hakkinen has said the developer still can’t “confirm” an Alan Wake sequel, with Microsoft apparently wanting more DLC episodes for the original first.

Speaking to IGN, Hakkinen said, “Microsoft are throwing the idea around of more episodes, but… we’re a small team.

“We wouldn’t really be able [to create more episodes] — if we were to confirm a sequel at some point, which we’d like to do relatively soon.”

Hakkinen said that although Remedy is confident the first episode will go down well with fans, the studio was just going to wait and “see how the attach rate” goes before anything else is decided.

Remedy, though, seems very keen to get things moving, with Hakkinen saying:

“We’re in a limbo at the moment where neither of us are talking about it. Microsoft have an option for it. That was in the deal a long time ago… and I don’t see why they wouldn’t. We’re happy with the partnership and they’re happy with the game.

“I think it fits in their portfolio quite nicely. I don’t see any reason why we wouldn’t continue with Microsoft and why we wouldn’t renew the IP… We definitely want a sequel, of course.”

Finally, Hakkinen said that if the studio was to start production on a sequel, it would probably only take around 18 months.

“Max Payne 1 took us also five years to make. Max Payne 2 took us 18 months. I think we’d be looking at something of a similar cycle.”

Episode 1 of the new DLC for Alan Wake, named The Signal, will be released on July 27 for 560 MS points or for free if you bought the game at release. Episode 2 currently has no date.

Thanks, mathare92.

1. Erthazus

i’m sure this time it’s going to be multiplatform (PC, 360) because it sold not much.

I’m really surprised why it did bad in Europe. Europe are fans of atmosphere games. Especially from the creators of Max Payne.

2. Patrick Garratt

That doesn’t sound very promising, to be honest.

3. mington

i played with Alan for the first time last night, the game looks amazing

poor old rusty

4. Razor

I doubt it would be multi…MS will surely own the IP. Have we actually got any concrete numbers for Alan Wake yet?

5. Dralen

*sigh* I wish Remedy were making Max Payne 3. I just know that Max Payne 3 won’t be as dark and gritty as the previous games, story probably won’t be as good either.

6. AHA-Lambda

Actually that isnt reassuring at all =/

i expect remedy to say something more definitive than that. And you can bet MS had quite high hopes for this after all that weren’t met.

Also I thought it was overrated aswell >_>

7. Erthazus

@5 Rockstar is making it. I think it will be awesome.

8. mington

I don’t think they advertised it enough, it should’ve had tv commercials showing off the graphics and some of the intense action, might’ve shifted a few more copies

9. Dralen

@7 hmmm maybe…we’ll see.

10. freedoms_stain

From friends whose taste is fairly compatible with my own I’ve got the impression that AW is pretty mediocre.

Shame given how impressive it looked when it was 1st revealed (PC exclusive).

11. Erthazus

@10 Yeaaah, at that time game looked like Crysis, but now, yeah… Kinda mediocre, but they are small team.

12. Blerk

I just started playing this last night too! :-)

I think maybe Microsoft got the marketing all wrong for this one, it just didn’t seem to have the oomph behind it that a lot of their self-published games do. The same thing seems to be happening with Crackdown 2 as well, which is kind of concerning – it’s like there’s a two-tier level of support for their own games. Which is just plain weird.

13. Gekidami

If MS dont expect a game to do well, they dont sink money into advertising it. Simple as.

14. JonFE

I, for one, enjoyed the game enough to wish for a sequel! Far from mediocre, if you ask me…

15. NGCes26294BIV

Did people really expect this to sell well? Really?

Stephen King-alike with flashlights instead of guns does not sound like a winner to me.

16. Gekidami

Wrong crowd to, the 360 isnt about SP only games. I think Alan Wake is like the second first party game on 360 to have no MP in the 5 years the platforms been on sale.

17. mathare92

According to VGChartz(http://www.vgchartz.com/game.php?id=13817) since release, it’s sold 472,431 copies worldwide and 181,846 in Europe.

18. AHA-Lambda

OUCH!! i know vgchartz is not always the best indicator for sales but MAN!

