Yoshida: “Almost all” Sony game studios researching 3D

Tuesday, 22nd June 2010 18:04 GMT By Joe Anderson

shuheiyoshida2

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has said that “almost all” of Sony’s development studios are researching how to incorporate 3D into new titles.

Speaking in an interview with PlayStation.com, Yoshida said that it’s much easier for the tech to be included from the start instead of patching it into already-released games.

“Almost all WWS developers are researching how they can incorporate stereoscopic 3D technology into their games,” he said. “As these techniques are developed and shared among developers, we’ll see more games utilizing this cool new perspective.

“With regards to adding 3D technology to existing titles, it is much more difficult to do as the game engine has already been developed, and in most cases the development team has moved on to new titles.

“It is always better to adopt new technology into new titles, as the content can be created with stereoscopic 3D effects in mind.”

So far, Sony’s 3D line-up includes Gran Turismo 5, LittleBigPlanet 2, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, Killzone 3 and The Sly Cooper Collection, with more to be announced.

To prepare PS3 users for the 3D onslaught, Sony released a system update for the tech back in May, and another update allowing for 3D movies to be played on the console is expected by the end of the year.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. polygem

3d is for losers without the gift of imagination…(preordering 3ds)

2. Razor

I like Shuhei Yoshida. Kaz Hirai should be sacked, and Shu installed as SCE Prez and CEO.

3. mojo

never.
    kaz = legend

4. kingofscotland

I’m one of those who purchased a 3d telly, and no regrets, sky 3d is great and the stereoscopic games are immense, bring on kz3 and gt5 – the reason I bought 3d

5. DrDamn

@kingofscotland
    Which flavour did you get? Looking myself as I wanted a new tv and the premium for 3D is not too bad considering the quality of the tv.

6. dtyk

I must say that when 3d is done right, it’s worth every penny. I invested in 3d really early when Nvidia’s 3d vision came out, and I have zero regrets (aside from a pretty empty wallet at the time).

eg. L4D2 looking down from a high place kind of triggers my fear of height, which is… pretty awesome lol

7. Erthazus

Who thinks that Shuhei is an idiot must go masturbate.

you see amazing Uncharteds and LittleBigPlanets because of him.

Shuhei Yoshida and Kutaragi is what you see now out of Playstation.

8. kingofscotland

@ DrDamn I got the Samsung C750 from Dixons with TVFIVE code making it £873 and taking 3d out of it it is an amazing HD tv, plus the benefit of 3d makes it worthwhile, I highly recommend it to anyone.

9. Freek

So weird they are going all out on this when the technology is still so early, expensive and not fully developed at all yet. In a couple years when the glases are gone, the price comes down and the picture quality improves then it’ll be cool.

10. Withnail

Er, Uncharted and LBP were commissioned by Yoshida’s predecessor Phil Harrison :D

11. Erthazus

@10 Yoshida is responsible for all 1st party. Why Sony have the best 1st party studios? It’s because of Shuhei Yoshida.
    He likes to do something new always. Different games like Heavy rain and e.t.c.

12. Withnail

Yes I agree he’s doing a great job but he only took over that role from Phil Harrison in 2008. So he’s evidently not responsible for Uncharted or LBP.

13. Erthazus

@12 I’m not sure about LBP, but i’m for 100% sure that he was responsible with Phil Harrison about Uncharted game not to mention other games like Heavy Rain and e.t.c.

He work his ass off bringing awesome frachises to the table.

14. DrDamn

@kingofscotland
    Cool. Very nice deal. The Shops/TV companies are all tending to push the high end TVs but there are some very good sets at under half the price like you have there. Did you get your free pair of specs through the Samsung website too?

General point on Yoshida – I have a hell of a lot of time for him. Always talks sense, has a lot of respect for the competition and understands that Sony made mistakes at the beginning. The only one of the top Sony people who doesn’t make me cringe and in the perfect position to influence things.