Crackdown 2 demo rated third highest on XBL

Wednesday, 23rd June 2010 16:51 GMT By Joe Anderson

crackdown2logo

Ruffian’s Gary Liddon has revealed via Twitter that the Crackdown 2 demo has already hit record heights.

Speaking on the social site, the biz and management chap, as he calls himself, said:

“Crackdown2 demo is currently 3rd highest rated demo of all time on LIVE. And Crackdown 1 is number 6.”

The 30-minute demo for Crackdown 2 lets you earn achievements which are then unlocked when you play the full game.

You can purchase the full version of Crackdown 2 come July 9.

1. xino

why?

because you can unlock achievements?

2. MushroomStamp

While the original crackdown is one of my favorite all time games, I am left a little dissapointed with C2 demo. The controls feel a bit off. #1 complaint for me is you can no longer lock onto an enemy and melee them. Melee only works when I let go of the left trigger. This causes aiming problems. #2 complaint is the lock on. I have been playing C1 for the past week in anticipation so the controls are fresh in my memory. The lock-on in C2 does not seem to be accurate and often grabs onto things I don’t want. #3 The HUD! it’s just too busy and too much, I don’t like the crap on my screen, it wasn’t in the first. I don’t like the mini-map. Why dont’ developers put the HUD up against the edge of the screen instead of several inches away? I want as much of the gameplay visible as possible. Instead it’s over whelmed but the HUD in my way where it can easily be flush to the edges.

I am really hoping these are Demo issues and don’t reflect in the final version.

3. G1GAHURTZ

Why dont’ developers put the HUD up against the edge of the screen instead of several inches away.

It’s usually a design requirement because of the minimum viewing areas on older SDTV’s. Some of them cut large amounts off the full screen size, so they wouldn’t be able to see the HUD if it was flush to the edges.

Some games (such as MW2) let you adjust the HUD, so they may put that option in if it isn’t already there.

4. MushroomStamp

Giga, that’s really all I’m asking is the ability to control that HUD. I think it should be standard like adjusting audio or gamma. I would think though that it knows i’m in HD mode and then be able to adjust accordingly. Programming for the Least Common Denominator sucks.

Well, it’s a nice dream anyway :)

5. Blerk

I’m sure I read somewhere yesterday that they’d said the auto-targeting wasn’t quite right in the demo and that it was already ‘fixed’ in the full game. Buggered if I can find it now, though. :-D

6. DrDamn

Yeah it’s much improved apparently, a bit shocking in the demo.

7. Blerk

Incidentally, I wonder if it’s a coincidence that the bad guys in the game are called ‘Cell’? :-D

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Decided to delete my comment since I’ve got nothing productive to add. :) demo just did nothing for me is all.

9. Blerk

:shock:

10. The Hindle

To say this is out in a few week ive seen no marketing on it.

11. Blerk

There are ads in this month’s Edge. Not seen anything on the telly or anything though, although that’s not really surprising given that I barely watch any telly (and no adverts!).

12. DrDamn

You are using an ad blocker on this very page then I presume? :)

13. revolting

@2 Unfortunately I find myself agreeing with you. I’m a huge fan of Crackdown 1, and have many fond memories. I was very much looking forward to the sequel, but sadly, I found the demo of CD2 to be incredibly disappointing. It just feels so very off in so many areas. I know it’s only the demo, so it may be unfair to compair, but coming fresh out of the sublime Just Cause 2, it felt incredibly lacking in many, many areas. And I don’t just mean the obvious graphical difference, either – the controls feel so imprecise and clumsy, and very little of the original’s gleeful charm appears to remain.

The graphics were a bit of a rough slap in the face, though. It’s like stepping back in time. Obviously the original Crackdown had a very distinctive comic-book look, which some loved (myself included) but an awful lot of people hated and called simplistic, unimpressive, whatever. It isn’t the graphic style of it that’s the problem… Ruffian simply don’t appear to have done much anything at all to improve upon or polish the half-decade old engine. Sure, the draw distance is a lot further, as seen in those comparison shots a month or so ago, but so what? This is a balls to the wall, in your face mayhem-o-thon. Who cares whether you can see 15 miles or 20? It’s the close up stuff that needed improving, not the skyline. I love the visual style of the game, that’s fine, but the technology presenting it looks and feels five years old. Mostly because it is five years old. And I know this was already common knowledge, so it should be no surprise to anyone… but actually seeing it in action and playing it is so very jarring when you’ve just come from Just Cause 2 or Red Dead Redemption or any contemporary open-worlder. “Dated” doesn’t even begin to sum it up. It really is like taking a leap back in time and pretending the last three years didn’t happen.