19. Erthazus

@15 Heavy Rain for it’s niche genre sold fantastic.

But Alan Wake was a shooter and had 1st party support.

“181,846 in Europe.”

thats really bad, i don’t understand how it sold 180K really.

20. OlderGamer

I think its marketing was underwhelming.

I had little interest to play the game. But when I recieved my Pal Alan Wake set up, I gave it a go. I was extremly impressed. It was on the short side, but was a great ride.

After watching me play, both my teens are playing it too. I just think someone droped the ball when it came to pushing the game.

EDIT:

Sorry Blerk, you said basicly the samething. Didn’t mean to copy you. Next I wait till I have my caffine, before I post :)

21. NGCes26294BIV

“i don’t understand how it sold 180K really.”

Like I said, Stephen King eith flashlights. Not a recipe for success.

22. itsucks

@1: STFU, the NPDs results aren’ even out, dumbfucks. SHitcharz numbers, lol.

23. AHA-Lambda

to be fair marketing this wouldn’t have been easy in my eyes anyway.

calling it a “psychological action thriller” all the time on the box, trailers etc did not help. Its deliberately obtuse for what is just an action game with some supernatural elements.

24. Blerk

I believe ‘Stephen King’ is kind of popular. Why couldn’t such a game be a success if done and marketed correctly?

25. DaMan

@Erthazus
    “Heavy Rain for it’s niche genre sold fantastic.

But Alan Wake was a shooter and had 1st party support.”

’1st party support’ ? HR was published and heavily marketed by Sony as well, wasn’t it.

26. NGCes26294BIV

“I believe ‘Stephen King’ is kind of popular.”

So are a lot of people – Clive Barker, George Romero, etc, but their games were flops too, right?

27. CrashKeks

„Ozz“ Häkkinen talk about that in a video interview with a german Website too.
    answers are in english.

28. Blerk

Clive Barker and George Romero’s games were shit, though.

29. JonFE

Undying was not shit!!! It had its moments…

30. Blerk

:-)

31. DaMan

Undying was good.

32. AHA-Lambda

undying has not aged well ;(

33. NiceFellow

Alan Wake should have been 360/PS3/PC multiplatform, focused on gameplay and not trying to be some ‘next big thing’ of graphics and it would have sold well enough with that base.

On 360 only it seemed doomed to mediocre sales at best, simply too niche for the platform no matter how much it was pushed (which wasn’t very much in the end).

34. DaMan

does anybody know the overall figures for it?

35. Blerk

The US figures are delayed because of the NPDs buggering about this month.

UK figures are never forthcoming, but it reached number 2 in the all formats chart on release and is still in the charts six weeks later so it can’t be doing that badly over here. Europe could be another matter altogether, of course.

36. DaMan

The US figures are delayed because of the NPDs buggering about this month.

ah, right I forgot about that!

37. The Hindle

Its always a testament if a game has sold well if people on your friends list has bought it, only 2 guys have played this on my list. I wouldnt expect a sequel imo

38. AHA-Lambda

@33 – when you put it that way and knowing the ps3 audience vs 360 audience I think it would be fair to say this game would have done better as a ps3 exclusive rather than 360 exclusive.

39. DaMan

Hindle, are you serious :) ??

40. The Hindle

It doesnt help the game is pretty poor as well my opinion obviously, Alan wake narrates everthing he sees and its so fucking annoying. The gameplay is pretty much shine light then shoot rinse and repeat etc.

41. The Hindle

@Daman i am yea why?

42. Blerk

I’m still not entirely sure why they ditched the PC version.

Incidentally, at least a quarter of my friends list have played it in the last few weeks, so it might say more about your friends than the game itself, Hindle. :-D

I do wonder whether it suffered from launching too close to Red Dead, though – pretty much all of the games that launched around the same time have underperformed. Blur and Split/Second, for instance.

43. The Hindle

How many friends do you have though, games like Modern warfare or Halo or Gears most of my friends list have played those games and they have sold well its not a reliable way to judge a games sales but it gives a rough estimate.

44. DaMan

.. well you have to have a crapload of Xbox friends for one, and even so that’s no way of judging the sales.

even a poll on Gamefaqs is better.

45. Blerk

78, I think. I fully agree that’s it’s not a reliable way to test, though – it says more about the types of people you hang around with rather than actual sales.

Although I’d say that at least three quarters (if not more) of my friends were playing Red Dead in week one, so maybe there’s something in it after all? :-)

46. The Hindle

When Alan Wake came out no one on my list was playing it and for a AAA new Microsoft exclusive i found that suprising.

Obviously Microsoft have not given out sales data and thats unsual for them as say for Halo or Gears they tell you within a few days how well its doing. Its a rough way like i said but it shows if a game is popular or not.

47. The Hindle

I dont mean it gives sales data i mean it shows if a game is popular or not, should have worded it better :D

48. JonFE

Blerk, there are two possible reasons for ditching the PC version in my mind, both of them not painting a great picture for MS.

1. They wanted all interested customers to get the x360 version -even purchase the console if necessary- to get another x360 big hit in their arsenal. Not to mention that potential DLC sales have been more or less established in the console land but not so much in PC land.

2. The PC version was technically much better than the x360 one, in terms of screen resolution and anti-aliasing for instance, making the x360 version look poor in comparison.

All in all, it will be a crying shame if they ditch the sequel.

49. DaMan

it doesn’t, it says more about your friends like Blerk said, lulz.

and I bet almost every single 360 owner played at least one Halo game on his Xbox, the examples you used were too trivial and obvious.

50. Blerk

It seems weird to cancel it completely though, JonFE. Why not just say ‘it’ll be out later, we’re concentrating on the Xbox version’? And if the PC version wasn’t technically better then there was something very, very wrong, so surely it’d be no surprise to anyone if the PC version turned out looking better?

Reason 1 rings more true for me, but if that’s what they did then it absolutely didn’t work for them – look at the bile that was generated from the PC community as a result of the announcement. I’m guessing round about none of those guys actually went out and got the 360 version after that.

Reason 3 would be, of course, that it flat out wasn’t anywhere near done because they’d been putting all the effort into the 360 version at Microsoft’s behest. But if that was true, what was to stop them doing a ‘quick and dirty’ port of the 360 version to the PC right afterwards?

So many things about Alan Wake’s final stages of development make no sense at all. I hope one day we get the full story.

51. The Hindle

Well my friends are all into the kind of games like Alan wake, they play Silent hill or Resi and no one bought it. If everyone on your list has played a game it shows its popular if they dont then they rather have not heard of it. Take note when a game comes out how many people buy it.

52. DaMan

well, then if you have like 100+ friends, that are into a certain kind of games, and noone played it then it ‘s somewhat telling. but still it’s no way of judging. it might be popular in certain regions, where you don’t have (many) friends.

53. The Hindle

Thats why i said rough estimate its better then nothing though. I am intrigued as to why Microsoft have not updated Alan wakes sales.

54. DaMan

it’s very rough though. I don’t see much point in something like that tbh.

anyway, I also think piracy might be an issue with a game like AW, more so in Europe. many people who are into that type of gameplay mod their 360s, it really can’t be compared to ie online titles.

55. Blerk

That’s another very sweeping assumption, DaMan.

56. AHA-Lambda

@40 – i agree, the game has moments of brilliance but its ultimately quite shallow gameplay wise.

And that ending, that ****ing ending?!? FFFFFUUUUUU-

That ending actually could have worked if it weren’t for the fact it clearly sets up for a sequel, it makes me think AW would have been better as a standalone entity. That piss stain of an ending makes god of war 3′s look god like in terms of closure in comparison.

57. DaMan

Blerk, yeah.

but I think it did make an impact on such a niche single player game.

58. The Hindle

It so wanted to be a tv show or a film, thats all very well so long as you have the gameplay to back it up. AW didnt.

59. Gadzooks!

I really hope AW gets a sequel as it’s easily the most atmospheric game I’ve played. Ever.

It’s also one of the best looking games this gen, which is an added bonus.