I’m disappointed. I’ll still get it, and no doubt get some degree of fun out of it… after all, it’s still Crackdown. But it could have and should have been so much better than it is.

14. Gekidami

Just wait a year, i’m sure the rose-tinted glasses will be back and you’ll all be going on about how awesome CD2 was. :D

15. LordCancer

@3 i think they call it overscan? anyway it effect crt’s and even modern lcd/plasmas in general. my high end sony crt hdtv cuts about an inch off both sides. Its really frustrating, I lose alot of info like position or current lap and ammo reserves. Something that boggles my mind is there is a vertical adjustment in the menu but not a horizontal adjustment.

16. revolting

It’s a lazy man’s solution to catering for both standard aspect and widescreen TVs. If you’re on standard aspect, the view ends at the edge of the UI. If you’re on widescreen, you get a little extra non-game-altering viewing space on the sides. One layout that fits both screens. Instead of, you know, giving you optimisation options for both, or anything thoughtful like that. Hell, in most games these days, it’s not even an option, it’s just automatically taken care of by the game based on your console’s screen settings. This is the laziest way out.

On the plus side, one thing I didn’t mention when I was busy being disappointed, the new menus are pretty swish. Shame they add nothing to the game proper. Also the map is unecessarily cumbersome to pan about. But it looks pretty, so that has to count for something.

Also the bonus of the low-techness of it all; sideswiping several hundred zombies with a handbreak turn with no juttering at all was pretty entertaining.

Despite my moaning, I am determined to have fun with this game out of love for its predecessor. I just wish this were an actual sequel and not just a slightly less cohesive repackaging of an aging gem, which instead of being polished has had apocalyptic dirt smeared all over it.

It does make you wonder what they’ve been doing all this time, though. A year and a bit seems a little much to faff about with a map editor, chuck some zombies in and do some draw distance tweaks.

17. frostquake

IMO……

I loved CD1…But after Playing the Demo of CD2…I felt like I was playing a cartoon? It was weird…I was so hyped to play the Demo even if it did have a STUPID TIMER! I found myself trying to Force myself to like it. I can’t put my finger on it, but something about it is different, and not just slightly different, but deeply different. It is like Looking at the Simpsons the way they were, I can’t Go back I like the way the Simpsons look now…Releasing CD2 feels like a step back, like it is CD1. I went and got my copy of CD1 and put it in, and it was very clear that CD1 looks much better the CD2, but to me that shouldn’t matter too much if the gameplay is there, but for some reason it doesn’t feel like the gameplay is there either.

I have canceled my pre-buy of the game, because NO WAY is it worth $60 US to me, I will buy it, but wait until it hits the New $37 US that Retail is doing.

SIGH…..Disappointed.

18. Blerk

Are you sure you lot didn’t download something else by accident? I can understand people who didn’t like the original still not liking the sequel, but I can’t really understand how big fans of the first game can be so bummed out by the second one when it really is ‘more of the same, and then a bit more’. :-|

19. revolting

Because it isn’t more of the same, it’s more of the same after being shoved ungracefully through Ruffian’s dirt-o-matic. It’s actually less captivating (to me, at least) than the original… there’s something tangibly not right about it.

But, more pointedly, because a sequel a few years later shouldn’t just be more of the same, it should be more of the same but better. This is also why I love Bioshock 1, but didn’t enjoy Bioshock 2 much at all. It’s not enough to just repackage it with a few filters sprinkled over the top. A good sequel needs to be further developed, improved, and grow at least a little. See Mass Effect 2 or Assassin’s Creed 2 – they both took the original and improved everything that was not so great with it.

20. mington

Could you cycle through your targets? That annoyed me, holding aim and getting locked on to an ice cream van in the middle distance whilst five guys were shooting at you.

The voice over was good